Diabetes forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScoobySteve

Yogurt is EVIL, Who knew?

ScoobySteve

Read the label.  5 grams of protein, 10 grams of sugar and 15 grams of carbs.  

So it has twice the sugar and three times the carbs as it does protein.  

I never realized this and thought I would post it up in case you hadn't notice either.  Not recommended for a diabetic diet........

Kit

A lot of people think its healthy to eat that sugary fruity dessert.  Similar to how they think granola bars are healthy and not glorified candy bars.

Now some people here do like and can tolerate plain greek yogurt.  It has a better nutritional profile.  Like Fage Total is 18g protein and 8g carbs per serving.

Some here also make their own.  It seems somewhat easy if you're interested in that kind of thing.  If you do some searches here, you'll find a few threads on the subject.

jwags

I don't think it is evil, yogurt has lots of healty properties for the gut. I rarely eat more than 1/2 cup at a time and only use Unsweet Greek yogurt with live cultures. I usually allow 5-10 carbs for breakfast and this fits the bill. My FAGE yogurt has 9 carbs per cup and 23 grams of protein. So it actually has 

2 1/2 times the protein than carbs. You need to change your brand of yogurt.

ScoobySteve

I don't think it is evil, yogurt has lots of healty properties for the gut. I rarely eat more than 1/2 cup at a time and only use Unsweet Greek yogurt with live cultures. I usually allow 5-10 carbs for breakfast and this fits the bill. My FAGE yogurt has 9 carbs per cup and 23 grams of protein. So it actually has 

2 1/2 times the protein than carbs. You need to change your brand of yogurt.

I took this from the label from the Yoplait light yogurt Sam's Club sells.  Your yogurt is much better.  My wife and I were looking at carbs on labels and were astonished at things like Tortillas and what not.

jwags

I get my FAGE yogurt at Costco. Look in the Deli section of your grocery store for the Low Carb Tortillas. There are lots of brand that are 4-7 net carbs per tortilla. There are lots of subs for the carby treats we used to eat. I can make cookies, muffins, bread, cakes, almost anything and keep it low carb.

samuraiguy

Store brand yogurt with added sugar and bulking agents = evil.  Make your own Greek yogurt (1 cup = 9 garms carbs) = pure, thick, probioticky goodness :D  FYI anything marked as "light" is more carby because most of the time they add carby fillers to make up for less fat.

predb4

not my greek yogurt, that i make at home.

when i was young and foolish i thought ribena was healthy.

and i thought i was doing a really healthy thing by going on the oatmeal diet. lol

funkynassau

I eat plain organic yogurt with no added stuff in it.  It's kind of thin but it's good.  A few blueberries tossed in makes it better.  I dont believe that is evil.  What's evil is the commercial yogurts in the grocery store that lead you to believe they are healthy when they are not.

Fraser

Anything you buy premade from a store can be evil, even marinated beef.

Yogurt, from great to crazy bad. Just read the label

Fage Greek yogurt fan here, I just include it in my carb count, and of course plain yogurt no stuff added.

I think about 8 gm carb.

I am a confirmed carb counter

Just curious, I checked two hours after start of dinner bs 84.

Bar&In

All depends on what kind, the Greek yogurt I eat daily contains 9g of carbs with 7 sugars while the guy at work who is type 2 was eating the kind out of our work store that has around 35g and a lot of sugar (can't remember exact number) until I brought him in a container of mine and showed him difference and that the lower one actually tasted better as well.

Sobriquet

I have never had a problem with plain yogurt- particularly Greek yogurt. I know I'm type 1 but any carb in the morning is like a sugar bomb for me.

I have even made my own "greek" yogurt from store bought yogurt by straining it- it's a gross process but with every drop of whey that comes out, the sugar count also drops. If you have pets or kids with weird tastebuds they can have it... I also make my own yogurt when I'm have a yogurt rush- they come and go.

Still annoying trying to scrape yogurt off a cheesecloth though.

JanetP

Instead of a cheesecloth I use a large plastic mesh strainer.  Much easier to clean.  And the longer you steam your milk the thicker your yogurt will be.  The ideal is to reduce it to half the original volume.

Java

i hang my yogurt for several hours after it's done in the crockpot and it gets really thick

haven't made any in a while and have been lazily consuming oikos triple zero ~ maybe i can make some this weekend

kooka

I buy Kroger Carb Smart yogurt. Only like the vanilla since I am really not all that into yogurt but its a quick grab if you are out the door in a hurry.

• Calories 60

Calories from Fat 13

Total Fat 1.5g 2%

Saturated Fat 1g 5%

Cholesterol 10mg 3%

Sodium 100mg 4%

Potassium 140mg 4%

Carbohydrates 4g 1%

Dietary Fiber 1g -1%

Protein 12g

It never affects my BG's at all whether I eat it with a protein or not. The sugar is sweetener. Not sure if it's Splenda or Stevia or another one.

kooka

I also get @Mission Carb Balance whole wheat soft taco shells. They are big so I only use half of one for a wrap. The net carbs for 1/2 is 2.

Carbs-19

Fiber -15

Protein- 5

=4 net carbs for a whole one.

jwags

I use those low carb tortillas when I hike to make peanut butter sandwiches and just roll them up. I also use them to make LC pizzas. if you just look in stores there is a lot of LC things that make our life easier. I find the store brand pizza sauce is much lower carbs than jarred spagetti sauce. I think the Giant brand I buy is 2 net carbs per 1/4'cup.

Moonpie

I like to buy the carb smart yogurt, I already spend too much time in the kitchen, low carb requires alot of cooking, so if I can get something pre-made, like the cab master yogurts, I go for it.

stevenal

Here's how exorcise the evil from yogurt: Start with Straus plain whole milk Greek yogurt. Nothing but milk and cultures in it, and very good. I add a bit of cream, and a sprinkle of inulin powder. Inulin is a pre-biotic, great for combining with the yogurt pro-biotics, and adds some sweetness. Then add a few berries from the garden, or a splash of vanilla extract (1st Street brand from Cash and Carry has no sugar in the ingredients list). Great nighttime snack.

predb4

I have never had a problem with plain yogurt- particularly Greek yogurt. I know I'm type 1 but any carb in the morning is like a sugar bomb for me. I have even made my own "greek" yogurt from store bought yogurt by straining it- it's a gross process but with every drop of whey that comes out, the sugar count also drops. If you have pets or kids with weird tastebuds they can have it... I also make my own yogurt when I'm have a yogurt rush- they come and go. Still annoying trying to scrape yogurt off a cheesecloth though.

I line a small stainless steel container with a few coffeefilters to strain the yogurt.  the filter peel off easily and get discarded.

cheescloth is too much work.

ScoobySteve

i hang my yogurt for several hours after it's done in the crockpot and it gets really thick

haven't made any in a while and have been lazily consuming oikos triple zero ~ maybe i can make some this weekend

My wife bought some of the Oikos tripple zero but when I read the label I was a bit disappointed.  15 Carbs 7 Sugars but at least it has 15 protein.  

Forester

I line a small stainless steel container with a few coffeefilters to strain the yogurt.  the filter peel off easily and get discarded.

cheescloth is too much work.  

Yeah, that's what I use also, after trying the cheesecloth.  Much simpler!  To be honest, since the time I drain the yogurt is variable, I don't really know the actual carb count; it might be close to zero.  But I'd guess that it is lower than Fage (which I use as a starter culture).

For sandwiches, pizza crusts, and crackers, I use Joseph's low carb pita bread from the deli section of Walmart.  It is not gluten free, but only has 5 net grams per pita, and I generally use only half of one at a time, as a sandwich pocket.  They also are good as a "personal pan" pizza on occasion.  For "nacho" style crackers, I cut up a couple of pitas into wedges, spray them with olive oil, dust on some salt, and bake them for about 6 minutes at 350 degrees.  I take these to our local TexMex restaurant, and use them instead with the salsa.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.