Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kooka

Once again LC and LF debate

jwags

If I didn't have diabetes I would prefer a vegan diet with lots of healthy high fiber carbs. But I don't have that choice. I know all carb raise my bgs and they stay high for 3-4 hours and sometimes never drop to normal. So I don't have a choice.

ronmesnard

Thanks!  The end of the article was interesting.  What will the public do with this information?  Eat less carbs is very vague.  I think they don't know what we should eat or the experts are equally divided.  Politics at it best!  We are entering a time where ivory tower mandates are no longer acceptable.  You need good studies to back up a directive now.  

notme

I have eaten both ways. My BMI when eating moderate carb was 26.2. My cholesterol was very high. My blood pressure was high and controlled by two medications.I felt uncomfortable in my skin and clothes. I then went low carb two years ago. My BMI is 20.8. My blood pressure is low, controlled by medication that I may have to be taken off. My cholesterol is in the acceptable range with no medications and I feel comfortable in my skin and clothes.

There will always be dissenters. I was one of them. We were educated for years that we needed carbs so, it is hard to just take that back and admit we were educated wrong. It was hard for me to accept that eating the foods that I had been told I should eat, was bad for me. My endocrinologist did not like the idea of my going low carb. Today he says, "just keep doing whatever it is you are doing". I am sure if I see a cardiologist he will cringe at my diet.

We all have to make our own decisions. We will be admonished if we make a non mainstream choice. I wouldn't dream of telling someone they are making the wrong choice. I can only tell you that for me, I am sure, I have made the right choice.

There will be lots of articles and nay sayers for eating low carb. There will be equally as many nay sayers for eating a "balanced" diet. We just have to give both diets an honest try and see what works for us. We are all very different.

samuraiguy

No debate, as I mentioned in an earlier post Americans don't eat according to any guidelines now according to the USDA--basically they eat more calories of everything across the board except only half the recommended amount of fruit (if they're getting excessive carbs, apparently it's not from fruit) and veggies. Before we get to a debate over low carb versus low fat we have to get people to eat less of everything because despite the push for lower fat products over the past 30 years over 80% of Americans still eat higher than recommended amounts of both good and bad fats. In essence, as notme mentioned above, as a society we are not giving either way of eating an honest try. There is also an activity component that can't be left out. The CDC recommends a meager 150 minutes exercise a week, but again it is estimated less than 20% of Americans meet that goal.

OldTech

I think that is the consumption of excess carbs is at the problem. I define excess carbs relative to the first phase insulin release. If you eat more that your first phase insulin release, then you will see a spike in blood glucose after a meal and that is the start of the process towards metabolic disease. Of course, this process takes years if not decades. During the early years, it is the spike in insulin resulting from excess carbs that cause vascular damage and this occurs long before glucose becomes a problem.

I also think that it is the first phase insulin response that explains why some of us can eat more carbs than others. Mine is less than 10 carbs now, but that may also have something to do with ketosis and physiological insulin resistance. 

Adding excess calories to excess carbs is a particularly bad combination. I have often thought long before I was diagnosed that food has simply become to delightful during my lifetime, When I was growing up we had bland meals compared to today. It was just boring - meat, potatoes, bread, gravy, milk, and a desert (all homemade) and I never knew anyone that was obese! That has only occurred in the last 20 years.

kooka

I believe we did eat way to many simple carbs when I was growing up. I don't ever recall hearing about complex carbs, simple carbs or high grain. We just ate what was on the table and as a young wife and mother cooked what we could afford without any thought to nutritional values etc.  My family doctor is an Atkins advocate for weight loss and diabetes as well. My cardiologist, however, would like me to have 2 TBS. of non-saturated oil a day and make my main protein choice fish, chicken or beans and eat only low fat or non fat dressings or sauces.

OldTech

I believe we did eat way to many simple carbs when I was growing up. I don't ever recall hearing about complex carbs, simple carbs or high grain. We just ate what was on the table and as a young wife and mother cooked what we could afford without any thought to nutritional values etc.  My family doctor is an Atkins advocate for weight loss and diabetes as well. My cardiologist, however, would like me to have 2 TBS. of non-saturated oil a day and make my main protein choice fish, chicken or beans and eat only low fat or non fat dressings or sauces.

We did too, but little to no vegetable oils, and if anyone said they exercised without doing real work they were considered crazy, or if they went to the gym they were considered part of the bad crowd along with those who went to bars and pool halls. 

inglucerant

I don't think there's any debate about raising your BG levels over 140. And for me, there's no debate about what does that. Two months ago, I had a single bagel, and one hour later, my BG was 147. This morning, I had a chorizo omelette with avocado and sour cream. One hour later, my BG was 78.

kooka

We had lard. Lard in everything and fresh country butter. We did work though. Oh yes doing the wash on a wringer washer, hanging it on the line and then ironing all of it including jeans. That was our exercise. LOL  Inglu bread is the devil. hahahahahaha For me anyways.

jwags

We ate plenty of carbs growing up because we had a large family and pasta, rice and potatoes was cheap. I think when we first got married we lived on Tuna noodle casserole and Mac and cheese or Ramen. I am the only one of 6 kids that got diabetes. So I really think it depends on whether you can process the carbs or not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.