Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Should we do this?

princesslinda

Janet, if this is something you're planning to organize, can I suggest you go under the "Meet and Greet" forum and start a thread there in addition to this one.  This would be a good way to get a true head count and determine true interest, and would be a good way to keep all the pertinent threads together for easy access once definite plans are being made. 

I remember a Meet & Greet in Las Vegas when I first joined the forums. It was interesting reading about the plans even though I didn't get to go.  After it was over, those who went posted pictures from their trip and we all enjoyed putting names with faces.

Ellsworth

Most people would agree with you about enjoying the friends and memories...that's the way it should be.  With me, I wouldn't enjoy it, I'd just sit in my room thinking about the radio equipment I could have bought instead. It isn't that I prefer buying radio equipment, it's the fact that I avoid places where people are enjoying themselves, so getting on a cruise ship where that's happening, I'd think to myself that I wasted my money on something that I know I wouldn't like, so I'd have been better off buying the radio equipment.  It's a mental thing with me....not being able to have fun, so I avoid situations where people are having fun.  It's not normal, I know, but I am unable to change it.

There is nothing wrong with you, Hammer. You are just a hermit. Some people do not enjoy social discourse, and while all the rest of society will brand that person as weird or wrong, it is society that is wrong and they don't get to decide what 'should be'. What should be is what please you and what you are comfortable with. If you were longing to be part of the crowd, that would be one thing, but you aren't, and there's no reason to accept their label of being the odd one out. There are more of us than you may realize.  Being antisocial is just as normal for you as them being social butterflies. It takes all kinds to make a world, and the hermits of the world are just as important as all the flittering annoying butterflies.

You must have fun getting on the radio and checking in with the ham nets, or you would not be spending your time and money on this pursuit. You are comfortable in your own skin and I applaud you for not caving in to society's stupid expectations.

adiantum

java, may I give you a hint to claim some bravado to face your fear of deep water?

Pick your companion... fat people float!!

there just could be a fatty or two amongst us df'ers. Stay close to them & if the ship goes down, hang on tight  :rofl:

hmmm.................maybe

i am terrified of any water that is deeper than i am tall, but if the boat was big enough and there was enough alcohol.....i might could provide the entertainment factor

:P

TX_Clint

Sing along 'Should I stay or should I go?'

Darlin' you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
If you say that you are mine
I'll be here 'til the end of time
So you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?
It's always tease tease tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees
One day is fine and next is black
So if you want me off your back
Well come on an' let me know
Should I Stay or should I go?
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

JanetP

Janet, if this is something you're planning to organize, can I suggest you go under the "Meet and Greet" forum and start a thread there in addition to this one.  This would be a good way to get a true head count and determine true interest, and would be a good way to keep all the pertinent threads together for easy access once definite plans are being made. 

I remember a Meet & Greet in Las Vegas when I first joined the forums. It was interesting reading about the plans even though I didn't get to go.  After it was over, those who went posted pictures from their trip and we all enjoyed putting names with faces.

Excellent suggestion, Linda.  Thank you.  I had forgotten that there was a "Meet & Greet" Forum.  I will do that right away.

JanetP

http://www.icruise.com/cruises/group-cruises.html

Okay, folks.  I have moved the discussion and planning to this forum per Linda's most excellent suggestion and the link to the the site I am using is above.

It is a family-oriented thing.  "Cruise" does not equal Caribbean or tropics or "hot weather".  There are tons of options available.  And we are not required to go anytime soon.  This is probably going to take months of planning.  And from what I hear cruise lines offer lots of things for the kiddos to do.

I have zero experience with cruises and will appreciate anything anyone has to add.

And I will repeat my offer, if Tony and family are interested and I am able to finagle it, he gets first dibs on discounts and freebies that usually go to the group organizer.

So, speak up!  I recognize that we are not all social types and that is perfectly fine.  And I am sure accommodations can be made for people/spouses etc. with disabilities and mobility issues.  Frenetic activity is not a requirement.  I would probably be quite happy napping in a deck chair with a book.  But I am sure that whatever we end up doing we will have a blast.

But I refuse to be held responsible if Java gets up on a table and starts singing karaoke. . . . . 

Peggy_TX

But I refuse to be held responsible if Java gets up on a table and starts singing karaoke. . . . . 

I'll only consider going if Java is guaranteed to be singing karaoke on a table!!!!!

Kit

I had a friend once who went on a cruise with her sister.  Her sister was a quadriplegic.  She said the staff were excellent in making sure she had everything she needed and doing what needed to be done.

On the first night at dinner they realized her wheel chair wouldn't work with the table.  In less than 10 minutes the staff had basically figured out an alternative out of a serving tray and some other bits and bobs.  Even figured out a little table cloth for it.  Every evening from that point on, they reassembled it within moments of her arriving at the dinner table.

The only problem they had was even the large rooms were barely large enough for her lift to get from bed to her chair, etc.

Anyway, my point is that disabilities aren't always an issue.  But I would recommend contacting the cruise line first, once selected, to make sure.

Moonpie

The only issue with disabilities, that I could see, is that some destinations do not have harbors big enough for the ships to dock in, & in that case, people have to walk onto the lifeboats & get ferried into the port, & no wheelchairs are allowed. I love going on the lifeboat, it was a new experience for me. 

As much as I'd love to go on a DF cruise, I will probably have to pass, unless I can make it on the second go round.

NoraWI

I spent a lifetime working conventions in giant hotels. A giant floating hotel does not enthuse me at all. I move for a train trip across the Canadian Rockies.

Hammer

There is nothing wrong with you, Hammer. You are just a hermit. Some people do not enjoy social discourse, and while all the rest of society will brand that person as weird or wrong, it is society that is wrong and they don't get to decide what 'should be'. What should be is what please you and what you are comfortable with. If you were longing to be part of the crowd, that would be one thing, but you aren't, and there's no reason to accept their label of being the odd one out. There are more of us than you may realize.  Being antisocial is just as normal for you as them being social butterflies. It takes all kinds to make a world, and the hermits of the world are just as important as all the flittering annoying butterflies.

You must have fun getting on the radio and checking in with the ham nets, or you would not be spending your time and money on this pursuit. You are comfortable in your own skin and I applaud you for not caving in to society's stupid expectations.

Well, maybe you're right and I am a hermit, but the thing is, I have no problem being around other people, I just can't be around people who are having fun.  The reason I don't want to be around people having fun, and this probably won't make sense to anyone, is because I'm not allowed to have fun.  Being around people having fun, causes a "steel door" to slam shut in my mind, thus preventing any fun from affecting me, and that results in me feeling uncomfortable and wanting to leave.  This is something that I inadvertently programmed myself to do when I was a kid.  I didn't know it would end up like this, but it's too late to change it.(I've been programming myself for 57 years.)  This is why I said it's not normal to be like this.

Peggy_TX

The advantage of the train would be that some folks could just for just 1 leg if time/$/interest made the full journey less likely

I'm intrigued!

JanetP

Okay.  I'll start digging around and see what I can come up with.  I looked at a site about transcanadian train trips.  Gorgeous scenery and looks like tons of fun, but waaaaaayyyy more moneydollars than a cruise.

Seagal

We've taken a couple of train trips and after 6-7 hours, even the gorgeous scenery can't negate numb butt.  Getting up and going to the lounge car and observation cars help a little.  Overnight sleeping cars appear to be very expensive.

I always thought the Canadian Rockies train trip sounded interesting.

JanetP

Yep.  That is pretty much what I have come up with, too.  And I am too old and ornery to sleep in coach anymore.

Any more cruise suggestions, anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Moonpie

The other thing about trains, is the shared bathrooms. I think Alaska is a greatdestination, although since I won't be joining you I should probably shut up. 

JanetP

Thanks for the merge.

I visited Alaska for 2 weeks in late June and early July 1995.  I hung out with friends who lived in Anchorage and absolutely loved it!  Spent the next couple of years trying to figure out how I could move there  but it never worked out.  If we end up going there I want to take a side trip to the Musk Ox farm and the Glacier Museum.

June and July are top cruise seasons for Alaska cruises, but it may be difficult for some folks to manage.  January and February are the peak seasons for Tropical cruises.  I suppose we could go to Alaska in January but I don't think people would enjoy it as much.  :P

Speak up, peeps, what suits you best?  Or should we just rent a suite of rooms in some resort somewhere instead?

Moonpie

Yes, we took a cruise to Alaska from San Francisco in Sept a few years ago, it was the last cruise of the year, when we sailed out of one port, many kids came to wave goodbye, it was  so cute, as they wouldn't be getting any more visitors till the Spring.

About 10 years ago, I went to an internet group meet up, it was fun, we all stayed in the same hotel, took over the meeting room for evening gab sessions & did sight seeing in the daytime.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.