Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SueL4

Low- Carb Store Bought Products

SueL4

I try to prepare my meals from whole products I cook myself but sometimes I need some low carb store bought prepared items. I've used Dr.Praegers in the past, love my Carb Smart pop, but my other go-to products are too high in carbs for me now. I'd appreciate any of your tried and true recommendations.

Thanks.

Sue

Seagal

I know most people don't like Walden Farms products, but I have found some to be helpful.  Last night I used their basil tomato product with zuchinni & peppers with parmesan, with a bit of seasoning it was very good.  I like the chocolate dip over a slice of the basic bread recipe I've been making lately.  Some of their salad dressings (thousand island, balsamic, pear) come in handy in a pinch.

I am focused on whole, non-processed foods, but the above products are nice to have in the pantry.

SueL4

I prefer to eat whole foods but sometimes the prep is difficult for me. I cook large enough portions so I have enough for a few leftover meals. I wish there were some healthier frozen meal options.

jwags

I like whole foods too. I usually avoid anything that says low carb or safe for diabetics. I use Walden Farms occasionally but not a lot. The only thing I do buy off the shelves is an organic gluten free sunflower seed bread from Costco, WASA rye and 7 grain crackers, the store brand organic pizza sauce (3 carbs), ATKINSaid bars and Kelp and Shiratake noodles made from Konjac root. Everything else I make from scratch. Frozen dinners are way too expensive for me.

Kit

There's the Atkins dinners.  I make use of them in a pinch at times (maybe once or twice a month) and the ones I've tried play nicely with my BG.  Not a preferred option, but when life gets in the way, its useful to have a couple in the freezer.

Being IT means I get to work all sorts of hours and can sometimes spend days only leaving the office long enough to go home, shower, sleep, rinse and repeat.

SueL4

Yes, for those days when you just can't cook for one reason or another.

Pizza sauce- my next project will be cauliflower crust pizza.

SueL4

Yikes. I guess I'll re- think that. Those look like they'd be difficult for me to make. I may buy those 6g carb tortillas to use as the crust. For a once in a while treat. Maybe I'm safer with my chicken and burgers and green veg.

Moonpie

those steam in the bag, frozen veggies are easy to make, & some precooked brats, that way dinner can be ready in minutes. (microwave) 

Seagal

Sue, they have 3 net carb tortillas, can't remember if it is La Tortilla or Mission.

Yes, it can be a project making the cauli pizza, but it goes fast once you get started.  As good as it was, I note that I haven't made it since February!

Ela

Hotdogs (you can buy uncured, even organic ones) can be eaten without bun but just like any other protein - with veggies.  We eat them with peas from the can when there is no time to make anything else or some salad, or - whatever you like, really, I actually like it with... boiled cabbage.  Just boil it in salty water till it's soft enough and add butter when it's done.  it goes with hotdogs beautifully IMO.   Yeah, I know - boiled cabbage is not many people's favorite, but we like it in our family.   

SueL4

Those steam bags of veg really come in handy.

La Tortilla or Mama Leon have low carb. I didn't write the net carb number, sorry. Somehow, when I work with cauliflower, I always wind up with the little pieces all over the place. :)

SueL4

Ela,

I hear what you're saying about boiled cabbage. It's all a matter of what suits you and your family. I enjoy foods from my childhood that wouldn't go over well with most people.

Java

thanks for that pizza crust recipe, jwags ~ i don't believe i've tried that one ~ the cauli crust i like okay and the store bought pizza sauce isn't too bad on carbs

guy's bbq sauce is good ~ you can get it at netrition

low carb tortillas are a staple in my house ~ i normally get the maria and ricardo's from netrition, but i'll buy the small lc mission ones if i run out and can find them ~ one of the flat out breads is low enough in carbs and i bought it recently and i found that it was soooo gooooood with a lil mayo, zero carb salami and zero carb cheese ~ YUM!!

i HATE walden farms products and refuse to purchase any more of their things ~ every single item i bought of theirs went into the trash can :(

SueL4

I often buy from netrition. I didn't see the Maria and Ricardo's brand until you mentioned it. Lots of fiber. Thanks.

Stl-T2

I really like lc tortillas as pizza crusts. One large tortilla makes a good size pizza for me.

I also have a few frozen Atkins dinners on hand, but to be honest, I'm more apt to just have cottage cheese for dinner in a pinch.

My husband uses a lot of GNC Lean Shake 25 shakes, so we also have those around. They are satisfying from a perspective of hunger, but I find I miss chewing. They're great if you're really short on time, though.

jwags

The trick with cauliflower is ricing it. I use my Kitchen Aid shredding blade to do it. You can use a hand grater but the pieces fly everywhere.

Seagal

I use my Ninja storm to rice the cauli and sometimes do extra and keep in a sealed bowl to have on hand for various dishes.  Before I got the Ninja, I used to just chop it up and yes, quite a bit made it from the cutting board to the floor :)

I have thrown away a good deal of Walden products, guess I've gotten used to the ones I now use.  I remember taking some back to the store and asking how they could possibly sell such awful stuff, and got my money back.  Spose taste buds change after a while.

Moonpie

I cook enough chicken or pork most weekends, to eat during the week as well, It is a throwback from my working days, but it is still nice to have chicken legs or a lump of cooked pork, to be the base of a quick weeknight meal. We like leftovers in this house.

Moonpie

eggs are a quick & easy meal too, I sometimes make an egg, veggie & cheese dish in the microwave. Just whip eggs, add some cheese & whatever veg or meats need to be used up & microwave. If I make a big one, I use it for lunch & breakfast too. Shrimp can be thawed really quickly, so I keep a bag in the freezer, always. Defrost & have on a lc tortilla or in a salad & dinner is done :)

SueL4

Thanks for the advice. I think I've adjusted my thinking a bit to realize there really isn't any substitute for regular home cooked foods. I'll just cook in larger batches. I also think I'll do better eating the same foods each day that seem to be bringing my sugar way down. A few different things once in a while, like pizza on a low carb tortilla - wish I had the ingredients now but I will this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.