Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theceej69

Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor

theceej69

My son is 17, diagnosed 2 years ago with Type 1.   This past week we did a trial of the Dexcom 4 Continuous Glucose Monitor.  He is extremely active: has weight training, does speed training three times a week and plays 2-4 hours of basketball a day.   It stayed on a total of 5 days.  Even with wrapping it while he played basketball.  I am wondering if any of your have found a place or way to keep these on for at least a w eek.  We'd love to have him get a permanent one, but not if they only last five days or less.   Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

TommyC1

I use a 4"x4" Tegaderm patch cut out for the sensor/transmitter. That generally keeps them on for 2 - 3 weeks. But I am not nearly as active as your son.

A few weeks ago I was sweating a lot and the Tegaderm came up in the first week, fortuately before the sensor did. I was able to cut away the loosened Tegaderm and put another patch on. That held for two more weeks.

If you have not been there, there is a very good Facebook page on the Dexom. Not company sponsored. Much of the discussion there is how to keep the Dex on the kid.

When I get the chance I will get the name of the page and post it here.

Good luck!

GrammaBear

I use the Dexcom G4 system and before I insert a 'sensor' I use the following product.  It is a barrier wipe to protect the skin from irritation from sweating and other aggravations.  I wipe it on my skin, let it dry a bit, insert the sensor and 'then' take the barrier wipe and wipe the white adhesive of the Dexcom sensor again.  It sort of seals the edges from lifting up again.  I am not active like your son, but I've currently been wearing my Dexcom sensor for 16 days.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=3m+cavilon+wipes

There are other brands of this type of skin protectant that may be more suitable for you.

mom24grlz

Ashleigh is on the G4 what she does is takes liquid skin tac, paints it on the white sticky part of the insertion device. Lets it dry a little. Inserts the sensor, then places a 4" tegaderm film over top of the sensor. It is advised that you cut a hole out for the transmitter. But i don't think Ashleigh does that, and so far we've had no issues with the film being directly over top of the transmitter.  Ashleigh's sensor usually stays in for 10-14 days. (sometimes longer)

theceej69

Thank you all for the advice  I will definitely look into the tegaderm to see if that will help it stay on.  He really likes seeing what his "numbers" are doing and it kept him in range all week even with all the extra exercise and activity of getting ready for the basketball season.   

Dreamousdoc

I have found that a product called skin tac works great. I brush it on the cloth part that sticks on and it's like super glue. Also I've found I can use the sensor longer than a week by stopping it and restarting the same sensor without removing it. When it starts to not work so well I change it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.