Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Low Carbs Increasing Insulin Resistance?

JanetP

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-eating-low-carb-cause-insulin-resistance/#axzz3itcG8yBf

I have noticed that since I cracked down hard on LCHF in May that even though I have dropped 20 lbs it seems that it takes fewer carbs to spike me higher and longer than it used to.  I haven't started keeping very detailed data to confirm this but will start with the detailed recording today.  I wonder if my carb counting has been incorrect, as I have just been estimating and things may be getting by me.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have only just now started digging around for information about it and this is the first link I have found that addressed the issue.

dowling gram

I haven't found this at all but then my carb intake has been pretty stable for quite a while. I've been away on holidays and I did notice that my readings were a little higher when I was away and I did eat a slightly higher carb diet. I've been home for 2 days now and my BG is back to my normal readings. I did wonder if those point higher readings were because of a change in environment and activity as well as a few extra carbs because I never did pig out on carbs.

I do wonder if maybe you are miscounting carbs and eating more than you think you are. I have found in the past that when I had higher readings over a longer period of time that extra carbs tended to keep my BG up for a longer time before coming down.

samuraiguy

Yes, I notice that even if I eat ketogenic long enough having just a few carbs over the amount makes my BG rise higher, but it's only temporary. Once I get back into my 75 - 100g net carb diet my numbers seem to return to expected numbers. It's one of the reasons at my current level of insulin resistance and weight loss--along with GERDS--why going LCHF is a wash for me. 

miketurco

I see the same thing in my numbers. My thought is that, over time, the body adjusts itself to the foods you eat. If you get most of your energy from fat, then start eating sugar instead, your body resists the change. I think the bottom line is to figure out what works for you and stick with it. Should you decide to go in another direction, be patient and give the bod time to adjust.

Kit

Not me.  I find the exact opposite.  After a while of being really good I can splurge on a little something and not get a spike out of it.  If I make it a regular thing, I get spikes, or even more likely, I see my base line raise.  A raising base line will naturally give me higher PP numbers across the board.

jwags

I think if you are doing very low carb your body gets used to that level. That is why they tell you before an OGTT tomeat a normalmcarb diet for a few weeks to get accurate results. Also if you are eating extremely LC, protein could be a factor in higher bgs.

janice21475

In my experience, portion control is one og the most difficult things to master. Once you have dropped down it is amazing how insidious carbs are. Turn around and they have snuck up to previous levels. I have become a measuring spoon fanatic. I buy all I find at thrift stores and take them off the rings and put the tablespoons in all boxes and containers where I may be tempted to just shake a tad out. That helps a lot. Wish you well on your quest.

ronmesnard

Kit, your BG numbers may be good enough that your beta cells have some reserve.   They are 'rested up' and are not pickled.  Pickling may start as low as 110.   When they are pickled they can't produce as much insulin.  After a few treats the reserve is gone.   

LHarless

Hard for me to know at this point. I am about 5 months in and still adjusting my insulin dose. I am well below half of what I used to take and have not "cheated at all". Not a single meal over 10 carbs. What I have noticed is I no longer worry much about a ratio for my bolus. I am simply taking 10 units of Humalog for beakfast and dinner and have just started taking only 8 units for lunch. Soon I will try 8 units for all meals. My DP is nearly gone now.

If or when I do go low I will post here what happens with the glucose tablets I would need to take. Seems I have stirred up things in my body and I actually think it is correcting itself.......I hope  :)

stevenal

The linked article ignores the fact that most of us can get all the glucose we need from protein converted in the liver. If you have DP, your liver is functioning.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.