Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jwags

New Research on Statins

jwags

It is really criminal,,isn't it? You can't tell me that these drug companies didn't have resesrch that suggested this accelerated aging. I know when I was on Statins I felt like I was 90 years old. I really had compassion for elderly people in nursing homes if they felt this way.

adiantum

I had to retire from a great job teaching thanks to statins .

No doctor would diagnose  it , just Rx Panadeine Forte for the pain.

predb4

I'm waiting for the global class action to be  taken against these manufacturers

took 50 years for them to ban the hydrogenate fats. will never happen.

OldTech

From the source at http://ajpcell.physiology.org/content/ajpcell/early/2015/07/23/ajpcell.00406.2014.full.pdf:

"Especially, statins reduce the potential of MSCs to differentiate into macrophages while they exhibit no direct effect on macrophage function. These findings suggest that the limited capacity of MSCs to differentiate into macrophages could possibly result in decreased macrophage density within the arterial plaque, reduced inflammation, and subsequently enhance plaque stability. This would explain the Non Lipid Associated reduction in cardiovascular events. On a negative side, statins impair the osteogenic and chondrogenic differentiation potential of MSCs, increase cell senescence and apoptosis as indicated by up-regulation of p16, p53, Caspase 3, 8, and 9. Statins also impaired the expression of DNA repair genes including XRCC4, XRCC6, and Apex1. While the effect on macrophage differentiation explain the beneficial side of statins, their impact on other biologic properties of stem cells provides a novel explanation for their adverse clinical effects."

In other words, statins appear to help stabilize plaque while accelerating aging. This helps to explain why adverse events are reduced which is why doctors push statins, but they seem to really ignore the damage except when patients complain and then they just try to reduce the complaints (symptoms). One of my doctors just switched me to another statin when I complained about muscle pain, and another doctor told me that since I already had diabetes it did not make sense to worry about the risk of becoming diabetic!

In my opinion, low carb and especially a ketogenic diet is a far superior solution since lower carb minimizes circulating insulin. And minimizing insulin is what you want since hyperinsulinemia is a major cause of vessel damage in the first place. 

jwags

I'm have read other studies that said the only group that was helped by statins were older men who had already had a heart attack. There is no evidence that they help women at all as a preventative measure. I remember asking my doctor about the side effects when he stsrted me on a ststin. He said there were none. I would have stopped them sooner if I new the loss of memory, joint aches and low BP were caused by the statin. So now Inlive with depleted muscles that I cannot rebuid.

JanetP

I'm waiting for the global class action to be  taken against these manufacturers

There already are several class action suits in the works against them in the US.  I would love to see it go global.

LHarless

took 50 years for them to ban the hydrogenate fats. will never happen.

Thanks for posting. I had to look it up but it's nice to hear this.

I hope non-hydrogenated lard will be coming to my local stores.

3 years to comply is a bummer but I understand why.

They will probably scratch their heads for 2 years & 9 months then start to switch.

kooka

I refused statins when my cardiologist offered them to me to "help protect my kidneys." I know many people who had quite a few problems with them after a few month or a few years. I for one wonder sometimes just what it is we swallow these days and why doctors believe in everything they  say we "need" and why we believe it. I'm old and so what. Many did not have the honor of being blessed with age and I did. Therefore I embrace it as a blessing.

jwags

My doctor pushed statins for several years and I finally gave in when he said they were harmless. At first the symptoms were mild and Imblamed the joint pain on working out too much. It seemed like my muscles would never recover from a hard workout. In 6 months I went from someone who was very active doing weight lifting to someone who could barely lift a light grocery bag. Even when I complained about the symptoms my doctor blamed it on the flu. My friends said I looked like walking death. I took myself off of them after 15 months and most of the symptoms reversed themselves in several months. There was some permanent damage with my muscles that I can't reverse. I guess I will no longer be lifting 40-50 pound weights. 10 is about my max these days.

kooka

I am so sorry jwags. My friend ended up having leg cramps so bad it tightened her ham strings to the point she needed PT. She said it wasn't worth it and now uses natural ways to try and combat her BP like walking 4 miles a day.

Kit

I have always been a firm believer in as little medication as possible.

If a medication is needed, then by all means, take it.  But I've known too many people who end up taking a massive number of pills a day.

Mr Fuzzy has a friend who was up to 27 different pills, many of them were multiple times a day.  It was one of those were there were a couple he needed.  Then, because of side effects, a few more were added to counter those.  And then a few more added to counter side effects on the new ones.  Its a slippery slope.  And soon was taking more pills to counteract side effects of other pills than he was taking for actual conditions.  Finally found a doctor who took him off almost all of it, tried some alternates, and got him down to a more reasonable number.

Too many people now, as well as doctors, seem to follow the "just take a pill" to fix every issue.  Sometimes there are better options than medication.

As for statins, my mother went on one for three months once.  She said in that time she felt like she had ages at least 20 years, ached, couldn't concentrate, and always felt like she was falling.  Her cholesterol levels didn't budge in that time.

Over the last about year, because of my brother and just from talking to me and reading articles, she has been eating a lot more fat (and as she grew up poor and southern, a lot of that is bacon fat and lard.  Her LDL has dropped almost 50 points and her HDL has gone up a bit.  Her doctor didn't say a word.  He's still unhappy because she refuses to go back on statins.

I am sure there are people out there for which stains are an acceptable solution.  However, its because this global one size fits all way of treating people.  And we can well see even here that some things that work for some don't work for others.

jwags

I wonder if our doctors even report all of our side effects. I have heard so many people with terrible side effects. The way I felt on statins was I would rather die than live like that. I had no quality life and I was only 60.

janice21475

I wonder if our doctors even report all of our side effects. I have heard so many people with terrible side effects. The way I felt on statins was I would rather die than live like that. I had no quality life and I was only 60.

jwags,

My Husband just stopped his after 3 weeks. His sentiments echoed yours. He is still not 'out of the woods' yet.

jwags

Most of my symptoms resolved after a few months except the muscle loss. It has been 5 years since I have been off of them and my muscles are still deflated even though I am able to exercise fairly intensely now. I know know if it is just diabetic but it seems a lot of peole are having side effects.

Seagal

I got a call from the nurse to please read the email the "fill in" doctor had sent.  I did, she said all my labs were normal, but my cholesterol was high and was I still taking the statin that had been prescribed?

I told her no, due to painful joints and memory loss, I declined the statins.  I spose the cardiologist would tell me I am doomed and will have another MI, but it is what it is.  I also said that due to my TKR and recovery, I had not been taking my supplements (fish oil, etc.)and I was sure the lipids would be better next time.

OldTech
Seagal

Old tech, I have been reading about the fish oil conflicts and at this point in my life, it is just one more thing I am having trouble accepting.  Just like so many people are now afraid to eat fat because they were so brain-washed it was detrimental, now after years of saying fish oil is good, we are to believe it is not.  I know for a fact that it decreased my LDL  and trigs, and increased my HDL.

I'll have to look into the how & wherefore of the studies in order to determine if I believe them or not.

Thanks for the links though.

OldTech

Old tech, I have been reading about the fish oil conflicts and at this point in my life, it is just one more thing I am having trouble accepting.  Just like so many people are now afraid to eat fat because they were so brain-washed it was detrimental, now after years of saying fish oil is good, we are to believe it is not.  I know for a fact that it decreased my LDL  and trigs, and increased my HDL.

I'll have to look into the how & wherefore of the studies in order to determine if I believe them or not.

Thanks for the links though.

Me too. I too had been taking fish oil since I had my stents inserted in 2007. However, once I started reading about LCHF I have become leery of the polyunsaturated fats including fish oil, but I kept taking them till recently. Now I have quit given this latest evidence. I'd appreciate knowing what you think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.