Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stl-T2

Anybody tried LaNouba marshmallows?

Stl-T2

I am having serious trouble resisting rice crispy treats when they show up at work or, really, anywhere.  They are my carby achilles heel.  Thought it might be worth attempting to find a low carb fix for my craving marshmallowy goodness.  But low carb marshmallows?  The mind boggles.  Anybody tried these (http://www4.netrition.com/lanouba_marshmallows_page.html) or have a recipe? If yes, do they do anything weird when they melt?  

princesslinda

One "real" marshmallow has 5.8 carbs.  I'd rather just have the real one in this case, all things being equal as sometimes the sugar alcohols affect my blood sugar same as regular sugar would.

princesslinda

Wish these folks (or any folks for that matter) could come up with a sugar free candy corn.  I didn't care for it as a child, but for some reason, now that i'm diabetic, I think about it every fall when I see it displayed. 

Kit

So what would you do with them?

I've never been a big marshmallow fan so I don't have a lot of creativity in that area.

I have seen some recipes around for low carb ones if you're willing to go through the effort.

macksvicky

Those chocolate covered ones look very good. But the sugar alcohols look like they may have an unwanted effect. You can try a package and see, hopefully it will be a better option than being tempted by the rice crispy treats.

Stl-T2

Maltitol is used in a lot of Atkins products and I seem to tolerate it fairly well.  I am a huge marshmallow fan.  Before D I used to just eat them straight out of the bag and maybe half a bag at a time.  

dowling gram

Even if you do use a marshmallow substitute you will still be adding all those carbs with the rice krispies. If I were you I'd try to find something that is just as satisfying and low carb. Have you ever tried low carb granola. There are lots of recipes on line. I like the one on "All day I dream about Food" The granola will give you the sweet with a satisfying crunch just like the rice krispie squares

Stl-T2
Even if you do use a marshmallow substitute you will still be adding all those carbs with the rice krispies. If I were you I'd try to find something that is just as satisfying and low carb. Have you ever tried low carb granola. There are lots of recipes on line. I like the one on "All day I dream about Food" The granola will give you the sweet with a satisfying crunch just like the rice krispie squares

Not yet, though it's high on my list of things to try.  I just have a hard time getting enthused about cooking in the summer.  

It's a good thought regarding substitution, but I don't think it would do it for me.  When I'm craving, say, chocolate, I don't much care what form it comes in - a  chocolate flavored protein shake will do the trick - but sometimes I need the real thing or a closer approximation.  My cravings for bananas, for instance, I keep in check by eating just one 1" piece whenever I can arrange it (bum it off a friend or a tiny serving off a buffet, usually).  I don't think a granola bar would do a thing to reign in my craving for rice crispy treats.  I might be able to just buy one of the ones at work and cut it into 8 pieces (they are huge) and treat myself to a piece anytime I have to resist a fresh batch in the cafeteria.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.