Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predb4

vegan atkins

predb4

A local private hospital has weekly healthy tips during the news broadcasts.

The announcer is a journalist by profession who trained as a dietician following bariatric surgery.  She has kept the weight off for nearly ten years.

Anyway, this week the subject was the atkins diet, so I tuned in.

She said the Atkins diet promoted weight loss and bettered blood pressure and cholesterol.  But had cardiologist "in a tizzy" (quote is exact words) because of the protein.

So Scientists conducted a study.  Some people were give a low fat diet and others the atkins diet where people got their protein from plants.

The first group lost weight but there was not difference in bp and cholesterol.  The atkins group lost weight , had better blood pressure and cholesterol.

This, according to her, proves that atkins is a good diet, provided the protein comes from plant sources.

Well, Let me try that.  I need 4 cups of black beans to eat 60g of protein, but that also gives 160g of carbohydrates.  It will be me and the cows causing all this climate change.

kooka

Lol. I tried it. Beans raised my sugar. Could't eat tofu because I'm on thyroid meds. No soy either and almost all vegan products have soy or beans. Same old same old. Drug companies do not want to lose us as customers and there are lots of us.

jwags

I can handle about 1/2 cup of beans and that is it. It is tough doing a vegan diet and sticking to Low Carb. It has to be mostly green veggies and tofu.

miketurco

Well, couple things. To get the proper amount of actual, usable protein you need to combine plants. For example, rice and beans. Rice has only 4g of protein per cup. So if you do the math on that, wow. Ten cups of rice. That's 2000 calories in and of itself, before you hit that giant bowl of black beans.

The only real way to get the protein you need, on a vegan diet, is to buy it powdered in a box. That's fair, though, that is a realistic solution.

The problem is with the carbs. There is no practical way to limit your carbs to atkins levels, so I have no idea where this supposed study could be coming from. The only way to eat low carb on a vegan diet would be to get almost all of your non-protein calories by drinking vegetable based oils.

Am I missing something?

TX_Clint

I have a set of rules for eating.

1. If you can't count the carbs on your fingers it's too much.

2. Don't be a Jack Sprat, eat fat.

3. Get your protein from meat.

4. The fatter the meat the better.

and last

5. If you want to lose weight then eat less or if you are in to it count the calories.

kooka

I remember rice. It was white and fluffy and either had a glob of butter on top or stir fry and shrimp. Now I just eat the stir fry and budda. :D

predb4

The only real way to get the protein you need, on a vegan diet, is to buy it powdered in a box. That's fair, though, that is a realistic solution.

The problem is with the carbs. There is no practical way to limit your carbs to atkins levels, so I have no idea where this supposed study could be coming from. The only way to eat low carb on a vegan diet would be to get almost all of your non-protein calories by drinking vegetable based oils.

You might be right Mike.  One of my coworkers was on some kind of meal replacement diet and had these packages of powder that she mixed with water.  She said it was to treat a variety of nutritional deficiencies but it was not diabetes.  

I have a problem with that because you have to buy these boxes of packages from the doctor's office-- she claims it is cheaper that the price online.

If i need food, i want to go the foodstore which is open 24/7 and not depend on the doctor who might not have the stuff in stock.  

Tofu tastes really bad, now imagine those protein powders.

i have tried vegan food on a few occasions.  My stepdaughter is vegan, and, when I visited her, the food was not appetising.  Her husband grilled some steaks to accommodate us (he is not vegan).  Then there were a lot of sweets in the form of chocolates, she ate a lot of that.

Another time was when i went to a yoga retreat and they had a spread.  rhings lacked salt, tasted like grASS and the whole wheat flat bread was really bad tasting.

I suspect the study this woman referred to must have been some kind of internet hoax, because a true study would have a group of meat eaters atkins.  Or maybe the study was put out by vegans, who are sometimes worse than religious freak cult leaders.

jwags

My daughter makes tofu taste really good. The trick is to marinate it first and then fry it. I don't normally eat a ton of meat so I do use some greek yogurt, cheese and whey or pea protein powder to up my protein.

Kit

I personally like tofu, especially in soups and curries.

A 3oz serving of tofu has about 17g of protein and 2-4g of carbs (depending on type of tofu).  While it is possible to do an Atkins type diet using tofu as your protein source, there's not much extra wiggle room for additional veggies.

I don't really eat it much anymore as I personally prefer to save my limited carb budget for other vegetables instead of my protein source.

As for protein powders, you would have to go for a vegan source (no whey) which again would have its own carb load as well.

I'm actually really curious to see a sample of a vegan Atkins diet.  Hey, it could be possibly be a useful resource.  :)

miketurco

I wouldn't hesitate to go on a vegan diet for at least a trial period, if there were a way to do so within the constraints of my diet. I try to get 100 or so g of whole protein each day, and keep carbs under 25. I'm no expert on the matter, but I'm not sure that such a diet is possible.

I had dinner with the vegan last night (which went really well). I was looking for what to eat on the menu and she asked, "what are you looking for?" Told her I don't eat grains or processed sugars and left it at that. That basically eliminated every vegan item on the menu. Bummer, though, would have been nice to find something vegan to eat, just for the heck of it.

Kit

I have to make a correction to my previous post.  3oz tofu is 13g protein, not 17g.

Its 17g carbs for about 70g of protein (taking the average of 3g carbs per 3oz of tofu).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.