Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sobriquet

How low carb can you go when pregnant?

Sobriquet

So - I am now seven weeks - we are still not in safe territory yet, my ob/gyn is saying we have to wait and see. It is not growing as fast as it should, and there is also a hematoma in my uterus which means i am on bed rest (no carrying stuff, no massive exertion - I'm trying to stay calm and not lose my mind, but it's not easy)

My diabetes advisor said my numbers are magnificent (and yes, they are), but he is concerned that i am not eating enough carbohydrate to provide readily accessible energy for the baby. I have been keeping my numbers stable by eating mainly meat, vegetables, pulses (like chick peas and beans), yogurt, strawberries and raspberries, dark chocolate, cheese... and that's pretty much it. I generally consume about 1500-1700 cal per day, up from the 1300-1500 i was eating before.

Could this explain the slow growth? He said that it requires a lot of energy to get energy from the foods that i am eating, and that the baby is suffering as a result. I tried last night eating a bread roll with dinner, and ended up at 190 at the two hour mark (don't quite understand how - i was cruising on 130-ish all through the meal, then suddenly went through the roof) - we had steak and vegetables - so i'd rather not go too carby if i can help it.

Does this sound like something that makes sense?

The guy is a type 1 diabetic himself, so he is not completely clueless when it comes to the insulin/ carbohydate interaction... but i'm guess he has never been pregnant ;)

Sobriquet

And IF i need to introduce more carb - any hints as to which ones are the best 'investment'?

I'm guessing for example that sweet potato is better than normal potato, and wholegrain bread is better than white (although after last night i am going to stay away from bread altogether).

I'm so out of practice with carbs that i am not really sure how to inject for them!

NoraWI

I probably should not be posting a response to this. Mind you, I am just speculating... but by the time the energy gets to your fetus, it really does NOT matter where it came from... whether from starches or greens or protein, etc. If your fetus is not growing at the rate expected, I would blame the hematoma or genetics rather than a reduced amount and type of carbohydrate in your diet. I would think that BG spikes would be much more detrimental to a developing fetus than a good, steady rate from conservative carb consumption. Your T1 male adviser has never been pregnant. I trust Nature more than I trust the medical community. Google "fetal energy requirements" and "lc eating when pregnant" and see what comes up.

Ela

Well all babies and unborn yet babies grow in different rates and patterns and my son for example was born small (5.5lb) when born but then grew up normally and was a really healthy baby/child  (he is adult now). 

Here is a site I found (following Nora's advice as I was curious) https://lowcarbislekker.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/my-low-carb-twin-pregnancy-journey/ and I'm sure there are many more. 

I'm not giving you any suggestions as when I was pregnant I didn't have diabetes, but if it were me right now, I'd probably try to stick to the low carb anyway.  I think Nora has a point - your baby doesn't really get any carbs, but only feeds through your blood, which you should keep as healthy as possible!  But I'm not a doctor and it's just a thought and your doctor was never pregnant, so he may be missing something (as other doctors do too as we know too well), but who knows. 

And if you want to up your carbs anyway, why not to eat more fruit?  I'd do that as I miss them terribly and also - they're not over-processed product that goes for bread these days. 

Good luck and good health!

moe22

I probably should not be posting a response to this. Mind you, I am just speculating... but by the time the energy gets to your fetus, it really does NOT matter where it came from... whether from starches or greens or protein, etc. If your fetus is not growing at the rate expected, I would blame the hematoma or genetics rather than a reduced amount and type of carbohydrate in your diet. I would think that BG spikes would be much more detrimental to a developing fetus than a good, steady rate from conservative carb consumption. Your T1 male adviser has never been pregnant. I trust Nature more than I trust the medical community. Google "fetal energy requirements" and "lc eating when pregnant" and see what comes up

.You could try supplement you're diet with some Atkins shakes they are low carb but high in protein...BTW I've have never been pregnant  ..... Good luck with you're pregnancy... To add to my post eat the way he wont's you too for about  a month then show him you're bs #...and see what he's says then

miketurco

I have nothing to add. Just want to say I'm rooting for you and sending my best hopes and wishes your way.

Sobriquet

Thanks for the good wishes and feedback so far.

I'm still having trouble with fruit, it's like bread - my insulin just can't catch it fast enough - i can only eat a little bit of fruit (not berries) if i inject and wait until i am really low, then eat it, but it is a very rollercoaster experience - it shoots up, and more often than not i have to correct and or go for a walk (which i am not supposed to do right now) to get the bg back down again.

So far a handful of raspberries or a few blueberries is all i can manage sensibly.

I also found an article referenced by a Dr Briffa finding that Type 1 diabetic woman on a low carb diet when pregnant generally had better outcomes... i'll keep hunting though, one article is not enough, but everything else i have found is targeting gestational or type 2 ladies.

cplca

Sobriquet, I wouldn't be too concerned about carbs, I think you're doing just fine with the 

amount you are using right now. Maybe a slight increase in total calories, 1700 cals isn't 

much during pregnancy. An extra 200 to 300 would bring you closer to what you require.

Also your BG might go up depending on the need of your baby. Even if you lower your

carb intake your body will find ways to increase your BG as needed. It doesn't mean that

this extra sugar will accumulate in you blood cells.

For instance, I ride my bike most mornings for about 2 hours and I have been doing so for the

past 4 months. My BG will rise in the morning no matter if I take in some carbs or not.

That said, it doesn't reflect on my A1c this sugar, glucose, glicogen what ever you want to call it

is produced for a reason and absorbed where needed. I wouldn't try to control this increase with

extra Insulin if this extra sugar was produced because needed.

It is a vicious circle, a bit like the chicken and the egg. IE: BG goes up we increase Insulin, the more Insulin

in our system the more resistance to it therefore higher BG and on and on...

My thought are with you Sobriquet and don't forget that a lot of small babies have become big man and woman

and have done great things through out history !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.