Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zorch

Question on Diabetic Nutrition Rx supplement

Zorch

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Diabetic Nutrition Rx supplement by Progressive Research Labs.  I'm thinking about trying it out, but don't know if it is advisable to take this supplement since I'm already on 1000mg of Metformin per day. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

- Zorch

moe22

If I'm reading this right you're wanting to take a supplement  plus you're meds??, Personally I don't think I'd do that; if you're meds aren't giving you the desired bs control talk to you're Dr. about this ( she may wont to increase   you're pill to 2x a day)...FYI never take any supplements without first consulting you're Dr.( he/ she knows more about you than some lab.  )

Zorch

If I'm reading this right you're wanting to take a supplement  plus you're meds??, Personally I don't think I'd do that; if you're meds aren't giving you the desired bs control talk to you're Dr. about this ( she may wont to increase   you're pill to 2x a day)...FYI never take any supplements without first consulting you're Dr.( he/ she knows more about you than some lab.  )

Moe22 - thanks for your response.  I will obviously consult my physician before taking any supplements, but I still am interested in understanding if anyone is taking this along with Met or if they flat out replaced Met (or other traditional drugs) with this supplement.  I think the Met is working well for me (only been on it for about 3 weeks, DX'd earlier this September), but I think my diet/lifestyle changes have helped even more (low carb, no alcohol, increased my cardio from 3x to 5x per week).   My average BG over the past two weeks has been ~111 (BG at DX was ~ 300, A1c of 11), so at least I know I'm heading in the right direction.  Best regards - Zorch

jwags

What is in the supplement? I do take some individual supplements and vitamins but I don't use those diabetic mixes.

Here is the list of what I take in addition to 2550 mg of Metformin.

Tumeric

Chromium

Magnesium

CoQ10

Melatonin

Vit D

zinc

Calcium

Vit K2

Probiotic

Occuvite eye vitamins

Seagal

The site you mentioned had many different supplements, which one are you interested in and what are the ingredients?

There are some supplements that can be beneficial, but if Met is doing the job (or not) it should either be increased on perhaps more tweaking on the diet?

Need more info on what your ideas are and the benefits you are hoping for.

moe22

Sorry I misunderstood , but the answer to you question is no I haven't, maybe other on here have though ... By the By keep up  the good work, My A1c this month was 6.3% ("a grey area for me") but my Dr. was pleased ,I guess she knows since I don't shop for myself; & has to eat what my Mother brings in ( & believe me  she doesn't pay any attn. to carbs) I'm doing good. I use to take calcium but quit. I take Fosmax (once a week) {70 mg.} & still drink my kind of milk (low in carbs)  & eat cheese & yogurt & was getting enough calcium ...I thought

predb4

i kept the prediabetes on supplements for 1.5 years.  just started met and did not drop them.

met will likely need to be increased.

but i chose affordable ones, some of those 60 dollar bottle mixes are crap.

Zorch

Sorry I misunderstood , but the answer to you question is no I haven't, maybe other on here have though ... By the By keep up  the good work, My A1c this month was 6.3% ("a grey area for me") but my Dr. was pleased ,I guess she knows since I don't shop for myself; & has to eat what my Mother brings in ( & believe me  she doesn't pay any attn. to carbs) I'm doing good. I use to take calcium but quit. I take Fosmax (once a week) {70 mg.} & still drink my kind of milk (low in carbs)  & eat cheese & yogurt & was getting enough calcium ...I thought

Moe22 - No worries - your advice was sound advice -  and congrats to your success! - Zorch

Zorch

The site you mentioned had many different supplements, which one are you interested in and what are the ingredients?

There are some supplements that can be beneficial, but if Met is doing the job (or not) it should either be increased on perhaps more tweaking on the diet?

Need more info on what your ideas are and the benefits you are hoping for.

Seagal - the product is literally called "Diabetic Nutrition Rx."  This is their original supplement formula - there is also a "Phase II" available.  Jwags asked me about the contents - when I have a chance I'll list the active ingredients to give more info.  I didn't pay any attention to the cost, so I'll take a look at that too.  Best regards - Zorch 

Zorch

What is in the supplement? I do take some individual supplements and vitamins but I don't use those diabetic mixes.

Here is the list of what I take in addition to 2550 mg of Metformin.

Tumeric

Chromium

Magnesium

CoQ10

Melatonin

Vit D

zinc

Calcium

Vit K2

Probiotic

Occuvite eye vitamins

Jwags - I'll post a list of the active ingredients when I get a chance - thanks for the response! - Zorch

Seagal

I guess the supplement is trying to cover all the bases, it certainly has a boatload of stuff that has been mentioned in various forums, but not all in one capsule!  I didn't notice how many one would take per day, but for $13.95 it is reasonable.  But I wouldn't take it and the Met unless you check with the dr. and I would imagine he would just increase the met.

Guess I'm saying for me it would be "either/or".

A lot of newly dx. start off with different supplements and some work and some don't.  What works the most is dietary change & exercise.

jwags

A lot of the supplements I take for other issues besides diabetes. I really don't believe there is any supplement that lowers bgs like diabetic meds. Most of the ones I take decrease inflammation or help my muscles and ligaments support my bones. I also use Great Lakes Collagen/Gelatin in my morning tea.

Seagal

Jeanne, I also use supplements for my arthritis and either my knee implant is getting much better or the "drink" I make every day is finally working!  Either way, I have been able to stay off the percocet and use advil & tramadol.

I recently added Grape Seed Extract powder and hylauronic acid powder to my drink which includes the Green Lakes bovine collagen and a marine collagen from ProCap Labs.

GSE

H.A.

Vit. C

Collagens

MSM

Ionic Magnesium

All shaken up in a container of 4-C s.f. cranberry/pomegranate mix.  Wish they hadn't stopped making the mix in the container with the little tubs, guess it wasn't eco-friendly.

macksvicky

It looks like the Diabetic Nutrition RX is full of vitamins than you can get with a One a Day. I read one of the two reviews on the product that said the supplement helped with their hypo issues. If it works for hypos I don't think it would be very good for lowering your numbers.  

jwags

A friend of mine has MS and arthritis. Her doctor advised her to stop the arthris drugs and use tumeric instead. She says it works just as well. My arthritis esoecially in my fingers is much better with the tumeric and collagen powder. I am also hoping it strengthens my ligaments and bones as I age. The only combo supplement I take is the Occuvite for my eyes. Most combos or multivitamins don't have enough of the supplement or vitamin for me.

predb4

A friend of mine has MS and arthritis. Her doctor advised her to stop the arthris drugs and use tumeric instead. She says it works just as well. My arthritis esoecially in my fingers is much better with the tumeric and collagen powder. I am also hoping it strengthens my ligaments and bones as I age. The only combo supplement I take is the Occuvite for my eyes. Most combos or multivitamins don't have enough of the supplement or vitamin for me.

J what type of turmeric you use, the pure stuff or the kitchen variety.  i might need that.

thanks

ronmesnard

Active Ingredients:

Vanadyl Sulfate:

• Improves insulin efficiency by allowing greater absorption of insulin at the receptor site.
  • Improves cell responsiveness to insulin, thereby easing insulin resistance at the receptor site.
  • Helps activate glucose transports, activates glycogen synthase in the fat cells, and stimulates carbohydrate uptake in the liver.

Chromium Aspartate:

• Helps lower elevated blood sugar levels in diabetics.
  • Helps reduce high blood pressure.
  • Helps reduce elevated cholesterol levels.
  • Helps increase the number and sensitivity of insulin receptor sites.
  • Helps reduce body fat and build lean muscle tissue.
  • Aspartate form has the best assimilation and bioavailability.

L-Carnitine:

• Improves metabolism of glucose in the cell bodies.
  • Improves metabolism and mobilization of stored fat cells.

L-Glutamine:

• Helps metabolize sugars and fats.
  • Helps in reducing fatigue.
  • Helps to curb the craving for sugar.

Niacinamide:

• Helps rejuvenation and extends remission time of the pancreas.

Digestive Enzyme Complex:

• Contains eight of the most effective and highest quality digestive enzymes to help ensure the proper digestion and metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.

Nothing looks dangerous to me.maybe it will help.

jwags do you know what type of medication your friend was on?  How much tumeric are you on and is it the spice or the extract?  Tumeric is an anti inflammatory and possibly the most powerful naturally occurring one.  I tried taking the spice tumeric and found it worthless for me.  That doesn't mean it will not work for others.  I take Tylenol at breakfast and dinner and Aspirin at breakfast and naproxen at dinner. The tylenol does not do much but I know when I miss a single dose of the stronger stuff.  The  naproxen works much better than aspirin for me.  I can tell over time that the  Tylenol does something but not the tumeric.  I figure it all has to do with genetics.  There are several genes that contribute to RA.  The medicine I take targets one of those genes.  It doesn't work very well if you don't have that bad gene and works only moderately well if you have several bad RA genes.  Apparently I have the one bad gene and maybe no others since that drug has a power effect on me.  The key is learning more about genetics. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.