Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TX_Clint

Sugar Alcohol

TX_Clint

A warning for those that have a sweet tooth. All sugar alcohols are not equal (pun warning). A lot of manufacturers of goodies use maltitol for a sweetner and this is about the same as cane sugar. See this article http://ezinearticles.com/?Erythritol-Vs-Maltitol&id=1277691

I have found that Atkins, for example, use maltitol and my bg notices. I do eat quest bars for a snack and have no bg issues because they use erythritol as a sweetner. The quest bars are also loaded with fiber (they have to contain something). :)

macksvicky

I learned the hard way long ago about maltitol. Unless you really like being in your bathroom for long periods of time and don't mind sprinting several times a day, stay away from that stuff!! Not to mention it was not kind to my BG either. 

Good post Clint :) The article was very good.

predb4

many years ago, before i could predict i would one day have diabetes, i had gone to the mall for some banking and bill paying.

i used to eat tons of jelly beans, but i was on a diet, so i bought some sugar free jelly beans and ate the whole package.

then i hopped on the bus to return to work. and my intestines started piping music.  it was the Funeral March, and it was painful.  I ran from the bus stop to reach work and avoided a major disaster by a fraction of a second.

JanetP

Atkins bars and I do not get along well.  Where do you find Quest Bars?  I am not familiar with them.  Will prowl around online, but it would be nice to be able to find them locally.

TX_Clint

I guess we're truly all different Angie. Too bad they don't agree with you cause they are great if you nuke them for about 10 secs. The quest bars hardly give me a bump while the Atkins bars do me in. I get a few flavors of Quest bars at Joe's but Smoothie King carries the whole lot and they are only a few blocks from my house. I know they can also be ordered online.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.