Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proudmama

Very New to all this(diabetes) and not sure whats going on..Can someone please help?

Proudmama

Hello all. I was just diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I am 32 years old. This is all VERY new and I am very confused to why i even have this. I tested 7 months ago normal blood sugar and the 2 times before that. This has came on fast....this year sometime. My primary doctor thinks Type 1.5 autoimmune problem but he doesn't know for sure till I see the endocrinologist end of this month. My BS was 391 3 weeks ago...i was very thirsty and had to potty very often. I had blood work done, and my total proteins and globulin was a little high but everything else was good. My abdominal ultrasound only showed a gallstone. Any idea if type 1.5 comes on so sudden? I thought maybe my pancreas had a problem but so far it is showing to be okay....I am just so confused how I have this. I was put on Glypizide first at 5mg 1x a day, then 5mg 3x a day, now its at 10mg 2x a day and my morning BS now is at low to mid 200's. After a meal anywhere from high 200's to high 300's. It doesn't seem to be helping fully and I have cut sugar down so much and have been lowering my carb intake. Any ideas med wise? Anyone else get this come on so fast as well? I have no idea whats happening or why and its all a shock to me right now. I also have had 2 yeast infections in 1 month...that normal from diabetes? thanks for the help

DeusXM

I would say you need to go back and see the endo ASAP. it sounds to me like this isn't T1.5 at all. T1.5 is a gradual process. All your symptoms in fact point to T1 diabetes - T1 is very fast onset, leads to sudden, substantial increases in blood sugar, and does not respond to oral medication. I bet you're losing weight too, aren't you? Please note I am not trying to diagnose you or whatever as I don't know your full history, but based on the limited symptoms you have described, you sound very much like a typical T1.

You need to see a doctor now. Most doctors do not consider T1 to be possible in adult but it is actually pretty common, relatively speaking. If you have T1 you need to get immediate treatment as it means your body is missing a fundamental hormone, insulin. You will need to replace this insulin and you cannot do this through oral medication.

As for your other two questions:

Yeast infections are common in uncontrolled diabetes, as uncontrolled diabetes will cause you to sweat more, make that sweat high in glucose, and weaken your immune system - a 'perfect storm' for yeast growth. Happily, controlled diabetes will put you at the same risk as everyone else for yeast infections.

Why do you have this? You did NOTHING to bring this on yourself. I don't believe that T2 diabetes is self-inflicted, and I am 100% cast-iron certain that T1 diabetes is NOTHING to do with what you've eaten or your lifestyle or any of the choices you've made in your life. T1 is a genetic condition - since you were conceived, your DNA has contained bits of code which when combined, unfortunately pre-disposed your immune system to attack your islet cells. This might sound sad, but there was nothing you could do. It was always there, hiding in the shadows and waiting. The good news is that while you can't ever fully get rid of it, with the right treatment you can drive it back into the shadows so it can't hurt you.

But you need to see a doctor NOW. You cannot wait until the end of the month to see an endo

NoraWI

I agree with Deus completely! He has said all there is to say about it. It happened to me at age 62. So age is no barrier to T1. Please go see your endocrinologist as soon as possible.

JohnSchroeder

Completely agree with Deus, and let me underscore not waiting till the end of the month.  In fact, if you were in the same room with me, and I knew you had a blood sugar of 391, I'd suggest you use some of my fast acting insulin ASAP.

Aggie

I agree also.  This sounds like type 1, and action needs to be taken right now.  I suppose if you can't see an endo right now because somehow they don't think that's necessary, you could go to the ER instead.

I have a nephew who was diagnosed type 1 at age 26, which isn't much younger than you are. As I understand it, any age can get type 1.

ant hill

I see that Glypizide is not helping you and if you are loosing weight, Thirsty, Hungry. I would see a Endo immediately!!!! Please don't delay!!!

aggie168

Agree with all the above. Endo for GAD-65 and c-peptide test immediately. If not, the ER is not a crazy idea as your body is in a downward spiral and going down fast.... :)

Uff Da

I, too, had always had normal blood sugar tests through 2010.  Thirteen months after my last test, I was a bit suspicious about being more thirsty than normal so asked my doctor to add a fasting glucose test to blood work that had been already ordered.  The result was 289 and an A1c the next week was 11.5.  Even with those high results it was three weeks before I was able to get in to see her for an appointment to be officially diagnosed. I tried but could not get an earlier appointment.  In the meantime I bought a glucose monitor and started testing regularly with blood sugars running in the high 200s and 300s the entire time, even though I cut my carbohydrates drastically.  I made it the three weeks fine without going into DKA.

BUT - your blood sugars are very high.  If that 391 was a fasting test rather than a random test it is extremely high.  While it is possible that you had a faster than normal onset of type 1.5 (LADA) like I did, type 1 is also a strong possibility.  Usually those of us with LADA still make enough of our own insulin to avoid going into diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) even if we are running sugars in the 200 and 300s, but type 1 can progress much faster and become a true emergency.  When I did see my doctor on a Friday, she told me to go to emergency if I started feeling "really awful" over the weekend.  My sugars ended up in the mid 500s twice over the weekend trying to follow the silly diet my doctor gave me and I still didn't go into DKA, though when I finally went to the emergency, I was dehydrated and did show "some" ketones.  But I was treated and sent home within about three hours, unlike a DKA patient who would be admitted.

I'd suggest you look up symptoms of DKA, and if you have any hint you might be reaching that level, get to emergency.  Also, drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated.  And avoid exercise when your BG is over about 250.  (When my BG was in the mid-500s, I tried bringing it down by exercising going up and down the stairs repeatedly.  When I told the nurse at the hospital that, she said I could have brought on a heart attack!)

fjordscape

Some tips. 

Another name for Type 1.5 diabetes is LADA. Here's a tutorial by a LADA researcher, Dr. Schloot. http://www.diapedia.org/type-1-diabetes-mellitus/lada-latent-autoimmune-diabetes-of-the-adult 

The pancreatic cells that produce insulin are called "islets of Langerhans" or "beta cells". Hence the phrase, "islet cells". 

Dr. Schloot writes that LADA is a variant of Type 1. This is a controversial judgement. Other researchers think it's too different from typical Type 1 to be a variant of Type 1. The controversy isn't likely to impact patient care, as far I as can tell from my reading. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.