Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TX_Clint

For those concerned about Bacon causing cancer or flying pigs.

TX_Clint

http://nypost.com/2015/11/01/bacon-causes-cancer-when-pigs-fly/

An excerpt from the article says "Dr. Elizabeth Lund, a widely quoted expert in nutrition (she is a former research leader at the Institute of Food Research), says the actual risk is even smaller than that — three more people out of every 100,000 will get cancer due to their consumption of red meat."

Wow that's 5 times more likely to kill you than getting hit by lightening. 

davef

The big problem with flying pigs is .... catching them so you can eat them. I'm off to renew my PETA membership, I'm a strong supported of People Eating Tasty Animals ;)

jwags

I read a nutrition blog last week that said the WHO study that promotes this report was just a questionaire about what types of meat people are the past year and the cancers they had. It didn't ask about what other things they ate,mexercise, smoking, etc. So the results are very questionable.

Moonpie

I plan on continue eating bacon, they are always on about something. Right now we eat it once or twice a week, every Sunday breakfast at a minimum.

JohnSchroeder

I read a nutrition blog last week that said the WHO study that promotes this report was just a questionaire about what types of meat people are the past year and the cancers they had. It didn't ask about what other things they ate,mexercise, smoking, etc. So the results are very questionable.

That's awesome!  Could you link that?

Harold

The ethical people want us to stop eating meat. Not taking into account those animals would never have any life at all if it was not for meat eaters.

OldTech

And if you are worried about the nitrates in the bacon, you should also be worried about the nitrates in vegetables. From Wikipedia: At the current allowed levels nitrates in processed meats it is estimated that  "80 to 90% of the nitrite in the average U.S. diet is not from cured meat products but from natural nitrite production from vegetable nitrate intake." So anyone up for a stir fry?

In fact, the nitrates in celery is high enough that it can be used to cure bacon. Uncured bacon is often processed with celery powder and then labeled "no sodium nitrate added".

adiantum

yet I get allergy symptoms  if I regularly eat bacon, like sore throat & swollen lip.

I can only eat bacon infrequently

And if you are worried about the nitrates in the bacon, you should also be worried about the nitrates in vegetables. From Wikipedia: At the current allowed levels nitrates in processed meats it is estimated that  "80 to 90% of the nitrite in the average U.S. diet is not from cured meat products but from natural nitrite production from vegetable nitrate intake." So anyone up for a stir fry?

In fact, the nitrates in celery is high enough that it can be used to cure bacon. Uncured bacon is often processed with celery powder and then labeled "no sodium nitrate added".

Moonpie

It might be something in the brand of bacon you get, around here, the celery powder cured bacon costs more & is usually organic, which raises the price even more. I have had it & love it, but can't afford it every shop.

Snow Goose

I bought some Turkey Bacon last week for the first time. Figured it would help me out. OMG that vile stuff smelled bad and tasted worst.

Back to regular Bacon. :)

Gladtobehere

Yeah . Forget about all the fake (supposed to be healthy) bacon that cost 2-3x what real bacon cost.    Bacon needs to be 25% salt and 75% pork fat cooked crispy (many consider it burnt) for a good BLT.    But don't forget the other bacon often referred to as Canadian bacon which has plenty o salt but is very lean. (Mainly meat)

Remember "More processing = Less healthy"

CandaceV

Too late!  Oscar Meyer bacon was on sale at Kroger last week for $3.99/lb.  I bought 8 lbs. and put it in the freezer.  :)

Even if bacon put me in the hospital with 900+ BG's, I would not stop.  Ever.  Death by Bacon.  What a way to go.

I eat bacon, pork chops and the occasional ground beef.  I eat no other meats. 

Kit

I am such a pork fanatic, always have been.  Country ribs, pork shoulders, bacon, sausage, pork steak, pork liver.  *drool*

Gladtobehere

Too late!  Oscar Meyer bacon was on sale at Kroger last week for $3.99/lb.  I bought 8 lbs. and put it in the freezer.  :)

Even if bacon put me in the hospital with 900+ BG's, I would not stop.  Ever.  Death by Bacon.  What a way to go.

I eat bacon, pork chops and the occasional ground beef.  I eat no other meats. 

Death by bacon conjures an image (in my warped mind) of a coffin that slides right out of the grave when you toss it in.    Sorry ,I don,t mean to devalue this thread.

leosmith

As with any delicious food, there are plenty of reasons to avoid eating too much bacon, and cancer might be the weakest. Some other reasons off the top of my head:

1) high in omega 6

2) high in saturated fat

3) high in salt

These reasons might not affect you. Personally, I love it and will eat it on special occasions, but it's not in my weekly diet anymore.

JuliaDay2013

Sadly, I can no longer eat pork at all. I love bacon, sausage, ham.....just not the stomach problems that follow. The only meat I've been able to stomach lately is a few bites of chicken.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.