Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kate41316

very high blood sugar at 12 weeks (22 mmol, or 394mg)

kate41316

Hello everyone,

I am both embarassed and upset to be posting this but I am looking to hear from others.  Waiting to hear from my doctor.

Typically I have very good control over my blood sugar, A1c in low 6s.  Yesterday I ate a meal I wanst used to and believe I had a kink as well.  Within an hour it was at 22mmol/L.  I of course paniced and corrected.  It came back down to normal levels within an hour and a half but I can't help but be so upset and scared.

Can others share if they ever had a reading that high during early pregnancy and the outcome - doctor feedback?  I dont need anyone to explain to me what sugars should be at, this was a one off.  Just looking for anyone who has gone through this.

I did read through other posts regarding high blood sugars but they were not as high a lot would mention being between (10 and 15 max).  I know 22 is much worse.

Thank you

NoraWI

Kate, I haven't been pregnant in almost 50 years so can't really say much more than I don't think that a brief apike like that (and it was quite a high!) that you corrected promptly would do any damage to you nor to your forming baby. I am sure your doctor will likewise calm your fears. Long term high BGs will do damage but I wouldn't worry about a one off like this. Just don't make it a habit, of course. :)

CaitE

Hello

I am almost 14 weeks. I am noticing the start of some insulin resistance and have been really struggling today. My sugar hovered around 10-11 all am. Got it down to 7.0 for lunch. Then spiked to 18 afterwards. Made me feel like garbage. I took a bolus correction on my pump and as it didn't seem to respond fast enough, I took a syringe shot. My A1C 3 weeks ago was 6.1, so I really try to focus in the big picture. This is my second pregnancy. My daughter was born completely healthy and had similar struggles. Your docs really use the A1C As as an indicator of your overall control.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.