Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draperygoddess

Some answers, plus some more questions

Draperygoddess

Saw my doctor today--in addition to an enlarged thyroid, he believes I am having an allergic reaction to dairy, which is causing the swelling in my feet and ankles as well as the breakouts. Blood tests will tell more, but in the meantime he sent me home with pink salt, magnesium and vitamin c supplements and put me on a paleo diet.  I have trouble with nut flours in large amounts and can't eat eggs.  I'm also gluten-free, which rules out some things.  Suggestions for what to eat now?

kooka

Other than heavy cream in my coffee, a bit of butter on occasion  and some hard cheese once in a while I eat little if any dairy on a daily basis. I never use any type of flour for anything. If I need to thicken anything I use ground flax meal. My WOE is fat, beef, chicken, fish, eggs, very lc vegetables, coconut oil and olive oil which I use on veggys with a bit of vinegar. Sorry I can't be of any real help as I am an Atkins gal and don't really know much about other eating plans. So sorry about your other health issues and hopefully they will soon be zapped! :)

Kit

Paleo ins't a whole lot different from what we do other than many don't do dairy and will allow some non processed sugars, such as honey.

90% of my meals consist of meat of some kind of low carb vegetables.  Literally I'll cook up some (like ground pork), then in the drippings left over, cook a mix of vegetables.  Season to preference.  I use butter heavily as my fat of choice, but olive oil or even lards fit in well in the paleo diet.  Would coconut oil give you problems?  if not, it might also be an option.

While I do use nuts as a snack, that could be easily dropped.  I would seriously miss cheese and eggs however.  That would be difficult.  Not so much due to a necessity as that I just really like them and always have.  :)

jwags

Since eggs and dairy are out that makes it more difficult. Paleo is mostly protein and veggies and a little fruit. I would try apples, pears, pumpkin, organic chicken or turkey breast, some ground bison, organic bacon and avacadoes. I usually use nut flours but sometimes use garbanzo bean flour or coconut flour in reciipes. There are thousands of online websites that addres certain diet restrictions. I would just google nut free,,dairy free PALEO diets.

Seagal

Maybe this site would help (paleo & gluten free)?  There are more than 25 sites that can probably help.  I'm glad you are at least narrowing it down!

http://www.paleomazing.com/food-lists-meal-plans/paleo-food-list/

Can you just check out any of the paleo diets and eliminate what you can't eat?

Draperygoddess

Thanks for the feedback! I am compiling a Pinterest board of Paleo/gluten-free/low-carb recipes. Doctor says we get my symptoms under control first, then reintroduce the iodine for my wacky thyroid, and then if my BG isn't under control by February we start investigating autoimmune issues (Type 1 or LADA). At this point I'm just looking forward to feeling better!

Fraser

Fraser

just checking in looking today for your results.

Sorry why are you waiting until February. I hope it is not the insurance issue.

I just feel that one needs to able to feel better.

NoraWI

I'm with Fraser. I would think that the autoimmune issues should take priority to the rest as autoimmunity can cause a slew of symptoms just like the ones you are experiencing. What kind of doctor are you seeing?

samuraiguy

Make a list of foods you can eat. Make a list of recipes that can be made from those foods. Try those recipes with your meter to test to make sure they don't send your BG out of goal range. This may sound like a lot of work, but the it will help you be able to enter a routine where you can eat a wide variety of things that you know aren't making any medical conditions you have worse.

Draperygoddess

I'm with Fraser. I would think that the autoimmune issues should take priority to the rest as autoimmunity can cause a slew of symptoms just like the ones you are experiencing. What kind of doctor are you seeing?

My doctor is an osteopath, and he is taking into account several autoimmune issues that we already know about.  In February he will test for antibodies if my BG hasn't improved.  I have a cyst on my thyroid, which is also enlarged, so we will check that out first.  Also trying to figure out what I"m allergic to--probably the dairy.  It's hard to get an appointment with him quickly, but I can always call if something goes wrong--they're very good about advising over the phone.  Once I get my test results I will contact my regular doctor and see if she will take me without insurance for the time being to monitor. I wanted to see the osteopath because he's good at seeing the big picture and picks up on things others miss. I specifically wanted his advice on my diet because I know he's not going to spout the ADA diet to me.  

JanetP

For what it is worth, I used to think I was lactose intolerant---which not be the same thing as being allergic to dairy and I am curious about your symptoms.  For me going low carb and good probiotics, plus regular use of glutamine and a particular brand of aloe vera juice has resolved many of my problems with it.  Now my diet is very high in dairy in order to get the fat I need.  There are still some things I avoid, but heavy whipping cream, half and half, sour cream, and cheese do not bother me any more. 

It might be something to explore with your osteopath.

jwags

Thyroid problems totally mess with good Bg control. So I agree with getting that under control. but the LADA a issue is totally separate and needs to get investigated. If you have antibodies present in your blood, they don't go away, they just slowly kill off your brta cells.

Draperygoddess

Ah, dairy--we have a checkered past.  Four years ago I had some tests done and found out I was intolerant to gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy.  I have different reactions to different things, gluten being the most severe (three days of misery).  A year later I found out I also had a classic allergy to eggs. If you're lactose intolerant, you're can't break down lactose, the sugar in dairy.  I am casein intolerant, meaning I can't digest the protein in dairy.  Now, I've never had major reactions to dairy, and if you look at that list, it's pretty daunting to drop it all at once.  So I kept yogurt and cheese in moderation and didn't have  a problem.  But in the past several weeks I have been eating a lot of dairy, especially cheese.  And my legs, ankles and feet have been swelling to the point that sometimes I can't get my shoes on.  So it's possible I've developed a new allergy to dairy, or possibly that this is just how my body reacts when I eat a lot of it. Or it could be something else--blood tests will tell. 

As far as LADA goes, I did mention to the doctor that I don't fit the profile for Type 2--not overweight, cholesterol and triglycerides are normal, blood pressure is great, under 50--and I'm sure we will investigate that.  But for now, I have been so incredibly sick and weak, I think he's more concerned with the thyroid than my BG.  He found a cyst on my thyroid three years ago.  If my numbers go up, I will ask for an antibody test.  If they don't, I will see if the diet will turn things around.  I've lost two food groups, so I've got to figure out how to feed myself. ;)

kooka

My legs and feet swell a lot when I eat too much cheese also but from the sodium in the cheese. To much salt overload will do me in every time. I wonder if your edema is from that as opposed to allergies.

Draperygoddess

I suppose that's possible--how much cheese does it take for you to have a reaction?  I was probably eating around 3 oz. a day.

kooka

The sodium count would depend on the cheese. Mild cheddar has 180 mgs. of sodium an ounce and american 250 mgs. an ounce. I eat some kind of mexican cheese and it is way salty so I just eat a tidbit.

Say you eat 3ozs. of the cheddar. That is 21% of the alloted amount for a 2000 calorie diet.Then you have the salt already in the other food you eat plus the salt you shake on at the stove and the table so it adds up. If I ate a dill pickle and 1oz. of cheese I would have edema in the morning. I had it this morning and that was why.

jwags

I never had leg swelling from salt until I was on statins. For some reason the statins caused a reaction and I no longer could handle any cheese or any amount of salt. My legs would look like watermellons. But it wasn't the cheese but the damage from the statins that caused the swelling. So it could be something totally different thst is causing the swelling. Now that I am off statins I eat tons of cheese with no swelling.

Draperygoddess

I'm not a big salt eater--we use kosher salt when cooking, and usually just a very little.  I never salt food at the table. I usually eat sharp cheddar.  Doctor has me taking pink salt now, but I can't get down nearly what he's prescribed.  My legs and feet are still swollen--worse since I had to go grocery shopping yesterday and was on my feet.  I haven't had any dairy since Monday morning, which makes me wonder if I'm reacting to something else.  My feet and ankles have started to itch.

He also started me on magnesium and vitamin c.  Even though I'm only taking a quarter of a dose of the magnesium and 1/8 of the vitamin c, by day two I'm already having stomach issues.  Sigh.  

jwags

When I use salt it is sea salt or the pink Himinlayan salt. Do you wear compression stockings while on your feet? they make a huge difference for me. I get mine online. Leg swelling can also be a sign of heart problems, so definitely have your doctor check everything. I take magnesium too.

Draperygoddess

He has me on pink salt, magnesium and vitamin c. The swelling has been better since I stopped nuts and dairy, but the backs of my ankles are still puffy.  No stockings yet.  He did listen to my heart and breathing, and of course blood tests are still forthcoming.  My blood pressure is normal, but my heart rate is fast. I have never have any issues with my heart, and my sodium level is usually low. 

jwags

When I had terrible leg and ankle swelling my BP was very low but my heart rate was over 100 most of the time. For me it was the Statin that was causing the problem.

kooka

My feet, ankles and legs are swollen this morning because I ran around to much yesterday without resting and propping my feet up for a while in between.

kooka

Kosher salt is salt. It's just blessed by the Rabbi. The salt, the packaging and the people who run the machine are all blessed. The Rabbi used to come to a place I worked and bless various machines running Kosher labels like Kosher Crisco. Most allergies cause hives along with swelling. Do you ever get  hives since you are allergic to almost everything?

Draperygoddess

The only time I have ever had hives was a reaction to Sulfa in my 30's.  I have asthma, though it rarely bothers me anymore, and as a child I would start wheezing when my allergies acted up.  I had the standard sneezing, coughing, yucky respiratory stuff.  I didn't develop food allergies until I was an adult.  I discovered I was intolerant to gluten, dairy, eggs, and soy (Ig-A reactions) at 40.  I was diagnosed with an egg allergy (Ig-E) at 41. I have different reactions to different things: gluten upsets my stomach, soy makes my head break out, eggs can make me feel nauseated, amaranth makes me violently ill, oats seem to swell up once I eat them. Last week I started getting short of breath and itchy after eating nuts. So although I've never had the swelling before, it does seem to have gotten better after cutting those things out.  Of course, the thyroid issue may also be contributing to all this.  My doctor believes it's an autoimmune reaction (not surprising, since I have several autoimmune disorders and they tend to come in bunches). I have an ultrasound Thursday morning.  Hoping that that and the blood tests give me some answers. 

Reading over this, I realize I sound like either A. a hypochondriac, B. desperate for attention, or C. a walking encyclopedia of bizarre health issues.  I promise I was perfectly fine until 6 weeks ago!  When I went to my doctor a couple of years ago to try to figure out why my stomach was upset all the time, she told me, "You're too healthy to be this sick!" I've had my allergies, intolerances, thyroid issues, and disc problems under control for several years. I don't even think about the things I can't eat anymore, I've gotten so used to it.  

synger

Kosher salt is salt. It's just blessed by the Rabbi. The salt, the packaging and the people who run the machine are all blessed. The Rabbi used to come to a place I worked and bless various machines running Kosher labels like Kosher Crisco. Most allergies cause hives along with swelling. Do you ever get  hives since you are allergic to almost everything?

There's two ways of describing "kosher salt."  One is salt that has been kosher certified -- created in accordance with kosher dietary laws and inspected by a certified Kosher authority.    I think that's what you're thinking of.

There's also salt that is a larger grain, usually not iodized, kinda flat, that is used for koshering meat (table salt grains are too fine and would oversalt the meat before drawing out the blood).  That's the kind most chefs are talking about when they say "kosher salt."  It's just a larger-grained salt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.