Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoniaChanna

Victoza Stopped Working!!! Now what do I do???

SoniaChanna

Hi all,

I'm very frustrated with my diabetes, and don't know where to turn....

I'm on metformin and insulin but my a1c is always around 8.

They have added on januvia, helped a little for a while and stopped working after a few months.

I was then taken off januvia and put on victoza with amazing results but again it stopped working after about a few months. It was so good while it lasted, that I cut my insulin to almost 1/4 of the dose I was taking.

It's really discouraging. How do you guys control your diabetes? I'm on max metformin and about 100-150U of insulin every day but A1c is still no good. I've never tried the insulin pump, is that nay better at controlling insane sugar levels? I'm injecting 2-3 times a day, but I get sugars in the 250s after meals. Please help! 

Should I give up on Victoza altogether? restart Januvia? SO CONFUSED!!!

Desperate and scared,

Sonia 

Fraser

Most of us here eat low to very low carb diet on this site. We find it is the foundation to controlling BS along with exercise.

You did not mention diet and exercise. Are they part of your overall plan?

SoniaChanna

Hi Fraser. I do regular exercise, 3x a week, however diet has always been a struggle. The concern is that my diet or exercise has not changed though my response to the meds has, so I feel like its something else. I've seen my mother and sister die from diabetic complications and I just don't have the strength to face all this alone,

miketurco

For me, the number one thing is what I eat and when I eat it. Number two is correctly dosing insulin. Between those two things, most people are able to attain and keep decent control. Maybe not perfect, but at least decent. So in addition to asking about the way you eat, how do you calculate your insulin dose? When do you take what kind of insulin, etc? In other words, what are the details of how you manage your diabetes?

There's also the question of, what is it about your body that is the cause of your high bg? Specifically, which of the diabetes tests have you been through and what we're the results?

Last thing: there's a myth that being overweight causes diabetes. I totally reject that theory. However, there is a strong correlation between excess weight and a lack of control over blood sugar. In other words, if you're carrying a lot of extra weight, like me, losing some weight can help a lot.

Fraser

Sonia

Sorry for your losses, dealing with diabetes is much more difficult without a support system,

As Mike posted it seems it be down to what and when you eat and how you dose insulin.

I don't use insulin so for that I am not much help, but mike and others can can be a great resource.

Support I can do l

Fraser

dowling gram

Hi Sonnia

No meds can control your diabetes. They can help but without changes in your diet you will continue to see saw with high blood glucose. However if you cut way down on carbohydrates you may be able to ditch some of the meds you are on. You know what the complications are and the only way to avoid them is to keep your blood glucose stable and you can't do that without changes in your diet.

I had a FIL and a cousin die from diabetic complications. I kept their pictures on my fridge to remind me of what my fate would be if I didn't control what I put in my mouth. It was a great way to stiffen my resolve. You know what 6 months into my low carb diet I could go days without even thinking about all those carby foods I loved. I found other things i liked or low carb ways to make them. I felt and still feel better and have more energy than I did eating all that carby food. There is a good recipe section here and many low carb sites on line. My way might not work for you so find your own way to motivate yourself. It is essential to change your diet if you want to remain healthy.

I hope you stick around. You can ask questions or just vent and there will always be a friendly ear here to answer or give an opinion. You are not alone. Here you'll find a whole website of people who walk the same road you do.

Bishop

Sorry for not being sorry about taking this out of context, but my favorite quote so far being on this site, and words to live by, at least what I've researched so far, experienced in my short life, and have been applying to my own situation:   "No meds can control your diabetes."

Awesome.  Well said.

kooka

Welcome Sonia. I am alone almost all the time also. Hang around here and you won't feel alone much longer. Sometimes I feel like I live on here. Low carb is helping me and many get control and keep it. You might like it if you try it.

moe22

Bishop is right meds  alone will not control you're diabetes you must also watch you're daily intake of carbs, as well as  incorporate some kind of exercise in you're plan; Look at it like this the meds are doing their part but you're not doing you're part ; the meds work in conjugation  with you're daily consumption of carbs & exercise .....This is a bit of topic , but I have overactive bladder( my bladder contracts when it's not full), I take 6 pills daily (2 in the morning & 4 at night);. I have also given up carbonated beverages  nothing with caffeine (which includes def coffee); I drink Herbal tea instead & stay away from irritations      like oranges ,tomatoes or any food containing tomato products  plus I drrink A 16 oz bottle off water plus 2 8oz glasses  all before noon, that plus my tea is sufficient for my fluids . then may be for lunch I might dink 1/2 a glass of kool-aide & 1/2 glass with supper  as well as losing a little weight along

jwags

Before Diabetes I exercised 2-3 hours a day and still got Diabetes. while exercise is good, it will not control bg levels on its own. It was not until I figured out that carbs caused my bg to rise. So for the past 8 years I have been eating between 20-50 carbs a day. You need to address your diet if you want to see lower bgs.

Kit

It's really discouraging. How do you guys control your diabetes? I'm on max metformin and about 100-150U of insulin every day but A1c is still no good. I've never tried the insulin pump, is that nay better at controlling insane sugar levels? I'm injecting 2-3 times a day, but I get sugars in the 250s after meals. Please help! 

My control is around 70% diet (~40g carbs a day) and 30% Metformin.  You didn't mention what you are eating.  If you'd post some examples we might be able to give some suggestions on what you could improve from there.

Re diet being a struggle.  I look at it this way.  I don't focus on what I can't or shouldn't have.  Instead I focus on all the really great foods I can eat and enjoy.  Given I was on a low fat diet from 15 years before being diagnosed, I'm currently having a blast.  :)

And you don't have to face this alone.  You're here now and we're all in the same boat.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.