Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draperygoddess

Disappointed

Draperygoddess

After five weeks of misery, I thought I had finally turned the corner.  I got up this morning and tested 82--I haven't been below 100 since I started testing.  I ate 1/2 cup Fage 2% yogurt with Torini syrup and a cup of coffee with half and half (3 tablespoons @ 1carb/tablespoon) and 2 packets of splenda.  An hour later, I tested 120.  Took a shower, tested at 2 hrs at 136.

My resting heart rate has been around 120, and after taking a shower a couple of days ago it was 150. I'm drinking as much as I can, and have been having a cup of chicken broth daily (though the past couple of days I was too nauseated to get it down). Every muscle from my head to my feet aches like I've been lifting weights. I'm downing diet ginger ale constantly to combat the nausea. Headaches, of course. Exhaustion. Not my thyroid--I tried going back on my iodine and I was a nervous wreck and couldn't sleep. Any suggestions? 

JanetP

It sounds like something else may be going on besides the low carb flu.  How many carbs are you eating per day?  You may need to eat a few more.  Going cold turkey off carbs can make some people very sick and they have to cut down gradually. 

Your caffeine intake could also be contributing to it.  After many many years of being a caffeine junkie I had to go off coffee and be very careful about my tea and cola consumption.  I have found that a LCHF diet has changed very many things for me, especially in the way I respond to medications.

Draperygoddess

It sounds like something else may be going on besides the low carb flu.  How many carbs are you eating per day?  You may need to eat a few more.  Going cold turkey off carbs can make some people very sick and they have to cut down gradually. 

Your caffeine intake could also be contributing to it.  After many many years of being a caffeine junkie I had to go off coffee and be very careful about my tea and cola consumption.  I have found that a LCHF diet has changed very many things for me, especially in the way I respond to medications.

I've tapered down from 50-60 carbs/day to 30-40. I've wondered if I needed to add some back, but most people have told me I need to cut them more. I don't see how I can go any lower...I can barely function on what I'm eating now. But after the jump after eating so few carbs, I'm worried about what will happen if I add back more.  So coffee made your BG go up?  I have cut back from two cups to one.  Maybe I can try to taper off and see if it makes a difference.  But would it cause a spike two hours later?

Definitely agree with the medications bit--I've had to stop iodine completely. 

OldTech

It sounds like it is time for a general blood workup to see if anything is out of balance.

It also sounds like you may be restricting fat too much. When we eat low carb we need moderate protein (~1 g protein per kilogram of body weight) and high fat. I would also try adding 250 mg magnesium and make liberal use of the salt shaker. 

dowling gram

Are you taking Metforman. It sound like what you have is the side effects of it. You may have to see your doctor and switch medications. If you haven't tried the extended release Metforman (Metforman ER) I strongly recommend you give it a try. Many have found that they don't have near the side effects from the extended release as they do with the regular one. If not there are others.

I had a severe reaction to Metforman so my doctor put me on Januvia. 3 years later the only thing that I've got from it is normal blood sugar readings and absolutely no side effects

Draperygoddess

Are you taking Metforman. It sound like what you have is the side effects of it. You may have to see your doctor and switch medications. If you haven't tried the extended release Metforman (Metforman ER) I strongly recommend you give it a try. Many have found that they don't have near the side effects from the extended release as they do with the regular one. If not there are others.

I had a severe reaction to Metforman so my doctor put me on Januvia. 3 years later the only thing that I've got from it is normal blood sugar readings and absolutely no side effects

No medications yet.  I have a very sensitive stomach--I get nauseated on multivitamins. One of the reasons I'm trying to avoid Met. 

Magnesium could be a possibility. As far as fat, I have been eating about 100g per day. Although at this point I'm not eating as much, period, due to the nausea. I feel like I'm force-feeding myself. 

kooka

Low carb flu only lasted for me for around 5 days and I felt fatigued to the max. Woke up one morning and felt 20 years younger. Splenda  raises my BG's. I can only use Stevia in the Raw. Sounds to me like you aren't eating enough which will cause headaches, aches and pains, fatigue and nausea. When I stated Atkins many moons ago I went from eating whatever I liked to 20 carbs a day and fat. I was never hungry. Today I have had 0 carbs so far and will likely have less than 15 by bedtime but I will have fat. 3 TBS. coconut oil and whatever I fry my fish in tonight with olive oil on my salad and butter on my lc vegetables. Without the fat I would be hungry and sick. Tried low carb and very low fat and it just did not do me any favors. What do you eat during the day? 1/2 cup of yogurt and a cup of coffee sounds not enough to fuel your body to me. Starvation will raise your blood pressure as well as very hot water. Do you shower using hot water?

samuraiguy

An A1C of 5.7 and still under 140 mg/dl at 2 hours as a diabetic is something to celebrate. The even better news is with a FBG of 82 mg/dl that's going to help offset the times you do go higher than your goal numbers and your A1C may very well be lower than 5.7 by now. If you have any weight to lose and aren't exercising as much as you can those are additional ways you can help with insulin resistance besides just lowering carbs.

I agree with OldTech to perhaps try and raise your fat intake because your body has to run on something and if you deny it both fat and carbs you will probably feel miserable. I have GERDS and fat and GERDS don't mix well (neither do fat and nausea), but some ways I sneak it in there when I do go VLC  is heavy whipping cream in my coffee, or egg yolks spread out 5 times a day and nut butters 1 tablespoon at a time.

JanetP

I agree with the need for labs. My very sensitive stomach has settled down quite a bit since going LC.  Up your fat intake, most of mine comes from dairy and avocados and coconut oil and olive oil.  100 mg a day is not enough, and back off on the caffeine. You could add back a few carbs temporarily, dry soda crackers for example, to settle yourself down.

Coffee gave me anxiety attacks, which just started a whole cascade of symptoms.

Magnesium can give you as upset a stomach as metformin, so be careful and go slow with it.  Magnesium oil applied to your skin may be a good way to start, or just soaking in an epsom salt bath.

Draperygoddess

I can eat 1/2 cup of yogurt and be full.  I try to eat snacks between meals to get enough calories in--I'm shooting for 1300 a day, but it's hard to get there.  I do use olive oil and butter for cooking, full-fat sour cream, cheese, nuts.  I'm not trying to do low-fat, and fat is 65-70% of my calories.  I can't handle the cream in my coffee--I end up feeling overly full and sick.  Currently 108.5 pounds--thinner than I want to be.  I haven't exercised since the second week--it did help my BG, but I'm too exhausted to try it now.  Getting past the nausea to eat more is becoming more difficult.  I am trying to add some carbs to see if it will take the edge off.

Hot water in the shower--yes, but not steaming. I have the same elevated pulse when I climb stairs, dry my hair, sort the laundry--everything seems to wear me out. I see the doctor next Monday, so hopefully we can figure out what's going on.

I know my A1C sounds pretty good, but for me it is the beginning of a wild ride.  My dad, uncle, and grandmother were all insulin-dependent. My dad started off just like me--hypoglycemic in his 30's, probably pre-diabetic in his 40's, diabetic in his 50's and on insulin by his 60's. My grandmother was active, never overweight. My uncle died of complications in his 60's. I am seeing a marked change in my BG from just a couple of years ago, and I don't want to end up like them. I have seen my BG shoot to 190 an hour after a high-carb meal, still over 140 after 2 hrs. To me, that's a warning.  I have got to get this under control. Right now, I feel like my body is fighting me.  

kooka

I think you need to see your doctor and maybe he/she can add some light to this as to why you are so sick to your stomach and losing so much weight. To me diabetes is an individual disease. My 96 year old sister is type 2 for over 40 years. She takes Metformin. My 92 year old brother (type 2) takes Metformin. My 90 year old sister (type 1) is on insulin and has been for 60 years, My mom (type 1)passed at 87 and she was insulin dependent for over 40 years. I also have a late sister who was a type 2 on insulin and pills. I don't let all that play in my situation though as I am taking care taking care of it. I don't know what they eat, when they dose or anything about their diabetes other than the types and how it's treated. We each had to find out what to do to help ourselves and just go for it. Weight had nothing to do with any of them. It's genetic and runs in my family well into the 5th. generation.

dowling gram

I wonder if you took something to settle your stomach before you ate. Something like ginger tea. Ginger is a good nausea remedy. I really think there is more going on than low carb flu--something I never had. I think your doctor needs to find out what it is.

jwags

When I take a hot shower or bath my BP drops but my HR rises. I tend to monitor my BP a lot since if often goes under 100/60. I think you may need a full workup of labs to determine what is causing your problems. I had to give up coffee and diet sodas because they were spiking my HR. My HR is now in a normal range 61-85 most days. I think your body might be fighting some type of inflammation.

NoraWI

All the T2s on this Forum have been giving you good advice... for a T2. Frankly, I think you may be a slow developing T1 (LADA). Insist your doctor run a GAD65 antibody test. Your symptoms sound on the verge of DKA.

jwags

It is my understanding that DKA only occurs when you have no insulin on board, So your bgs go very high 400+. I do think you may have some other condition that may need to be investigated.

Fraser

All the T2s on this Forum have been giving you good advice... for a T2. Frankly, I think you may be a slow developing T1 (LADA). Insist your doctor run a GAD65 antibody test. Your symptoms sound on the verge of DKA.

I agree and have posted this before. Obviously something non standard is happening, and you need to find out what is going on.

Step one rule type one out or into the equation. Feeling bad is not constructive. Feel better

Draperygoddess

Fraser, one more week till my doctor's appointment. One day hopefully I will have decent insurance and be able to see a doctor when I need one! Hoping he has some answers.

Fraser

Sorry not trying to be a nag, but I have know several people diagnosed T2 but we rediagnosed slow onset t1, they we're miserable and exhausted all the time, kept loosing weight and their numbers weren't all that bad.

I hope you do get better insurance, you should not need to wait to find out why you have felt so bad for a month.

Hope your doc understands all this and low carb diet. Take care

kooka

We have health clinics here that charge on a sliding scale depending on your income. Maybe you could go to one of those in your area.

jwags

Your symptoms also may be caused by something other than your diabetes. Until you see your doctor I would increase your carbs and eat some comfort food that makes you feel better. I really think you are not eating enough. I need around 1600-1800 calories just to maintain my weight and feel well. Now my bgs run much higher than yours , so I do have to restrict carbs. But your bgs are OK right now, so a higher carb diet should be OK. If you don't eat enough calories then your body sometimes will start to break down your organs for protein and glucose, so be careful. Not everyone can do a LC diet safely.

Seagal

DG, So sorry you are still feeling miserable and hope your dr. visit will give you some answers.  Please be making notes of all symptoms so you won't forget anything to discuss with doctor.  Include the list of tests that may have been discussed here.

I'm not saying you would forget anything, since you have been living it for a month, but sometimes we get rushed or feel overwhelmed when confronted by the white coat and you need answers.

Hang in there dear :hug:  :hug: .

Draperygoddess

Unfortunately, there are no doctors in my area that accept my insurance, none of the urgent care clinics do either.  So our choice is either the doc-in-a-box at the local pharmacy or the ER if we need to see someone right away.  I called three different places today and was told they were either booked solid, didn't take my insurance anymore, or were no longer accepting new patients with my insurance. I am going to contact my former doctor and see if she will see me if I pay up front once I get my lab results from the osteopath. Since she has my medical history for the past four years, I'd rather see her.  I also know she'll listen to me.  Then hopefully when my husband gets his promotion, we can get some decent insurance and I can stay with her.  I'm beginning to worry about kidney problems...my original plan was to control my BG with diet and exercise and put off seeing the doctor till the first of the year, but the way things are going, I don't think I can afford to do that.  

jwags

We are self employed so we have had to purchase our own insurance for the past 20 years. We had a $11,000 deductible so all our medical care was out of pocket. Even with doctors in our plan we had to pay the full insurance adjusted cost.So I understand your plight. Are you worried about kidney problems from diabetes? I think it takes many years of very high bgs before diabetes affect your kidneys. My bgs were in the 200-400 range, probably for many years before I was officially dx'd. My kidneys are fine. Go back to your old doctor, since you trust her. In the past we have had to pay for all our labs so I would try to schedule a yearly physical so some diagnostic labs were covered with the free physical. So check your policy, all ACA policies require companies to give a yearly physical, free. But it has to be coded right or you get the bill.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.