Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

alchohol

Bishop

keep forgetting about one food group i haven't quite characterized/profiled just yet - alcohol!  haven't had many chances to hit the bars since DX a few months ago, but do have a glass of wine or beers with meals from time to time, but measure those eating sessions as a whole and haven't noticed anything massive in terms of spikes.

that said, any gotchas or wisdom here that i should be aware of beyond the usual reading of the labels equivalent for carb counts in various drinks?  i hear/read here and there that the alcohol keeps the liver busy or somesuch so BG readings may be lower than i'd expect, but i'd guess if there are n grams of carbs in a given drink i'd treat it as if there are n grams of carbs, regardless of how much alcohol is in there.

i figure i'd stick with my bourbon, neat vs. going with my usual Old Fashioned.  =)

ant hill

Well I think that there are Hidden Carbs in drinks when you sober up say 5 hours later.

Sobriquet

I have to say, as a lover of wine and whisky who lives in Germany, beer centre of the world- this is an area I have researched well :)

Yes, alcohol will drop your bg, as the liver is busy dealing with it. It's not immediate though.

However some drinks, like beer, have a lot of carbs (the Germans call it liquid bread for a reason) so I wouldn't start a night with it- I have had to go off it completely as a small beer could push me up over 200 easy. (That being said, a small beer after other alcohol is ok, but I don't do it because it's considered poor form here).

A couple of glasses of wine with pasta or pizza really help me to control the delayed spike that happens with those foods- since I've become pregnant I've had to totally readjust how I inject - even for the low carb cauliflower pizza I make at home. Same story for vegetable bakes or anything with a lot of cheese.

Spirits like whisky, tequila etc- one is fine- but with more, just be careful- I tried a few whiskey and sodas with a low carb dinner one night early in my diagnosis and spent much of the next day with the worst hangover I have ever had, drinking oj as my bg kept diving. (I'm not proud of that one)

Mixed drinks and cocktails are really tricky as they usually have juice or syrup in them- aperol spritz is ok, but if we're doing fancy cocktails I usually stick to a good whisky - it's way cooler anyway than some fancy pantsy fruity thing. :)

Having said all that I would just like to confirm that I am not a huge drinker- just someone with an active social life who loves to try new food and drinks, and a bit of a nerd when it comes to bg experimentation. Being pregnant put a fairly swift and sudden stop to all that!!

JohnSchroeder

I don't generally notice too much of an impact from beer, but mixed drinks like margaritas or mojitos put my blood sugar through the roof.

Bishop

"fancy pantsy fruity thing" - LOL.  my thoughts exactly, and i even get some flack from buddies when downing my Old Fashioneds, which I consider a proper drink.  in any case, sticking to whiskey is NOT going to be a problem.  =)

Seagal

vodka & diet tonic....bourbon on the rocks....red wine.....none of these have ever had a bearing on b.g.

although they all have an effect on weight (I have found).

Ela

Yeah, stick with bourbon and you’ll be safe.  And I agree with “fancy- pancy” … I’m more into hard stuff anyway.   Also wasn’t ever a big fan of beer, but it goes well with some food, light beers are usually better BG wise (Miller Light is not very carby for example), but not great, for me anyway…

But speaking about cocktails: I used to love Screwdriver (vodka/orange juice) and Vodka/Cranberry.  Screwdriver is obviously screwed and no more V/C in the restaurants/bars, but I make something at home using Diet Cranberry Juice cocktail from Ocean Spray.  It has very little carbs, but tastes pretty sh!tty but you can improve it with a bit of real cranberry juice (no sugar added) from Trader Joe’s.   Comes out not too bad. 

Dry Martini or Dry Vodka Martini is safe.  Some Japanese restaurants Dry Saketini – not bad either if you like Martini. 
Also I make my own Margarita sometimes:  Tequila, lime juice (better squeezed from real lime), Xylitol and a few drops of Orange liqueur. 

Mojito is another option (Rum, lime juice, mint, sweetener); in restaurants I ask for not adding sugar but you can add some Splenda or whatever they have in there, I don’t though – it’s pretty refreshing drink and good with or without sweetener.  At home I add a bit of Xylitol sometimes.

Bloody Mary is OK too… in moderate quantities. 

In any case – drink responsibly and enjoy!

Hammer

Yes, whiskey shouldn't affect your BG levels that much.  I enjoy mixing Seagram's 7 with Sprite Zero (Diet Sprite), and it doesn't affect my BG levels.  Of course, seeing my last lab results, my liver doesn't like it, so I guess I'll have to quit drinking it.  One drink that I haven't had in a long time, is Captain Morgan Spiced Rum mixed with diet root beer.  I used to mix Captain Morgan with diet Frostie Root Beer, or with A&W Diet Root Beer.  It tastes like creme soda, but back when I drank that, I wasn't diabetic, so I don't know how the Captain Morgan would affect a person's BG levels since it's a rum.

Because of my liver enzyme tests, my doctor told me to limit my alcohol to just one drink per night.  So, the drink I'm drinking right now is for the night of December 20th, 2018! :D

Kit

If my experiments with Captain Morgan's and Coconut Pineapple ICE is any indication, it usually lowers it somewhat.

Good combination.  Thankfully I'm not much of a drinker.  Otherwise I'd be tempted to have some every night.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.