Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom24grlz

Questionz on LCHF diet

mom24grlz

I know I'm not diabetic, but I hope someone can still answer my questions. I have been doing a low carb high fat diet for 5 days now. So far I've eaten between 15-23 carbs each day. Right now my ketones are 1.5 on Ashleigh's blood ketones meter, which is at the beginning of moderate ketones. Am I in ketosis now? Or how high of ketones to be in it? Also does everyone experience "low carb flu"? So far I feel fine. Lastly will my body continue to put out ketones as long as I low carb?

dowling gram

15-23 doesn't seem like enough carbs. 30 is about the lowest I've heard people say here. To tell the truth I don't see your diet as being sustainable over the long term. If you are doing this to lose weight don't go at it whole hog. Pick a diet you can live with for the rest of your life or you will gain everything back when you decide you can't do it any more.

When I was first diagnosed I started with 30 carbs a day and gradually increased it to 50 a day. I never had "low carb flu"

I don't know anything about ketosis or ketones and frankly it's not a state I aim for

mom24grlz

I Don't skip meals. But I eat a lot of meat, cheeses, eggs, green veggies, lettuce, and water. I am not hungry. Actually when I did low calorie diet I always felt hungry. Not sure how long I can last. Once I reach my goal weight will add more carbohydrates in to my day in order to sustain my weight. I have made low carb biscuits, low carb pizza, and hamburhamburger on. Grilled portobello mushroom. I understand that being a diabetic you not wanting to go into ketosis. I was just hoping someone had info on LCHF diet. I have a friend who started this diet the same day as

Me.

OldTech

I eat 15-20 carbs per day along with only eating two meals with no snacks to manage my blood glucose. I have been doing 15-20g on a LCHF for over a year and half and the two meals (called intermittent fasting - 8 hours eating and 16 hours fasting) for just about a year. The reason for the intermittent fasting is to allow my blood glucose to return to my fasting levels (70's and 80's) prior to each meal. This keeps my 'spike' after a meal to less than 100 mg/dl.

I too am not hungry and have been maintaining my weight (BMI 21) and activity levels. I see no reason why I will not continue this diet. 

I would not worry about your ketones so long as you maintain your carb restriction. I do not measure at home, but I am pretty sure that I have been in ketosis since the beginning (you can smell the ketones in your urine). 

mom24grlz

Thanks. I asked a lady who has been low carving for 12 or more years. She said optimal is 1-3 on ketone meter.

jwags

I have been doing LC for over 8 years. Afew years ago Impurxhased the Nova Max ketone meter. Even on 20-30 csrbs I could not get above .5 on the meter. I am in the thin side and was wondering if that was the reason.

JanetP

There is at least one group on FB, probably more, dedicated to LCHF if you are doing it for weight loss rather than for blood sugar control.  You may want to check them out.

Orlando

I know I'm not diabetic, but I hope someone can still answer my questions. I have been doing a low carb high fat diet for 5 days now. So far I've eaten between 15-23 carbs each day. Right now my ketones are 1.5 on Ashleigh's blood ketones meter, which is at the beginning of moderate ketones. Am I in ketosis now? Or how high of ketones to be in it? Also does everyone experience "low carb flu"? So far I feel fine. Lastly will my body continue to put out ketones as long as I low carb?

Optimum Ketosis is from around 1.5 to 3 mmole BHOB/l according to Phinney and Volek . It takes some time to become fully adapted, you are still in the early stages but are doing extremely well. Most of us feel like crap in the induction phase  but soon get used to this new way of eating.Just make sure that you are getting enough fats to replace the carbohydrates ie your former energy source.

The level of ketosis seems to be very individual. On only 15 grams of carbs and 70 grams of protein per day I get values of around 6.5 mmoles BHOB/l. There is no advantage in getting values over 3mmoles/l again according to Phinney and Volek. .

One last point, you need more salt on this diet because you will be peeing out more fluids and with them salt. Lack of electrolytes can cause carb flue and cramps. You must remain well hydrated at all times.

mom24grlz

Thanks. I did hear about needing more salt. So far i'm not peeing anymore than normal. But i do tend to salt things a lot anyway! No ill side effects as of yet. But i think this is only day 6, so they may still come. Haven't checked ketones today. Not sure if i will. The ketone checking is just curiosity at this point.

TX_Clint

I have been eating under 30 carbs per day and drinking a lot of fluids for over 2 years with no issues. I don't even think about it anymore. It usually takes 2 or more weeks of under 30 carbs per day to achieve ketosis but everyone is different. Best of luck.

Forester

I also have been on a ketogenic LCHF diet for close to 18 months, with "about" 30g carbs/day.  I say "about', because my main source of carbs is home-made full-fat Greek-style yogurt, and I base my carb estimate on the published amount of carbs in commercial full-fat Greek yogurt.  However, I usually drain my yogurt of whey liquid a lot more than I assume is true for commercial Greek yogurt, until it becomes the consistency of cream cheese, much thicker than commercial brands.  So it is likely that my carb consumption is perhaps quite a bit less than 30 grams/day.  The resulting yogurt is probably extremely low carb, but I really can't give an exact number.

Added to my home-made breakfast Greek yogurt is about 10-12 blueberries (maybe 1/4 cup, enough to fill the bottom of a measuring cup without layering); about 5-6g carbs.  I eat no other fruit, unless it is a match (other berries).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.