Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draperygoddess

Disappointed

Draperygoddess

I'm concerned about kidney problems because of the symptoms I've been having (fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, muscle pain, hiccups, and swelling in my ankles and feet). It may not be due to high BG, but it has all started since I went to a LCHF diet and started eating more cheese, nuts, etc. I want to rule that out.  In the past I have had some urine tests that came back abnormal for one reason or another, all eventually ruled as nothing to worry about, but apparently stress and exercise effect my results. 

Draperygoddess

We are self employed so we have had to purchase our own insurance for the past 20 years. We had a $11,000 deductible so all our medical care was out of pocket. Even with doctors in our plan we had to pay the full insurance adjusted cost.So I understand your plight. Are you worried about kidney problems from diabetes? I think it takes many years of very high bgs before diabetes affect your kidneys. My bgs were in the 200-400 range, probably for many years before I was officially dx'd. My kidneys are fine. Go back to your old doctor, since you trust her. In the past we have had to pay for all our labs so I would try to schedule a yearly physical so some diagnostic labs were covered with the free physical. So check your policy, all ACA policies require companies to give a yearly physical, free. But it has to be coded right or you get the bill.

We have had individual insurance for years, since most of our married life we didn't have the option of employer's insurance.  But we also had the income to pay for it.  Now we don't.  It would be about $800 a month to insure the five of us through a standard plan. My husband currently makes roughly half what he did at his previous job, so we can't afford it.  The state insurance will pay for most of our doctor visits, but there's no doctor to visit!  Basically useless.  My dad, who is diabetic, has told me that he will help with the bills if I go back to my old doctor, if I can convince her to take me. The practice she works in may not allow  her to treat someone without insurance.

jwags

We used to pay $858 for individual insurance with a $11,000 deductible. So it was basically catastrophic. I just went on Medicare whichnis costing me $228 a month and my husband's insurance dropped to $558 a month. Insurance prices are ridiculous. As you said even if you have insurance you are limited to the doctors you can see. Our income has gone way down too over the past 7 years. once we are eligible for SS and pensions it will go up a little. If your old dictor agrees to see you, ask her for a cash discount not to run it thru insurance. many times insurance companies barely pay these doctors anything. So she may prefer cash and eliminate the paperwork. You can always get labs done at one of those cheaoer lab places.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.