Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Should we do this?

JanetP

http://www.icruise.com/cruises/group-cruises.html

So, what do ya'll think?  Should we do this?  I have never been on a cruise before.  And I wonder if they would meet our peculiar dietary requirements.

Where should we go?  And for how long?  and when?  and of course we would bring spouses and families if they wanted to come.

I think we would have a blast.

princesslinda

I'd cruise anywhere with anyone, lol.  As for our dietary specifications, there's tons of eggs, meat and cheeses and veggies and salads available.  There are even sugar-free dessert options (never had any of them, as when I cruise, I get tons of exercise and allow myself to splurge on nice desserts).  You owe it to yourself to cruise at least once.

Cora

I adore cruising! It's the best way to travel. There is plenty of pretty much every type of food available to you....in quantity! If you are simply on low carb, this should be no problem, although desserts and yummies are going to be tempting. But then there's always deck after deck of stairs to take, so that will help. But don't sweat it too much. Be careful, but not obsessive. Gaining a couple of pounds or having higher bg for a few days is not going to kill you and with a bit of effort, once you are home, you can get back on track. Enjoy your sail!

Moonpie

Cruises are great fun & they will try & accommodate any food needs/wants. As for deserts I normally get a cheese plate. And walk arond the ship at least 3 or 4 times daily, ( when not in port) Alaska is spectacular.

macksvicky

Group cruise!!!! I am already packed!!! I hear cruise and it's like a cat hearing a can opener, I am so there :) When I get too old that's where I'm ending up...much better than an retirement home!!

Kit

Wonder if there's a way to not have all the people, and make the crew leave you alone as long as they aren't needed.

I'm too antisocial for cruises.  :)

JanetP

Maybe I wasn't being specific enough.  I thought it was obvious from the link.  I am thinking of a bunch of us from DF going on a cruise together and this is a link to a group that will help organize one.

adiantum

Ive had fun imagining  a ship full of df'ers & the food  stores that would require.

Enough  bacon, eggs, cheese  & almond meal to sink a boat

ooops..perhaps that wasn't the best analogy

adiantum

I think it'd be a great idea & you could stop off in Sydney  for a visit.

I'd join you but I too am anti social.  I'd  be out on the deck  watching the ocean, birds & fish.......while texting you all

Kit

Nah, deck would be too public.  I'm be holed up in my little room texting you all.  ;)

In all honesty, a DF get together could be a lot of fun.  Logistically it would be difficult for me depending on where it was held.  Between travel time and expenses, time off, etc.  Would be difficult to swing sadly.

Hammer

Like Lee and Kit, I am not a sociable person, so a cruise is not something that I'd ever do.  Anyplace where there are people having fun, I stay away from.  If I see people having fun, I'll get up and leave.  Then there is the cost....for what a cruise costs, I'd prefer to spend the money on some ham radio equipment.  When the cruise is over, there goes your money, but the radio equipment lasts for many years.

Cora

Maybe I wasn't being specific enough.  I thought it was obvious from the link.  I am thinking of a bunch of us from DF going on a cruise together and this is a link to a group that will help organize one.

I'll be honest with you, I'm tapped out right now on my travel budget.....but next year......I'd go in a flash! My ultimate goal as far as meeting online friends is to make it to join the Quarter Century Club (a group of transplant recipients you can only join once you've had your organ for 25 years). They do a lot of cruises. But in the meantime, meeting some folks from this group would be terrific!

JanetP

I was thinking of next year, too.  It's too late for this year for a lot of people's budgets but if we started planning now maybe we could do it.  A Carribean cruise in the middle of winter might be fun to get away from the cold and the gloom or a trip to Alaska in the summer to cool off.  Both are heavily traveled times and we may want to pick a less traveled and thus less expensive time slot.

But, it we decide to do it,  whenever we go and where ever we go, even if it is just a trip across the Great Lakes on a ferry boat, a bunch of DF'er's together would be hilarious and I am sure everyone would have a grand time.

macksvicky

I think it's a wonderful idea. I love the Caribbean, can hear the metal drums now :) Those ships are so big, you'd be surprised at how many people they hold and still not feel like it's crowded.

Java

hmmm.................maybe

i am terrified of any water that is deeper than i am tall, but if the boat was big enough and there was enough alcohol.....i might could provide the entertainment factor

:P

TX_Clint

I would love to do it. However, my wife is like Lee, Kit and Hammer. She does have good reason as she has mobility issues. She can do ok in the house with a walker but any distance or just to stand is too much for her. I also disagree with Hammer about the value of the investment in time and money. Very few things have as much value to me as enjoying friends and the memories that come after. 

Hammer

I also disagree with Hammer about the value of the investment in time and money. Very few things have as much value to me as enjoying friends and the memories that come after. 

Most people would agree with you about enjoying the friends and memories...that's the way it should be.  With me, I wouldn't enjoy it, I'd just sit in my room thinking about the radio equipment I could have bought instead. It isn't that I prefer buying radio equipment, it's the fact that I avoid places where people are enjoying themselves, so getting on a cruise ship where that's happening, I'd think to myself that I wasted my money on something that I know I wouldn't like, so I'd have been better off buying the radio equipment.  It's a mental thing with me....not being able to have fun, so I avoid situations where people are having fun.  It's not normal, I know, but I am unable to change it.

JanetP

I was just reading a little more on the site.  They have a deal where the group leader can get freebies and discounts depending upon the number of people who sign up and it is supposed to be a secret. (hah!)

What I would like to do, if I end up organizing this little adventure, is use my discounts divided equally among everyone who signs up or use it for Tony and his family to come along at either a very deeply discounted price, or free if possible.

What say you, peeps?

Haniwitch

A Carribean cruise in the middle of winter might be fun to get away from the cold and the gloom ...

Well, that lets me out.  I am not a hot weather person.  The only reason I tolerate summer is because fall (my favourite season) and winter (No. 2 on my favourites) come right after.  My brother has a house in Honduras that will be his permanent residence when he retires and once he's down there for good I'll never see him again unless he comes up here.  You'd think one of us was adopted because he hates cold and I hate heat.

Also, I'm not much of a people person.  To me a crowd is me and at least one other person in a room.  Funny thing though, I have no problem as long as I don't have to interact with them.  I can handle a crowded Walmart or Safeway any day but talking one-on-one Yikes!  I can easily go for days without any personal contact.

Kit

I'm better with crowds if they are people I know, am interested in, etc.  As long as I have somewhere to retreat to periodically.  :)

I absolutely despise being in large busy stores full of random people.

I'm also not a hot weather person.  I'd be much more tempted by a lodge in the mountains somewhere out in the middle on nowhere.  With no internet or cell reception and a land line for emergencies.  :D

macksvicky

I did some peeping....Royal Caribbean has a good deal on the eastern Caribbean route Dec 10th of 2016 (8 nights) for $599.00 per person (2 people per room) which is a fantastic price. Also, in December it's not all that hot there and the shipboard pools and spas......

Angie, once you get on one of these ships you barely know you're even on a boat. They are floating cities:) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.