Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zorch

Nutritional analysis software recommendations/suggestions

Zorch

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been using any nutritional analysis software or web-based tools.  I'm mainly interested in analyzing the nutritional content of my family/home made recipes.  If so, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks in advance - Zorch

djbAZ

I'm a big fan of "Lose It!".   I run it on my iPhone, but there's also a web interface that's quite useful when the phone isn't convenient.  There's an Android version as well, which I'm not familiar with but appears to also be well reviewed.  Has the usual stuff, barcode scanner, etc.   Been using it for about 7 years (previously on iPod Touch or iPad), but until I got in the habit of carrying a phone (very late adopter) with me I was inconsistent about keeping track of every meal.   Got the phone in April and my weight, BG, and A1c have steadily declined ever since.   I find it very useful for recipes - enter each ingredient and tell it how many servings and I get a nutritional breakdown.   If I change the recipe slightly next time, everything I did before is remembered and amounts can easily be modified or ingredients added or dropped - this updates the new nutritional info but does not change the old one (so my meal from last week won't suddenly change calories, etc.)

Few things to watch out for - occasionally I'll find mistakes in the data for something I scan, either the nutritional info for the product might have been different in the past or whoever typed it in made an error.  They have a system for reporting this stuff and I have seen items corrected.  I've only ever used the free version - they have adopted a subscription model for some features, including some that were previously free.   The free version really does everything I need (including nice stuff like syncing with Apple Health and my Fitbit).   I'll probably eventually sign up for the premium anyway, just to support them, even though I'm really not a fan of software subscriptions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.