Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uff Da

Here we go again - Apidra instead of Lantus

Uff Da

This is the third time I've done this - taken a dose of a bolus insulin instead of Lantus, my basal.  And less than a week ago I got my Timensulin cap for my bolus, too.  I thought the obvious difference in the type of cap would help to keep me from mistaking one for the other, in addition to the obvious help in remembering whether or not I'd given myself my bolus before a meal.  (Sometimes I get distracted and can't remember if I'd actually done it or had just thought about doing it.)

Thank goodness my partner gives me my Lantus shot, because I'd probably not have recognized that I'd made this mistake if I'd done it myself until I went hypo.  Unfortunately, it was only after he'd given me the injection that he said, "Are you sure this is the right one, as it has this Timensulin cap?" I had, as usual, handed the insulin pen to him after putting the needle on the pen.

I'm sure glad I don't take about 50% of my TDD as basal.  It is closer to 25%, so I only have to eat about the equivalent of one extra meal, roughly 49 carbs.  Guess I'll start with a large mug of cocoa, then see what else is in the refrigerator.

And I had wanted to lose a couple of pounds, too.  This is definitely not the way to do it.

notme

We have all done it Uff Da. I wish we were perfect but then we would have absolutely nothing to talk about there. Right?

Uff Da

I'm one hour in from my extra dose, so still about two hours left for that dose to keep working.  My dinner bolus was just one hour earlier, so there is still another hour of insulin action on that.  I just took my BG and it was 159 after 10 ounces cocoa and 1.5 ounces peanuts after my dinner.  Whew, that's one disadvantage of timing my basal for just after dinner, as when I make a mistake like this I have to eat the equivalent of one meal right after the other.

Insulin action of the two injections should be at its peak about now, but with a BG of 159, I can probably wait another half hour or so before eating a bit more.  Theoretically, I should need another 23 grams carb, but I'll test my BG once more first to see if that still seems about right.  I didn't actually weigh my carby foods at dinner, so I could have been a bit off in my estimates.  Besides I've been working in the yard this evening, and I never quite know how much to allow for that kind of exercise.

dowling gram

Una --mistakes happen especially if you keep both kinds in the same place. I'm not on insulin so take this with a grain of salt. Is it possible to store each kind of insulin in a different place. I do know it has to be refrigerated so maybe one on one side of a shelf and one on the other.

Most things we do as a routine are done without thinking and as a habit and it's easy to grab the wrong thing if everything is stored together

As I say I don't know much about insulin and this is just a suggestion

Uff Da

Well, surprise of surprises.  I didn't need any more food after that mug of cocoa and 1.5 ounces of peanuts.  My BG at two hours after the extra Apidra dose was 125 and at three hours after was 126, so essentially the same.  Often my BG keeps dropping up to three hours after bolus and sometimes longer.  So I guess if I hadn't taken that unintended dose, I would have had to take a correction dose tonight anyway.  My BG is a little higher than I like now for going to bed, but not enough to warrant a correction dose now, as one unit tends to drop my BG by 42 points - plus my 7 units of basal (which I did also take) tends to drop my BG 10-15 points during the night before DP starts raising the BG again around 4 AM.

Dowling gram - Only the insulin not currently in use needs to be kept in the refrigerator.  Since I normally record the time and dose of each injection on a spreadsheet, I keep both insulin pens currently in use in a pencil holder in a bookcase in my computer room so they are handy.  I logically want to give my shot near the computer where I record it.  But your idea of keeping them in different places does sound like it might help to keep me from making this mistake again.  I'd still want them both handy, but maybe I could keep one on the bookcase and the other on or in my desk.  I just might try that.

NoraWI

I never made that mistake when I was on MDI. Why? Because I used a syringe and a vial for the Lantus and a pen for the Novolog. No mistakes possible there.

jims_forum

Uff Da :  you have that correct about distractions and then have to back track and figure what one

dd or did not do with the liquid insulins.  Been there - Done that.

I slip out of orbit easily and then target tight on the new issue on fire!

GrammaBear

I never made that mistake when I was on MDI. Why? Because I used a syringe and a vial for the Lantus and a pen for the Novolog. No mistakes possible there.

What a great solution to a sometimes challenging problem !!!

ant hill

YEAH I too had that confusion also as I sit there and think "You DUMB ASS!!!!" thought in my head. :rolleyes: The other is the forgetfulness that I get as you lie in bed then you think have i or haven't i??? Many times I get out of my cozy bed and have my Basel done. GURR!!!!

Kenton

When I used Lantus and Apidra the fact that the 2 were an identical shape and had the same mechanism caused a few mistakes. Usually when I was distracted or in low light where the blue of the apidra was not noticiable. My cure for it was rubber bands on the lantus pens. If I did not feel a rubber band on the barrel I had the wrong pen. Since I've moved to Novolog that is not longer a problem.  Different shape, the mechanism operates differently and it's an intense orange color which I could do without :)

ant hill

What I do is that I have my Basel in a Novopen Case and the Bolus Pens in a Wrap with 2 Pens and hypodermics, So two very different packages.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.