Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draperygoddess

Thyroid issues and low carb

Draperygoddess

After dragging around for weeks, no energy, aching legs, heart pounding after climbing one flight of stairs, and losing 8 pounds in three weeks, it finally occurred to me that there might be something else going on besides low carb flu.  Did a little research, and voila--did you know that iodine (which I take for my underactive thyroid) is absorbed by carbohydrates, thereby reducing the amount that reaches your thyroid?  So it makes sense that if you suddenly drastically cut the carbs in your diet, that iodine you're taking might be too much.  Lo and behold, all the symptoms I've had the past few weeks can probably be attributed to an increase in the amount of iodine floating around, which means my underactive thyroid has now become an OVERACTIVE thyroid...which leads to heart palpitations, increased heart rate, fatigue and muscle weakness, weight loss, and sensitivity to heat.  Backing down that dosage now.

kooka

Wow  how great you discovered that. I have underactive and have been on Synthroid for around 8  years but LC or no lC it never bothered me. Maybe you take a higher dose than I do. Mine is .50

predb4

After dragging around for weeks, no energy, aching legs, heart pounding after climbing one flight of stairs, and losing 8 pounds in three weeks, it finally occurred to me that there might be something else going on besides low carb flu.  Did a little research, and voila--did you know that iodine (which I take for my underactive thyroid) is absorbed by carbohydrates, thereby reducing the amount that reaches your thyroid?  So it makes sense that if you suddenly drastically cut the carbs in your diet, that iodine you're taking might be too much.  Lo and behold, all the symptoms I've had the past few weeks can probably be attributed to an increase in the amount of iodine floating around, which means my underactive thyroid has now become an OVERACTIVE thyroid...which leads to heart palpitations, increased heart rate, fatigue and muscle weakness, weight loss, and sensitivity to heat.  Backing down that dosage now.

thanks 

one lives and learns.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.