Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

funkynassau

Daughter has GD

funkynassau

My daughter is about 8 mos pregnant and was diagnosed with GD about a month ago.  She was told to eat everything but in moderation.  Is this good advice?  I have t2 and I dont know about the pregnancy aspect of handling diabetes.  She eats well, I've cautioned her about carbs, and she says she can't get a handle on things.  She declined to tell me her bg level, so I assume it's not good.  She has a baby of 1.5 yrs old so she keeps her hopping, plus she's got an active job.  She thinks she gets a fair bit of exercise.

She has been told she may need insulin but she doesnt want to do that if she doesnt need to.  Baby is due the end of Nov.

What can I tell her to help her?  She is not on meds.  What meds can a pregnant woman take?

Thanks

JuliaDay2013

Never had GD, so I can't comment on that. But I feel like there's probably a bit of resistance from her going on about numbers & diet.

Anyway, congrats on getting another grandbaby. Those sweeties dearly love their grandparents.

macksvicky

I never had that problem, but I have heard from many that have and did use insulin with no problems. Maybe she fears insulin (like most of us) until you actually use it then wonder "what was I so afraid of" I can't see how a lower carb diet would be unhealthy for her though. Best wishes to her and the baby and congrats for a soon to be new grandbaby :)

kooka

My daughter-in-law had that and she just watched her carbs sticking to whole grains and tested once a day. Everything was fine. Sometimes though the babe can be large. Later in life the mother is prone to get type 2 when this happens. If she is hiding her BGs they must be high. She is almost due though and my girl got it in her 5th. month.

jwags

I had 6 full pregnancies and was never GD . They usually have stricter BG guidlines than type 2's. I would just tell her to listen to her doctor and do what she says. I guess too high bgs can contribute to too big babies, which can be dangerous.

funkynassau

She knows that diabetes can lead to big babies and her doc knows our family history of it, so they've been watching her.  Nobody ever checked me when pregnant and she was 9 lbs 7 orz 2 days early and son was 9 lbs 6 ozs and 3 weeks early!  Only after he was born did anyone ask me if I was checked for GD.  I said nope.

Yes we understand she needs to eat well and she's been doing that but trying to hold back on the carbs.  So far it's not working for her.  I did tell her insulin is not as scary as she thinks, and I am a HUGE wimp and she knows it, so for me to say that was amazing to her!

adiantum

I had GD many years ago & those days I had no idea what that meant.

Every visit to the doctor I used to take a urine specimen & one day he said " you have diabetes".

That meant nothing to me so I continued eating as per usual.

Baby was born 8lbs 2oz & was fine.

jwags

I think the reason they often recommend insulin is that they want them to eat a balanced diet for the health of the bsby. I don't think a doctor would recommend LC for a pregnant woman.

funkynassau

An update.  Daughter was told she may be put on insulin and today she had to see FOUR medical people.  Insulin was not first choice as her numbers were not consistently too high.  In the end she was put on Metformin.  I warned her it may cause diarrhoea and she said she was told that.  As I had no trouble with met maybe she will be as lucky.  Then she tells me the doc said if she wasn't tolerating it by the wkend they'd take her off of it but not that she'd be put on anything else.  She has 3-4 weeks to go before baby is born.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.