Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SlayerX11

New to LC and the site

SlayerX11

Hi all. I just joined today.

Anyways I few days ago I got fed up and decided to stop eatting bread etc because it usually is waht makes me feel sick and i stubled upon LC diets. I'm now about a week in and having some issues.

Yesturday my feet felt very very warm like they were on hot cement in summer, ive never felt that feeling before. I also have this headache i cant shake.

Today I felt fine in the am and afternoon but around evening I felt dizzy and my pressure was near 150 so idk whats going on there. The feet burning tonight happened again but not as bad. The headache i cant seem to shake even with tyenol.

Otherwise I feel more alert, the most energy Ive had in years, alert and awake. Im just trying to figure out the cause of my side effects.

My brother is thinking because Ive stopped all the diet soda i used to drink and lattes i use to have (i use to go to dnd for breakfest alot and get a sandwich/bagel with a latte) and gone to just one iced coffee with creme that I might also being going slightly thru caffeine withdrawal which is known to cause blood pressure issues.

adiantum

Hi Slayer, Welcome to the forum,

Glad you have decided to go off bread and have looked into low carb diets.

The burning feet suggests the early stages of neuropathy & lets hope it goes away  once you get your blood glucose down..it should do.

Do you have a blood glucose monitor? If not then please look into getting one as soon as possible . Its this meter that will tell you what foods you tolerate & those you don't.

You say you are type 2 so I assume you have been to a doctor for this diagnosis.

Do log in often as theres many here that will be supportive

JanetP

Welcome, Slayer.  Hang around and read and feel free to ask any questions you want.

If you are new to low carb eating you are most likely going through the "low carb flu"  which is very much like withdrawal as your body switches over to a new way of eating.  If you have drastically cut down on your caffeine intake that will also contribute to it.

Chicken bullion helps a lot with the symptoms and the carb cravings.  You may have to increase your salt intake and make sure you stay well-hydrated.  As blood sugars drop it is very common for blood pressures to drop as well.  Stay in close touch with your doc if you are on BP meds as the doses may have to be adjusted.

Hang in there, don't give up, take it easy for a while and tough it out.  Power through if that is your way to do things.  You will feel better soon.  You didn't get diabetes overnight and it won't be better controlled overnight, either.

SlayerX11

I figured the foot thing was neuropathy but i havent felt it ever till i started going low carb so im trying to figure why all of a sudden do i have it.

JanetP

Your metabolism is changing, thus the symptoms.  The body will use carbs for energy first as they are easiest to assimilate and will complain about having to work a little harder to digest fats.

Ela

Welcome to the forum!

I figured the foot thing was neuropathy but i havent felt it ever till i started going low carb so im trying to figure why all of a sudden do i have it.

It could be that your neuropathy is healing and at first it usually gets worse.  It's just like when you have your leg "asleep" in awkward position and then start moving again- warm sensation and "pins and needles" for a while when full blood flow resumes.

carfree

Welcome. This forum is a great source of info and support. I'm new also, and felt pretty sick for about 5 days when adjusting to a new way of eating so give it some time. It seems like a good idea to closely monitor blood sugars and blood pressure, especially if you are on meds. Caffeine withdrawal can really give you a nasty headache too. I've found that weaning off it is easiest (sipping some weak tea can give you just enough caffeine to take the edge off the headache).

jwags

it sounds like you may be going through catb withdrawal. It is like any other drug or alcohol when you stop it. Your body still craves it and you go through physical symptoms. Just stick with it and make sure you carry LC snacks with you to munch on if you are hungry. Don't starve yourself. I actually eat more on a LC diet than on the SAD diet.

SlayerX11

Thank you all for support. Sunday headache finally went away and  went to the gym which made me feel even better. I also took off from one my jobs this week so its been a pretty good week. Learning what to get and not to get has been hard but not bad. I ended up getting a burger at the baseball game and eatting it bun less which my wife is still finding weird (i did this with a five guys burger wrapped in lettuces too and she thought i was nuts but knows why im doing it.) 

Tuesday was hard cause we had a breakfest party for the retirements going on (ppl are leaving cause we are having a retirement insensitive) Bagels everywhere and fruit! I mentioned to just have tuna and egg salad and 2 small watermelon cubes. I was surprised I resisted.

Now regarding the gym and all, any issues I need to worry about? 

kooka

I have neuropathy in my feet, legs and hands and sometimes my feet burn like fire. LC diet will not cause this as I have been eating LC since 2000. Way before I got diabetes. You have a good chance of turning yours around using the LC diet since it seems it may just be in the early stages. As for the guy exercise is one of the best things we can do for our diabetes other than diet and meds if we are on them. When I detoxed from sugar I had headaches, got tired, grumbled and overall was not myself the first few weeks but just hang in there and once all that sugar is out of your system and your blood sugars are in control you will feel wonderful.

Welcome to the forum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.