Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Draperygoddess

Coconut milk brands--is there a difference?

Draperygoddess

I have been experimenting with different recipes using coconut milk (canned, full-fat), and I just can't get past the taste.  Is there a difference in brands as far as taste?  The only way I can handle it is if it's a recipe with cocoa--seems to cover it up a bit.  Should a try a different brand? (I used A Taste of Thai brand.)

jwags

I usually try to find the lowest carb ones. We often get the Traders Joe's brand. I like the taste and use it in a lot of soups. I know with the coconut oil you need to get the refined ones if you don't want the coconut taste.

Moonpie

I use the "so delicious" brand, it is in a carton, on the shelf near the almond milks. I think it is a lot less coconutty than the canned ones. I also like it, as it is shelf stable until opened.

eta: if you try it, look for the unsweetened one.

kooka

I buy mine in a carton. Blue Diamond sugar free has 1 carb for 8ozs. and Silk sugar free has no carbs. Neither tastes much like coconut which is good because I have never liked the taste coconut.

Draperygoddess

I do have the So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, which is good when you need that consistency.  But most recipes call for the canned coconut milk because it's thicker.  I don't know if it's possible to cook the coconut milk down enough to get a custard consistency.  

Moonpie

I use the carton  coconut milk in curry dishes which call for coconut milk, & it works fine. I use it because it is what I have on hand.

jwags

I use the stuff in the carton for smoothies but it is watered down canned coconut milk. So if I am making a cream soup I have to use a thickener, I also like to use coconut cream in recipes, it is super thick and has all the benefits of coconut oil.

synger

Canned coconut milk is much thicker than the coconut milk in the dairy section.  It's like regular milk vs evaporated milk.  I pretty much only use canned coconut milk in curries and smoothies, because it definitely tastes more like coconut than the dairy-case coconut milk.

Moonpie

I grew up eating more Indian based curries rather than the more coconutty ones of other parts of Asia, maybe that is why I don't feel the need for a coconut taste in my curries. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.