Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl4972

Struggling Type 2 Diabetic and upcoming Colonoscopy diet

pl4972

I am struggling to get/keep my blood glucose numbers down and I have an upcoming Colonoscopy.  The diet for the five days prior seems to me to be all white high carb food.  I can't eat anything I usually eat and I'm struggling finding things I like that I'll be able to eat.  I was wondering if anyone else had to do this diet recently and if you have suggestions.  I mostly eat raw vegetables, fruit, nuts, protein, and complex carbs.

What did you eat those first five days before the colonoscopy?

Thanks

Lynn

JanetP

A 5 day colonoscopy diet?  All I had to do was clear liquids, nothing red or purple for, 48 hours prior, and they had to be sugar free, and for 24 hours prior I had to drink blue gatorade mixed with miralax.  My blood sugars were fine.

Your doc must be old-fashioned.

pl4972

Yes for five days before the colonoscopy I have to do low fiber then the day before is the clear liquid.  It is horrible for me I have a hard enough time finding foods I like that I can eat and now they are taking away the majority of my diet. 

Seagal

I've had several colonoscopies and never had a special diet except for the day or so before which was clear liquids and s.f. jello. Then the gallon or so of colon cleanser.  The idea is to clear the colon, but your doctor is going to extremes.

Can't you tell him your concerns?

dowling gram

Yes for five days before the colonoscopy I have to do low fiber then the day before is the clear liquid.  It is horrible for me I have a hard enough time finding foods I like that I can eat and now they are taking away the majority of my diet. 

I'd forget what your doctor said and go with what Janet said she did. It takes around 53 hours for food to go through the digestive tract from food to elimination. The more hard to digest things like fiber take the most time and that's why they gave you a low fiber diet. The main thing is to clear your bowel so they can do the colonoscopy. It seems to me your doctor is giving you his standard colonoscopy diet and not taking your diabetes into account.

My opinion anyway.

mzteacher

When I have had one I have done a 5 day one as I could not drink the gallon of liquid. If I remember correctly I drank some Ensure during that time. Also I think I had some cup of soup. He started me on  tiny laxative pills about 5 days before. For me it was much less stressful than trying to gag down the gallon of stuff. Good luck with it!

Aggie

Honestly I had a normal diet until that last day.  And it was fine.  During that last day I had a lot of broth, sugar free jello, and tea.  Very few calories but keeping my stomach full of liquid seemed to fool it into thinking it was full for the most part.

The prep was called suprep and did not involve drinking huge amounts of liquid.  There were two rounds of drinking some liquid, once in the early afternoon and once in early evening (that one was supposed to be the next morning but we moved it because there was no way I was going to drink that stuff in the morning).  I also had the appointment first thing in the morning.

Since the technique I used worked well, I think your doctor is going WAY overboard.

kooka

I am tested every 5 years because I am high risk. For 5 days prior I don't eat red meat and try to keep it light on the fish and poultry. I drink plenty of rich beef and chicken stock though and eat eggs for breakfast but not bacon. I don't have to do this but I find the prep day easier if I have eaten easily digested food for some days prior. On prep day I drink SF Gatorade, SF tea, SF flavored water and water, jello but nothing red or purple. My doctor also allows lite unsalted chicken broth and veggy broth during prep day  but yours may not.The calmer you stay and the less stressed out you get the easier it will go. Your sugar may go up some that day but it will go back down after the procedure. Then you get the happy shot and when you wake up all will be well except you'll be hungry so have a LC snack on hand like cheese and meat sticks to ward off starvation before you get home.

I had to drink 2 small bottles of prep with 4 glasses of water and took 2 laxative pills 4 hours apart before I started the liquid prep.

Moonpie

when I had it done, I only had to fast from noon the day before the procedure, so I ate a normal breakfast & lunch & after 12 noon it was chicken broth, tea jello etc. I had to drink some nasty stuff, but I think that is off the market now. I did have to avoid red meats. for about a week, when I did the fecal test ( mail in or drop off)

notme

Just did a colonoscopy with the two day clear liquid diet. five days ahead of time I ate chicken with no red meat In my diet. I am a big salad eater and the doc said to kill that habit five days ahead of time. I ate soup, chicken, low carb tortillas, s/f jello, protein shakes, veggies (cooked) and broth, bananas. Two days before the procedure I was on a clear liquid diet. So, it was broth, s/f jello (not red), s/f ginger ale, green tea, Zero sports drinks (blue), black coffee. Honestly, it was all pretty simple. If my blood sugar went low I drank grape juice or ate hard candy.

The hardest part of the whole thing was the cold I caught at the clinic. Blah!

Hammer

I don't understand a 5 day diet.  The idea is to clean out your bowels, so all you need to do is to drink the stuff that makes you go, in my case, I had to mix an 8 ounce bottle of powdered Miralax with 64 ounces of either PowerAde Zero or sugar free Gatorade (I chose the PowerAde Zero), but it can't be anything that is red, so I chose the orange flavor.  I had to drink an 8 ounce glass of this stuff every 15 minutes, 24 hours before the procedure.  Before I got to the last glass, I was running to the bathroom.  By the time I was ready for the procedure, I was empty of every bit of food in my digestive system.

I don't see the point of a 5 day plan here....you just need to be completely empty of food, and doing it like I did empties you of that food.  Oh, and since it was only a 24 hour thing, there was no need to drink any broth or whatever....I mean, it's only 24 hours.

Peggy_TX

My mom was on one of the longer # of days diets

As I recall, the emphasis was mostly on not eating thing with seeds and avoiding raw veggies

On the clear liquids day I made sure she had a 6-pack of those tiny full-sugar gingerales, and we watched her sugar more closely than usual.

I had been thinking it didn't sound too restrictive and was planning to do something similar when it was my turn.... and then I got the stomach flu a few days before my colonoscopy.

Kept me from eating anything more than clear liquids for 3 days.  Then I had one day of "bits of food" where I ate a couple saltines and a few bites of chicken -- and then the final clear liquid day.

Under the circumstances, doc actually modified my colonscopy prep to be just a fraction of the norm -- I think I took a couple pills and then a small dose of some liquid.   there was nothing there to flush out, so it was super-easy!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.