Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScoobySteve

Low Carb Tortillas. Are They Really?

ScoobySteve

So I bought a package of Mission brand low carb tortillas.  I love tortillas and used to eat three to four a meal.   I have quit eating them altogether.  Today I saw the package which reads 6 net carbs.  Reading the back of the package there are 19G carbs.  This is much better than the 30 in the "regular" tortillas.  The package also claims 13G fiber and after subtraction there is only 6G carbs.  Is there any truth to this?  Is this going to be like the Avacado where it is ok or is this gonna be bad?

Anyone's experience with this could prove helpful.  

On that note, what is everyone's goal for total carbs per day?

Fraser

My rule of thumb is that if it seems to be good to be true, it most likely is not.

But worth a try, we are all different, but keep your meter handy. ;-)

Just the read the entire post. This is no avacado

Bishop

I think you'll just have to try and see.  Not just because "everyone is different" but also because I think even as individuals, we change over time, or even via different brands (and perhaps batches) with the exact same nutritional information.  I've seen this time and time again with various recipes I've tried.

Personally, I currently seem to be okay with 20-30g of net carbs with tortillas but that too seemed to vary with what I put inside, even with different proteins - beef vs. chicken vs. pork vs. turkey and a new sofritas rip-off I'm trying from Chipotle - various cheeses, and so on.

One way I've sidestepped the tortilla is to use a thin egg omelette with a ton of cheese and crisp that up quite a bit, but stop short of burning.  Still needs to be flexible.  Same shape, size, and close enough in texture for me, plus I love eggs and they seem to be fine for me so far.  I let that cool off a wee bit and roll up some stuffing and I'm set.  I even make a cheese quesadilla of sorts with this substitute and my wife loves it.  It's too wimpy to hand hold and if your love for tortillas is deep, this won't work, but thought I'd bring it up as an option.

kooka

I try and keep my carbs to 20 grams. or less a day. I eat these but only half of one. I char them on the stove eye to get a grill mark on both sides. I use them for wraps. I also cut them up and bake for 20 minutes or so to make crackers. They have never affected my sugar.

samuraiguy

Find out if the fiber is soluble or insoluble; insoluble passes through the body undigested, but some of soluble may be digested at a slower rate so you may want to subtract half the fiber grams. In any event test at 1 and 2 hour PP and maybe 3 hours to see if the fiber is just slowing a possible spike.

Oriana

you can try a corn tortillia that has 12 g total carbs i dont know about net. just make sure to heat corn torillias up or they are gross and break

rfrankr

So I bought a package of Mission brand low carb tortillas. I love tortillas and used to eat three to four a meal. I have quit eating them altogether. Today I saw the package which reads 6 net carbs. Reading the back of the package there are 19G carbs. This is much better than the 30 in the "regular" tortillas. The package also claims 13G fiber and after subtraction there is only 6G carbs. Is there any truth to this? Is this going to be like the Avacado where it is ok or is this gonna be bad?

Anyone's experience with this could prove helpful.

On that note, what is everyone's goal for total carbs per day?

I think I use the same tortillas and they work great for me. But I'm a lot more lenient on carbs than many of you are. I get little or no spike. I wouldn't really even call it a spike. YMMV so test test test

ran23

thanks to this thread, I spent some time going though all the Mission packages until I found them.  Trying wraps of chicken and cheese. 

kayell

Is it this one? http://www.missionmenus.com/en/products/view/carb-balance-flour-tortilla

Ingredients
Water, Modified Food Starch, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vital Wheat Gluten, Powdered Cellulose, Vegetable Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Palm Oil), Wheat Protein Isolate (Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Sulfite), and contains 2% or less of: Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate), Cellulose Gum, Preservatives (Calcium Propionate, Sorbic Acid), Distilled Monoglycerides, Enzymes, Wheat Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Antioxidants (Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid), Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sucralose, Canola Oil, Triglycerides, Dough Conditioners (Fumaric Acid, Sodium Metabisulfite and/or Mono- and Diglycerides)

Personally I wouldn't even bother eating and testing because low carb or not it falls too far outside of the category of food to consider. 

TX_Clint

I buy 3 net carb tortillas but can only handle one. The wife has no issues with them but of course she isn't diabetic, just trying to lose weight. It works for a lunch meat wrap but I actually prefer lettuce.

Java

i really like the mission flour tortillas but for me, my BG will rise at least 1 point per carb listed

the "net carbs" don't mean diddly to my BG, apparently

so i can eat them, but knowing it's gonna push me up at least 19 if not a few more

notme

I eat Mission "low carb" tortillas. I also bolus for about 15 carbs. I have never been able to reduce my carb count because of fiber.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.