Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

short blurb from Kress's book

Bishop
In a similar vein to some of those articles which have been posted this past week, saw this blurb off a book recommendation in this forum (Metabolism Miracle - Diane Kress) tied to introducing carbs back in:

“…it is not healthy or normal to live on a very low-carb diet for longer than eight weeks at a time. Very low-carb phases are not nutritionally balanced and eating this way for long periods of time will leave your pancreas and liver languid.  Like every organ of the body, these two are designed to function.  If they rest for too long, they may not perform efficiently when called upon in the future.”

Granted, I didn’t read far enough to see how her recommendations change for diabetics, but even in isolation, it made me think a bit about the assertion.

I’m pretty sure any nutritional deficiencies she calls out could definitely and explicitly be addressed, but the generalization around organs “designed to function but resting for too long” reminded me of some of the other papers tied to over worked beta cells regenerating more cells and even more distant (or perhaps incorrect) analogies like the fundamentals of muscle growth.

Anyhow, fun reading in between meetings on a tiny screen sure to make my vision even worse than it is today.  =)

Seagal

Gosh, I've been doing very low carb for twelve plus years and never thought about reintroducing them back into my plan.

I haven't read Kress's book, but if she believes that way, it is probably a good thing :)

Bishop

I still need to look up what she means by "very low" carb since that definition seems to vary quite a bit on The Internet and in our circles.  Same thing with "long term" which I've seen correlate to 26 weeks in some recent papers.  LOL  =)

The only thing I'm fairly certain is that my previous 300+ grams of carbs per meal was probably not what anyone would even consider "low carb" or even "carb friendly" (my favorite term, makes me chuckle).

Stl-T2

The liver, at least, is hardly inactive when we are eating low-carb.  The beta cells may be taking it easy, though.  

I wonder what would constitute "high carb" in prehistoric, pre-agriculture times?  I'm guessing that even cavemen sometimes found a tree full of ripe fruit, but the fruit itself has probably changed massively.  Certainly, if it's as big a difference as between the wild strawberries in my yard and the ones I buy at the grocery store, it has. 

samuraiguy

In a similar vein to some of those articles which have been posted this past week, saw this blurb off a book recommendation in this forum (Metabolism Miracle - Diane Kress) tied to introducing carbs back in:

“…it is not healthy or normal to live on a very low-carb diet for longer than eight weeks at a time. Very low-carb phases are not nutritionally balanced and eating this way for long periods of time will leave your pancreas and liver languid.  Like every organ of the body, these two are designed to function.  If they rest for too long, they may not perform efficiently when called upon in the future.”

Granted, I didn’t read far enough to see how her recommendations change for diabetics, but even in isolation, it made me think a bit about the assertion.

I’m pretty sure any nutritional deficiencies she calls out could definitely and explicitly be addressed, but the generalization around organs “designed to function but resting for too long” reminded me of some of the other papers tied to over worked beta cells regenerating more cells and even more distant (or perhaps incorrect) analogies like the fundamentals of muscle growth.

Anyhow, fun reading in between meetings on a tiny screen sure to make my vision even worse than it is today.  =)

Been on the diet for over a year now and VLC in phase one allows no more than 25g carbs per day--I'm doing it right now for two weeks as a remedy for overindulging on my B-day. She has a Kindle update where you can choose to stay on VLC for as long as you want and she has guidelines basically keeping you from going in and out of ketosis. I exist in phase 2 otherwise which allows me 55 - 100g carbs per day as needed and two carby cheats per week. Phase 3 allows up to 165 g carbs per day based on activity level--the upper end of carbs is for active people and fueling forward to avoid liver dumps from doing long or intense exercise without enough consumed carbs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.