Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snickers

Byetta

princesslinda

I took it for a few months when it first came out.  Had about a week of pretty severe nausea, which the doctor said would happen, then it went away as quickly as it came.  It helped a lot on post-meal numbers, actually allowing me a little more freedom food-wise.  Didn't have much weight loss on it, but I was eating pretty low carb when I started it.  I stopped it due to issues with severe constipation. 

Snickers

thanks for the info.

You being a moderator, is there some reason I cant look up profiles? it says I don't have permission? :o

modcarb

I used Byetta for years and now use its cousin Victoza.

Just keep some diet ginger ale on hand for the first week or so.

I didn't have a problem but some do and the diet ginger ale helps. 

Snickers

I used Byetta for years and now use its cousin Victoza.

Just keep some diet ginger ale on hand for the first week or so.

I didn't have a problem but some do and the diet ginger ale helps. 

what is the ginger ale for? ive been on it now for 4 days and no side effects so far. so far ive woke up with much better numbers (150) but some bad highs after eating (high 200's)

TX_Clint

Snickers, you need more posts for all the functions to be available. I can't remember how many but it's not a lot. Maybe the Princess will chime in.

princesslinda

thanks for the info.

You being a moderator, is there some reason I cant look up profiles? it says I don't have permission? :o

15 is the magic number.  Make 15 posts and you can see profiles and create your signature line.

Snickers

15 is the magic number.  Make 15 posts and you can see profiles and create your signature line.

Thanks, although I don't understand how I have 7 friends already if I couldn't look at profiles?

I added these folks when I first signed up.

Byettazoid

Hi, I've been taking Actos, Metformin for more than five years.  The results have been very good lowering A1c form 9.4 to high 5's to low 6's.  The only problem I sometimes had was a feeling of panic starvation every once in a while.  (Blood sugar too low for me?)  I have this theory that if you are used to fasting glucose levels running 100-130 and it drops into the 80-90 range you will panic, even though the BS range is quite a bit better than might be normal.  (system shock?)  Doughnuts of the world beware.

The actual reason for this message is that over the years insurance has covered my Byetta and diabetic supplies for about $20/month.  Now I have Medicare advantage and the cost runs from $125 to $250 per month for Byetta alone as I hit the doughnut hole.  Retail cost is around $525/pen.  Does anyone here have experience or guesses about using Actos, Metformin, and another oral medication in place of Byetta?  Something else being Glypizide or Glyburide?  In 2015 I had a few extra pens so I was able to escape the "hole."  I also took only the morning shot and ended up with a 6.1 A1c.  No other signs/symtoms other than dry skin.

ronmesnard

Metformin would be the way to go unless you are taking all you can or have kidney issues.  It provides the EXACT protection as Byetta.  I can't see any reason why you were prescribed the more expensive solution.  Metformin some how irritates the lower gut into producing the same hormone in Byetta.  Metformin is a little weaker but is a smarter route.  It also produces nausia because of the rise in hormone level.  Eventually, your body adjusts to the hormone so taking Byetta after maxing out metformin causes less side effects.  These types of drugs are superior to most of the other types of T2 drugs.

Actos reduces insulin resistance differently than the above and may not protect your body from diabetes as well as the above drugs.  There is a class action suit against Actos for being a dangerous drug.  It increases your risk of bladder cancer by 30%.  Fortunately bladder cancer is fairly rare and is one of the better cancers to get. If I remember correctly, bladder cancer risk is like 1.2 of 1000 with Actos it is still less than 2 per 1000.   I was on the med for more than 5 years. I only stopped using it when it was certain it involved some elevated risk.  I may even reconsider going back on the drug.  I need more help controlling my D.  It was more effective and cheaper than Januvia that I take now in its place.  Januvia is part of the above drugs but slows the destruction of what the above drugs add.

Glypizide is cheap like metformin.  It has many down sides and doesn't control diabetes it just boosts your insulin level.  Most of us equate diabetes with sugar levels which is wrong.  Diabetes destroys your body regardless of your sugar level.  Drugs that reduce the disease are better for you than ones that only reduce sugar levels.   I would take Actos over Glypizide because it is safer and probably almost as cheap.  Both come in a generic form.

Byettazoid

I hate to necro this thread but wonder if any have had experience with alogliptin containing products like: Kazano, Nesini, or Januvia.

Why?  I currently use bytetta, actos, metformin.  AIG results have been firm at high 5 to low 6.  The K N J drugs are tier 3 on my formulary and Byetta is tier 5.

With the increased price of Byetta this year (2016), it is out of reach.  I'm going to check some drug interaction pages for the new with old drug combos.

Someone suggested trying metformin and actos together.  I might try this for a month or so and check BGs to check.   

Happy easter!  I sinned and ate one Cadbury egg.  Looking at the yearly drug costs stressed me out and there was only a doughnut hole to look out, so when I was weakest, the egg vanished.

BigMouithXXX

You might shop around for some drug company differed offers for a like drug.  I think they are giving away the once a week injections.  People are getting sick (GI distress) from them.  You had good results with bytetta.  You might do fine.  Patients taking once a day usually have mild to no stomach distress.  GLP-1 produces gastric distress.  Metformin, increases your GLP1s and bytetta and the once a weeks are almost pure GLP-1.

The are testing a new metformin.  It will be 40% more effective for the same dose.  It holds a promise that they can up the dose of this because it doesn't clog the kidneys like the original one. I am biding my time trying to hang in there waiting for it to come out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.