Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Should we do this?

notme

Or you guys could skip the cruise and do something like this......

http://www.vrbo.com/337602

I was in Girdwood this year and it is a nice location without being in Anchorage and not as secluded as Denali. From there you could take the train to Seward or Talkeetna, you could drive to Denali or just chill and enjoy each other without the constraints of a cruise schedule. Split between all of you this could be an inexpensive way to meet up, rent cars together and enjoy Alaska.

JanetP

Woo-hoo! What a wonderful idea!!  Thank you!!

Who is for Alaska next summer?  or would you rather do the same kind of thing elsewhere at a different time of year?  I would prefer to find a place where someone else does the cooking.

notme

Who the heck wants to cook! There are so many places to eat in the area you would never have to cook. Many of them are walking distance.

JanetP

So, have we decided on Alaska?  and have we pinned down when? I am not even sure who all is interested in going.  I'm going to need an approximate head count when it gets closer to time to make arrangements.

macksvicky

Alaska it is :) I know I'm wanting to go, hubbs may even want to join us, we both are wanting to see Alaska. Do we know when? Need to save up some $$ if ya know what I mean :) 

LCD

What is the goal of the cruise?  Do we want to meet one another and interact? or do we just want to go on a cruise and see some neat places and maybe meet some of us?  If we go on a cruise ship with hundreds of other people, how are we going to meet other DF members? I guess the ship could arrange certain assigned tables for members, but that would still limit interaction.  Would we arrange for special outings or meetings so we could meet each other?  Perhaps, Linda suggestion of having a lodge or cabin arrange for just DF and their families would eliminate this concern.  Years ago, I went to a Kidney Transplant convention in Las Vegas and it was a blast.  I met people from all over the country.  We had meetings and also had special trips arranged that we could all enjoy together.  

There are a lot of members I would really enjoy meeting but I probably would be standing right next to them and not even know it. 

Moonpie

LCD;

On my first cruise, I joined a cruise board after I had booked it, they had a roll call for people going on the same cruise, & it was organized that we met up at a certain time on day 2 in one of the cafes or bars. It was fun, but many of them seemed not into conversation. I even bumped into one on the elevator & he did not want to say hello, talk about socially awkward.

However the long time internet chat board meet up, I went to, was a blast, the hotel let us use the meeting room off of the lobby, so we converged every night & chatted for ages. We also used the hotel shuttle to take us all out to the restaurant. So internet connections can go in many ways. I hope something can be organized & participated in.

Moonpie

Yes it is hard to plan, & it is also hard to know if a person can go or not, if no destination or date are set. I would try & go in if it was within a few hundred miles radius, I guess we could all say that. Following the thread with great interest anyhow.

sillygirl

Hi!!!!!!

I love this idea!!! The cruise sounded fantastic to me.

I have an alternative idea. Have you thought about camping or glamping. Most camp grounds have cabins that can be rented for those that dont want to sleep outdoor. I mean even disney has a camp ground.

The rates are reasonable depending where u pick from 20-50 a night for a site. This would give people the space from each other they want but the ability to gather at will.

Im using disney as a reference cause i live close so i know my way around there but realistically you could pick anywhere.

If we started the first night with a pot luck (could you imagine all the keto recipes we could try) and had a few activities that people could join in this would give us flexibility. Some of these activities could include hikes, shopping trips, crafts, or even local museums. This would allow for all price points and activity levels.

JanetP

Love it!!!  I hereby appoint you the glamping trip coordinator!!  If it is within reasonable driving distance from western NC I'll be there!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.