Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sbwertz

Perfect hard boiled eggs every time.

sbwertz

We eat a lot of hard boiled eggs.  One of my favorite breakfasts is diced hard boiled eggs warmed in the microwave with butter and salt and pepper.  But I often ran out of hard boiled eggs and only had FRESH eggs in the fridge...which are impossible to peel when boiled.

Then I discovered pressure cooker hard boiled eggs!  No matter how fresh your eggs are, they slip right out of their shells when steamed in the pressure cooker! 

Put a trivet or steamer basket in the bottom of your pressure cooker to keep the eggs above the water (you only use 1 cup).  Place as many eggs as you need in the pressure cooker...no need to let them come to room temp...right out of the fridge works fine.  Even if you just bought them, or plucked them out from under the hens.

Set your pressure cooker to LOW pressure (7.5 psi) and when it gets up to pressure, cook the eggs for 6 minutes, then turn off the pressure cooker (or remove it from the heat on the stove.  Let the pressure drop...it doesn't take long with just a cup of water.  Open the pressure cooker and put the eggs in an ice water bath to stop them cooking. 

The peels practically fall off when you crack them!

Sharon

adiantum

I just use an electric egg cooker. The yolks softness or hardness is adjusted by the amount of water you put in.

Once cooked & dropped into cold water, they too shed their shells without breakage.

108754_53aa4b1e68b15122263519.jpeg

Seagal

Sharon, that is a really interesting tip!  Thank you

My pressure cooker is manual, so I don't think I would try it, although I'm sure it is up to the task, but I'm not.

You are the only other person I have come across that likes the diced/chopped egg with butter (micro warmed).  I spose others like it too, but have never heard it mentioned until now.  Sometimes I have extra bacon left over and add some to the egg/eggs....so filling.

Hammer

I have an even better way!  I just go to the food store and buy the eggs already cooked and peeled.  They come in bags of 10, and all I have to do is open the bag, take out three eggs, and eat them for breakfast, which I do ever day!  Heck, at 26¢ a piece, you can't beat it! (okay, I know....I'm single and I don't cook, so this is the best option for me...)

adiantum

Hammer, I'll not knock your time saving methods as I've even adopted some...paper plates!!!

Yesterdays shopping order contained 100 thick paper plates for $10

They hold their shape & can be thrown in the compost bin after use.

There are some days when I just don't need to make extra work for myself & I hate seeing dirty dishes on the sink.

I also use the  thicker paper bowls to make the 1min muffins in.

Every time I use these, I say a "Thank You Hammer"

GrammaBear

I just use an electric egg cooker. The yolks softness or hardness is adjusted by the amount of water you put in.

Once cooked & dropped into cold water, they too shed their shells without breakage.

108754_53aa4b1e68b15122263519.jpeg

Do you remember what brand of egg cooker you have?  I get tired of cooking the hard boiled eggs and then trying to peel them - it seems they are determined to hold onto their shells forever.

adiantum

Mine is a Sunbeam & is about 30yrs old. I keep it on the benchtop because I use it often.

Ive since bought one from Aldi just in case mine decided to die  as I refuse to go back to boiling  them in a pan.

Its still unopened &  packed in its box. I've been told by others that theirs from Aldi is good.

PS.  It could be older then 30years going by the thick cable

Seagal

A little off topic, but Lee mentioned paper plates....a newscast had a story about a university that did a study on hand washing dishes.  They were told to be "mindful" of the smell of the dish soap and the soothing water running over the dishes, you know, kind of a Zen experience?  We've be washing dishes since our dishwasher died a few years ago.  We use a basin and dump the grey water on plants that don't mind the soapy water.

What bothered me about the university study (done in another state) was watching them wash dishes with the water running down the drain....while many of us are in a drought.  Nice teachings there at the university!

I guess what is worse is that none of the San Francisco newscasters (and it was on several stations), not one, mentioned the water down the drain :(

adiantum

I have neighbours who wash their dishes like that & I measured it  to  their intellect level..... but a university??????????

What hope does the future hold !!

dowling gram

I don't have a pressure cooker and am not going to buy one. I use a teaspoon to peel eggs. I crack the egg all over and start at the big end where the air pocket is and peel that part off. I insert the spoon under the membrane and shell and work it down to the tip and then around. The shell breaks and slips right off.

If the shell sticks and is hard to peel that means they are old eggs. Fresh eggs peel easily.

Moonpie

I just use a pan, bring it to a boil, & turn it off. Add lid & because I have an electric stove top, it keeps on cooking, after it is turned off.  After about ten minutes, I transfer them to a bowl of cold water, they peel easily enough. I use this method, instead of a hard boil, as I can get forgetful, & the smell of burnt & exploded eggs is not pleasant.

I get so mad when I see people wasting water, we try hard & collect the laundry water for our outside plants ( those that we want to save)  some have to die off or survive on their own. I get even madder when some interfering old man walks by the house & calls us water wasters due to a few flowers in bloom.  DH heard him, & it's a good job I didn't or I'd be out with fisticuffs rasied lol

JanetP

I saw something recently about baking whole eggs in a muffin tin instead of boiling them to cook them, but haven't tried it yet.  I don't eat boiled eggs by themselves but use them in tuna salad, etc.  And boiling them is a PITA.  I have a rice cooker/ vegetable steamer gathering dust in the cabinet since I no longer eat rice.   I wonder if that would work.

And I saw something about scotch eggs that looked interesting too.  Soft boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and baked. *wandering off to surf the interwebs for recipes and directions*

And reading all the posts about saving water is enlightening, since I have lost count of how many days in a row it has rained here now.  Remembering all the whining I was doing about needing rain in August and now I feel like I am growing webs between my toes. 

Do you guys use rain barrels to collect rainwater when it does rain?  I heard that was supposedly becoming illegal. 

adiantum

With the using grey water, I use an antibacterial detergent for the dishes  & Phosphorus free detergent in the laundry .

Both are to protect the soil as much as possible.

I lived in what used to be a heavily polluted region with cadmium, lead , arsenic  in the air.

Collecting rain water was not permitted years ago but that has been relaxed now, and  we are encouraged to have a water tank that's connected to the toilet's flushing system.

Its not to be used as drinking water.

LHarless

I have a better way.

Once the boiled eggs have been in the water bath for a few minutes I will take one and crack the bottom then rake my thumb across the bottom. If the shell doesn't easily come off my wife does them for me  :P

princesslinda

I boil the eggs in water with a little salt and vinegar. When done, I immerse them in ice water until they are cool.  I then put them in a tea towel and roll them around a bit cracking the skin and it peels right off.  I've heard that older eggs are easier to peel. 

Something I saw on Food Network a few months back was to turn your egg carton upside down when you bring it home. Doing this will "center" the yolk, so if you're making "deviled eggs," you have a pretty, centered yolk, rather than a yolk that's on one side, plus you don't have that thinner white area that sometimes tears when you fill it with the deviled egg mixture.

Hammer

Hammer, I'll not knock your time saving methods as I've even adopted some...paper plates!!!

Yesterdays shopping order contained 100 thick paper plates for $10

They hold their shape & can be thrown in the compost bin after use.

There are some days when I just don't need to make extra work for myself & I hate seeing dirty dishes on the sink.

I also use the  thicker paper bowls to make the 1min muffins in.

Every time I use these, I say a "Thank You Hammer"

I also don't use regular plates anymore, I use styrofoam plates.  I place a few paper towels on top of the plate, then place whatever I'm going to eat on the paper towels.  That's typically, fresh broccoli, fresh cauliflower, pepperoni slices, or celery.  When I'm finished eating, I just throw away the paper towels and save the styrofoam plate. 

Tonibaby

found on pinterest..add a pinch or two of baking soda to the boiling water (something about it changes the pH level or something like that) I haven't had a problem since. The shell slides right off!

CandaceV

We eat hard boiled eggs every day for breakfast.  We have an electric egg cooker that works quickly.  Easy peeling requires an ice bath for about 3 min.

It's  Krups brand #F23070 available on Amazon for $28 and free shipping if you have Prime.  Ours is about 7 years old and we use it daily.

I used to fry them every morning in butter, but since I got a part-time job, I gave the job of breakfast to my husband, who can't fry an egg to save his soul.

meyery2k

I saw something recently about baking whole eggs in a muffin tin instead of boiling them to cook them, but haven't tried it yet.  I don't eat boiled eggs by themselves but use them in tuna salad, etc.  And boiling them is a PITA.  I have a rice cooker/ vegetable steamer gathering dust in the cabinet since I no longer eat rice.   I wonder if that would work.

And I saw something about scotch eggs that looked interesting too.  Soft boiled eggs wrapped in sausage and baked. *wandering off to surf the interwebs for recipes and directions*

And reading all the posts about saving water is enlightening, since I have lost count of how many days in a row it has rained here now.  Remembering all the whining I was doing about needing rain in August and now I feel like I am growing webs between my toes. 

Do you guys use rain barrels to collect rainwater when it does rain?  I heard that was supposedly becoming illegal. 

Janet - Scotch eggs are the best!  I would strongly encourage you to try them!

Moonpie

I love scotch eggs, they are a big fave of ours, they are a pain to make, but so yummy. I watched a video on u tube to see how to make them. We went not so low carb & added a few breadcrumbs & baked them. Now I am craving them again. lol

dowling gram

We eat hard boiled eggs every day for breakfast.  We have an electric egg cooker that works quickly.  Easy peeling requires an ice bath for about 3 min.

It's  Krups brand #F23070 available on Amazon for $28 and free shipping if you have Prime.  Ours is about 7 years old and we use it daily.

I used to fry them every morning in butter, but since I got a part-time job, I gave the job of breakfast to my husband, who can't fry an egg to save his soul.

I'll bet he turns the heat on high to fry eggs. My husband does this and he ends up with a crust on the bottom and edges. Telling him to turn down the heat does no good. I think that he doesn't like cooking much and knows that I'll take over if i"m going to eat them and that suits him fine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.