Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Sharps

miketurco

Am wondering how others manage sharps. 

I have one of those big red sharps containers and a full Tupperware. Don't know what to do with it. Just toss it in the trash? I deal only with needles for pens and lancets. I drop my bg test sticks in those containers too.

We don't have any kids in the house, but the neighbors have 'em. Lot of animals around here and they get into the trash sometimes. I'm not real worried about this stuff, but might as well do a good job of disposal.

Also, anybody have a good way to handle these things while traveling? I just cover my needles with the original tops and drop them in my bg/insulin kit. Any better ways to go? I'd prefer to not add to the bulk of what I carry with an empty box for trash.

princesslinda

If I didn't have access to a biohazard, i'd just put them in a drink bottle with a lid until it was full then screw on the lid and tape it shut. You could then throw it away knowing there's no risk of exposure.

It would be easy enough to do this while traveling as well.

Uff Da

I keep an old prescription bottle or old tube for glucose tabs in my car to dispose of pen needles when traveling.  Transfer it to my regular sharps container when I get home.

My "regular sharps container" is a heavy plastic large laundry detergent jar.  Our disposal company recommended clearly writing "sharps" on such a container and taping it shut before throwing in the trash.

Moonpie

If you google sharps or biohazard disposal, you will find drop off sites in your neighborhood. Some hospitals have a drop off box in the lobby. Failing that, ask the pharmacist or your Dr.

Seagal

Our hospital, Kaiser has a sharps drop off in the area before entering the lobby.  Moonpie has a good suggestion in the google aspect.

Cora

For things long and pointy, I've always used the BD clipper:

http://www.glucosemeters4u.com/Needle%20cutter.htm

It's just a little thing and I can put it in a pocket and drop it off at my pharmacy. The body of the syringe I just throw in the trash. As for lancets, I only use a handfull a year. I put the cap back on, tape it (ductape forever!) and throw that in the trash too. Easy-peasy

NoraWI

My local hospital will accept sharps containers and disposes of them with their own biohazards. They also provide a new container for me to take home. I am all for reducing the volume in sharps containers. I clip off any long needles and dispose of the remaining plastic in my recyclables. I, too use only a handful of lancets each year. It is not necessary to use a new one for every stick. When I was on MDI, I also reused the pen needles for the life of the insulin capsule inside. I had a refillable pen, not a disposable one. My large sharps container lasts me 2 years.

Haniwitch

When I got my blood testing kit I was given a large plastic container for strips/lancets/whatever by the pharmacist.  When it's full I take it back and exchange it for an empty one.  It's tucked out of the way so I keep an old pill bottle with my kit for temporary disposal and when that's full it goes into the sharps container.  No kids in my house and the cats haven't figured out how to open either container (the dogs are too stupid to even think about it) so everything's safe.  

miketurco

I'm going to go with empty pop bottles. Thanks all for the advice!

Another question, how do you carry needles? I keep my pen needles in my insulin/bg kit. I keep 10 or so in the bottom of the kit and it just seems a disorganized way too go.

Hammer

As for disposing of the pen needle tips, I just drop them into an empty alcohol bottle or an empty PowerAde Zero bottle.  I was told that it was okay to dispose of them by placing them into any plastic container that had a screw on top.  Once the container was full, just screw on the top and throw it into the trash can.  I guess if you wanted to add an extra layer of protection, you could put a little Super-Glue on the threads of the screw cap before screwing it on.  That would make it impossible to unscrew.

As for carrying the new pen needles, well, my method would probably not work for most people.  I save my empty test strip containers, then I place two needle tips in one container....I place the first tip into the container with the tip pointing up, and the second with the tip pointing down, that way I can fit two tips in one container.  I keep two of these containers with tips in a zip lock bag, along with two empty test strip containers.  I use the empty containers to put the used needle tips in.  Once I get home, I dump the used tips into the plastic bottle, then place the empty test strip containers back in the zip lock bag.  Oh, and in that zip lock bag, I also have my Novolog pen, some alcohol wipes, and a few clean tissues.(to wipe off any blood or insulin that might be present at the injection site.)  This zip lock bag, along with my glucose meter kit, is placed into a plastic grocery store bag, and that's what I carry when I go out.  It might not look pretty, but I'm not one for looks....I just want it to work. ;)

LHarless

I'm going to go with empty pop bottles. Thanks all for the advice!

Another question, how do you carry needles? I keep my pen needles in my insulin/bg kit. I keep 10 or so in the bottom of the kit and it just seems a disorganized way too go.

Hey Mike, I purchased a Q-tip traveler size package. (Blue Plastic box) It is flat with a pop up lid and it hold pen needles perfectly. about 10 of them.

Diana_CT

When I started taking insulin deposing of needles was a concern for me because before I retired I was on the company’s safe committee and one of the things that we also talked about was “Sharps.” Every month when I drove up to the main plant I brought up our sharps and bio hazards to be collected at the main plant for deposal.
So when I started to inject insulin and Victoza I asked the pharmacist how to depose of the needles and lances and they said put them in a plastic milk bottle and throw trash… Whoa that can’t be right. So I called the doctor’s office and they said the same thing. Hmm. So I called the department of public health and they also said the same thing and when I questioned them the woman said that as long I was a individual and not a business I could throw them out in the trash.
I now place the lances in the milk bottle and tape the top on and write in magic markers “Sharps” on it.

Kit

I use a big vitamin bottle.  As I only use lancets, and I only change them about once a month, there aren't very many so I haven't had to dispose of them yet.

However, I was also told that as long as the container was sealed (tape it shut) and was clearly marked as Sharps, you can certainly put them in the trash.

Some pharmacies also apparently have something where you can pay for a sharps container, then return it to them once full.  I haven't bothered to check with mine yet to see if they have it.

LHarless

In Oregon where I live sharps are a pain.

No milk or laundry bottles allowed.

Has to be a special container with the hazard logo on it and there are limited options for disposal.

If I were only worrying about lancets I would have no complaint.

I currently have a couple 5 gallon buckets maxed out with lids. (hazard logo attached)

Metro recycling is in a different city about 15 miles from me. 

Business hours are in conflict with the times I work

so I have to send the wife about 2 times a year to go through the hassle.

They provide a small for me container and give a couple extra stickers I can place on the 5 gallon buckets to mark them.

Then there is the disposal fee. $10

I checked into the local garbage hauler and they only have a mail in program.

The rub there is a small container kit costs $45.

Might last me 2 weeks.....So no way. 

Peggy_TX

For things long and pointy, I've always used the BD clipper:

http://www.glucosemeters4u.com/Needle%20cutter.htm

It's just a little thing and I can put it in a pocket and drop it off at my pharmacy. The body of the syringe I just throw in the trash. As for lancets, I only use a handfull a year. I put the cap back on, tape it (ductape forever!) and throw that in the trash too. Easy-peasy

We use syringes for my diabetic dog.   I was THRILLED that someone suggested the BDclipper early on.... 

We clip the syringes, and then put the clipped syringe into an empty kitty little container.    When the kitty litter fills up, we tape it shut and toss it.

In generally, they are no longer hazardous.... and who's going to look to see what's in the used kitty litter container?!?

For my own pen needles, I clip those also and throw the rest of the "cap" in the trash if I'm out (and into the kitty litter container if I'm home)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.