Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HueyGirl

Weird burning with Lantus

HueyGirl

I'm new to Lantus. This is my first full week on it. I've been giving it in the sides of my belly, and I take 20 units each night. The first night it burned like heck, only to realize it was still cold from the fridge. Lesson learned. Second night and on it was ok. Not the best feeling, but not horrid. I noticed last night, and now tonight it really burned for a few seconds after giving it, and now 30 minutes later, I'm still feeling the burn. Is this really just the medicine going in and dissipating? There is no itching or tenderness when I poke the area with my finger. No redness to speak of, so I'm thinking it's not a reaction. Anybody have any ideas??

Harold

Sometimes it stings like crazy and other nights it does nothing. Has to do with the difference in pH between the lantus and your body.

mom24grlz

i know a lot of people who complain about Lantus burning. Ashleigh only complains if it's cold, so we keep her Lantus (once opened) at room temperature (as we do with her novolog). I know some people who have switched to Levemier, i guess it doesn't burn as bad as Lantus.

miketurco

The one thing that gets me is when there's a drop on the end of the needle, no matter how small. I make sure to fling every last little bit off the tip of the needle before I inject. 

Otherwise, no problems for me, whether it is cold (just out of the fridge) or not.

LHarless

Make no mistake....Levemir can burn.

Seems to me besides making sure it is room temp...

When I get too close to a nerve this can happen.

If I feel pain upon inserting the needle, I will pull it out and try another spot.

This has been the best help for me.

In the end....Sometimes it's gonna burn.

HueyGirl

Basically, I need to suck it up buttercup. ;) ;) I was hoping for simple fixes. Thanks for putting my mind at ease, and I'm glad to know its not something I'm doing.

Kenton

How long are your needles ?

I found with Lantus 8mm needles seldom sting where I often winced with 4 and 5mm ones.

With Novalog it does not matter, I seldom feel the injection of it but usually stay with the 8mm needles so I do not have to carry 2 types.

HueyGirl

Ooooh, didn't think about needle size. Mine are the mini size, which I believe are 4mm. Tonight I'm going to try my thigh and see if that's any better. Last nights injection gave me a blood blister. *shakes head*. What a mess, I am. Can't wait to figure this out.

macksvicky

I use 6 or 8mm also. There is stinging on occasion, very rare but a bruise now and again, but I have never gotten a blood blister. Something's not right if you have a blood blister :o

GulfCoast

The first time I injected Lantus, it had been in the fridge.  I won't do that again.  Otherwise, no issues. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.