Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HistoryMan

Hello. Concerned I might be pre-diabetic.

HistoryMan

Hello! I am brand new here.  My name is Chris.

I am here because a regular health screening at my work resulted in a blood glucose level of 101 (I had fasted for 12 hours.)

This concerned me and I talked with a co-worker who is diabetic (she got gestational diabetes and it never went away) who suggested I get a home monitor and test, which I have.

I purchased the Bayer Contour Next meter.  I have also greatly improved my diet (mostly low carb) and exercise program, exercising usually 4 times a week for 30-60 min.  I have also lost 15 lbs, down to 210 from 225.  I am a 34 year old man, 6' tall.

The results of my screening: total cholesterol 152, triglycerides 63, HDL 59, LDL 13. (all was well within the good range)

I have since then been testing twice a day.  My fasting glucose seems to be steady around 85 and 2-3 hours postprandial has been at a highest 106, except for today.

Today I ate a higher carb meal and got 121 1:00 hour postprandial and 115 2:00 hours postprandial.

I can seem to tell when my blood sugar is higher as I feel jittery or "keyed up."

I am concerned I either might be already or might be becoming pre-diabetic.  To my knowledge, only my uncle has T2 diabetes that he was diagnosed a few years back with (he's in his mid 60s.)

For me exercise seems to make a big difference. I ate almost the same meal yesterday and was 94 1:00 hour postprandial. 

Three years ago a random blood sugar test read 84.

I appreciate your patience with my long post, but I am seeking any advice you might have.  My BG did not hit 140+ at the 1:00 hour check, but I am still concerned.  Am I correct to be concerned or am I over-reacting? Could I have impaired second phase insulin response?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Jody

Sounds pretty normal to me. You might want to do another between the 1 and 2 hour mark - at 90 minutes.  You may have been on the way up at 1 hr and almost back down by 2 hrs - of course, that means you're coming down fast, which is good.  I think if you do have some issues, you are at the very early stage.  You could always save yourself the ambiguity and just ask for an A1C test.  That will tell you if you need to change your diet.  I had a fasting at 102 and my A1C was in the prediabetic range.  But I was able to see that after high carb meals I would easily go into the 160's-180's ... but I also test more than 1 and 2 hour mark.

predb4

welcome

well some foods have a second spike at 3 hours, usually carbs, but you can experiment a bit to see if you have later spikes.

there are two types of blood sugar goals:

1- the daily fbg and pps, etc... which you seem to be doing correctly.

2. the other goal is the monitoring of you hba1c levels, which should preferablly remain below 6.  Prediabetes is 5.6-6.4 and it is a weighted average of your blood sugar over 2-3 months.

this test is usually done at the lab, but there are home meters that you can buy from amazon or walmort.

Bishop

"Today I ate a higher carb meal and got 121 1:00 hour postprandial and 115 2:00 hours postprandial."

Do you happen to know what "higher carb" here is?  These days, I consider 50g a lot of carbs in one sitting, but it's crystal clear that there are many "normal people" who can do hundreds of grams of carbs and never go over 120 in terms of 15, 30, 60, 120, 180 minute PP readings.  Wonder what a more controlled OGTT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_tolerance_test) would show.  All kinds of opinions there too.

That said, I second the recommendation to just get an A1C test - easy to do, and a bit more hardened against random readings and such given that it's a weighted average vs. a more point-in-time reading.  There are still open issues with A1C readings (various conditions that would give a somewhat false high or low) - but it's one of the more common diagnostic measurements in these circles.  =)

samuraiguy

Request an A1C test, there are so many things that can affect a meter BG test I wouldn't self diagnose unless I had a week's worth of readings in the elevated range, i.e. a FBG over 100 a whole week.

jwags

Is your LDL really 13, that is abnormally low. I would guess you are on Statins. Statins are known to raise blood sugar over time and push people into diabetes. Your bgs look pretty normal to me now but keep an eye on that. The jittery feeling is probably from your pancreas overproducing insulin. So all the insulin kicks in at one and crashes. The speed of the crash sometimes causes that feeling. A nonndiabetic can eat a carby meal and be back to 85 in two hours because their insulin works correctly. As you develop diabetes your insulin response becomes slower.

HistoryMan

Thank you everyone for responding. I really appreciate all of your responses.

An update: my HDL was 59, VLDL 13, LDL 80, and Triglycerides at 63. Total cholesterol 152.  I was wrong and I didn't mean to be confusing.  No I'm not on statins, yet.

What really concerned me this morning is I ate what had to be close to a "regular" i.e. close to the suggested serving size, bowl of steel cut oats, with almond milk, no sugar/sweetner or fruit.  I checked my BS 1:00 post and discovered it was 160! I'd eaten oatmeal several times a week thinking it was ok, but on the suggestion of others on here tested myself afterwards to discover if it really had an effect on me and if so, how much.  From what I read, 160 1:00 post is a pre-diabetic level.

Needless to say, this freaked me out a bit, but has taught me that it appears oatmeal is on my no-go list of foods, (at least without an hour's walk afterwards planned) as I see several other people around here have said as well.

I plan on making an appointment with one of the local endocronologists tomorrow after work to get some official diagnostic info.

Thank you again!

adiantum

I'm not sure I'd rush into getting a diagnosis. It can make a difference to your emloyment or  insurances.

I'd rather simply follow a low carb diet & maintating a good activity level.

I shudder at you saying  your not on statins yet.............. avoid them like the plague !!!

HistoryMan

You raise a good point Adiantum.  I'll have to ask my co-worker if it affected her pre and post diagnosis.

I don't know anything really about statins, but I'll certainly remember that if it's ever suggested to me!

jwags

On an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) a level of 200 is considered diabetic. But that is after 75 grams of a pure glucose drink. As diabetics we are asked to be at 100'or under for a fasting bg and 120-140 , 2 hours after a meal. So if you are 160,your insulin response may be starting to be dysfunctional. Before Diabetes I ate steele cut oats every day, thinking they were healthy. I was so shocked when I found out my fasting was 242 the next day after esting steele cut oats. a lot of healthy csrbs may not be healthy for those with Insulin resistance or diabetes. I would get checked by your doctor and ask for a OGTT test with insulin levels.

ronmesnard

I concur with samuriguy.  You may find that your A1c is below 5.7 (the bottom for prediabetes).  From a scientific perspective 5.5 is more accurate bottom for pre diabetes. In other words don't believe you are fine if your A1c is 5.6 even if your Dr tells you not to worry because you are fine.  You are not.  Anyone with a fasting BG above 92 has a elevated risk factor. 92 - 100 has a 10% greater risk than 80-92.   If you want conformation that you are becoming insulin resistant you should ask for a blood insulin test.  You may find  your insulin is higher than normal.  If this is the case you are firmly on the road to diabetes.  A rise in insulin concentration is the first solid sign you are on a bad road.  That and a less than perfect glucose tolerance test are the earliest warnings you can get.  I prefer the insulin test because it is more telling for the earliest stage of the disease.  Your insulin will continue to increase even before your A1c shows much slippage.  It is when you max out your insulin that your A1c starts to rise and organ damage begins to occur.   

The best news is you have caught this 'problem' at the start.  Diabetes is very much like a snowball rolling down a mountain.  Some of us get diagnosed when the snowball is bigger than a house.  We are totally SCREWED.  For you it is just a snowball you can easily crush.  There is no need to be more than a bit concerned.  Almost any positive action you take will stop the process.  If you are taking blood pressure medicine you should be on ACE inhibitor, ARBs or a beta blocker.  I ordered them by which is best.  You want to take them at night.  This will not help a diabetic because the effect is tiny but you might consider it if you are taking BP meds or have a BP 120/90 or higher.  A few months ago 150 was a good number now even 120 is not.

Some info on BP meds

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20150923/taking-blood-pressure-drugs-at-night-may-help-prevent-type-2-diabetes

http://consumer.healthday.com/circulatory-system-information-7/blood-pressure-news-70/taking-blood-pressure-drugs-at-night-might-prevent-type-2-diabetes-703550.html

If you are not excising, exercise some.  Don't eat snacks after dinner.  Don't pig out.  I wouldn't avoid sweets you need to be more concerned with your total carb intake for a meal.  Bread is about as bad for you as table sugar there are some potatoes and rice that are almost twice as bad as table sugar.  Too many carbs is what I meant by pigging out.  If you do pig out check your blood 2 hrs after the meal.  

They believe this earliest stage the most damage occurs while you sleep.  Tiny changes that effect your blood sugar while you sleep matter.  Have a yearly A1c test and an insulin test if your insulin was higher than expected. I wouldn't do much more unless your tests next year show you are going in the wrong direction.  

Because you are concerned, smart enough to join this group and were caught so early I believe you have 0% chance of becoming a diabetic.  

HistoryMan

Thank you everyone, particularly ronmesnard.

I started exercising before I knew anything is or might be going on and am now approaching 20 lbs down from my original weight.  I exercise 4 times a week for about an hour each time.  I've also started taking cinnamon with meals (1 500 mg tablet), figuring it can't hurt at that low level and may very well help.  Tonight my BG was 105 1 hour PP after meal of approximately 25-30 carbs. 

I am now going through the process of going to my PCP to get a referral to an endocrinologist.   

I appreciate all of your response and now I will continue to wait and monitor for my doc appointment.

Thank you!

PS- Interesting info regarding those BP meds.  It almost seems like they are a strong preventative measure for T2 DB.  Perhaps an avenue of prevention in the future.

jwags

Most of us just use Primary care doctors unless we have other difficulties. Most Endos really don't deal with pre diabetics unless your have thyroid or adrenal problems also. I have been D for 9 years and I will see an Endo for the first time next week. The only reason I am going is because my HbA1 c won't go lower than 6.6 and I now have diabetic retinopathy and macukar edema.

Robb15

An interesting series of articles that may shed more light on how we build up to type 2 diabetes.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/09/its-the-insulin-1.html

I'm in the middle of reading this blog article but had to come back here and thank you for posting that.  This is probably the best most insightful article I've read on the subject of carb intolerance.  

leosmith

What really concerned me this morning is I ate what had to be close to a "regular" i.e. close to the suggested serving size, bowl of steel cut oats, with almond milk, no sugar/sweetner or fruit.  I checked my BS 1:00 post and discovered it was 160! 

This may sound dumb, but are you sure you washed your hands really well, especially the finger you took blood from? I got a really high reading after eating an orange once. I washed my hands, but they still reeked of orange. I washed the specific finger again and the count went down by about 40 points :)

I agree with the advice about getting an A1C, but here is a procedure on how to test yourself, in case you haven't seen it:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php

ronmesnard

Good work history man!

I always think an endo is the way to go at least for a sanity check.  Go with as much information such as what meds you are on all your blood tests for your pre-D and your meter.  They will download your meter.  Come to them with a plan and your reasoning about your plan.  The endo will take the kinks out of your plan and correct any misconceptions you might have.  As a very early case you can avoid the big D.  Drs like to treat some happy endings.  It makes them feel good.  

The BP meds likely are most effective in a early case such as yours.  I do know someone that was pre d when you needed to be above 6 to get that rating.  She really didn't do anything very positive except for the BP meds.  I thought her Dr was a quack.  I am pleased to learn I was the one that was wrong.  She never progressed and her A1c slowly retreated.  I would not go so far as to say how strong BP meds are in the fight against D.  The long term test started with normal patients.  The BP experiment was for something else.  Because the study was huge, it was unlikely the diabetes rate was way below normal due to chance. I suspect the real power is in the very early stages of the disease.  That is why I brought it up since you are very early.

phlaunt.com is a great resource.

Leo, I got 2 readings from the same drop of blood 50 points different.  Sometimes it is the strip.  

testgeek
Hello I hope somebody here on this forum can help me understand 

3 months ago on a yearly blood test exam my fasting blood was 6.1 first time ever 

My doctor told me i am pre diabetic 

I went a month later follow up AIC test and it was 5.1

so my average he said was 5.5 

he then told me i was now only at risk for pre diabetic

It seems he makes up his diagnosis per individual test 

I have been testing for 3 months and went on a low carb diet

It does seem when i have too many carbs i can go up to 9 or even 10 sometimes 

So I decided to try a 3 hour high intake carb test on my own 

I ate 80 or more of carbs my numbers and test times are shown below 

My 2 hour was i believe over the 140 max but 2 1/4 seemed under the mark 

Can you tell me what you see in my numbers because doctor told me he does not care about my own home testing 

High carb = 80 carbs or more 

1-hour = 11 

1/30-hour = 11.2 

1/75-hour = 10.9 

2-hour = 8.8 

2/15-hour = 7.7 

2/30-hour = 7.7 

2/75-hour = 6.8 

3-hour = 5.1 

Your help and thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated 

HistoryMan

Hello everyone. I figured I would not let this thread die a complete death!

Here we are a little over a year from my original post.

I have since the original post adopted a near complete lifestyle shift (fairly low carb and exercise)  and I really think turned my health around in many ways.

I continued my weight loss from 223 originally to about 150 now and am in "maintenance mode."

My blood pressure at this year's same annual physical (that opened my eyes to a potential problem in the first place last year) was 116/76.  Fasting BG was 89 and I finally got an A1C test that came back as 5.3.

I still monitor my blood sugar generally in the morning upon waking up and it's almost always in the 80-95 range.  I now know I can indulge here and there in some carby stuff, as long as I get back on the rails the next day.

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to reply. If I really am on the path towards becoming diabetic, I hope I have greatly slowed down the "snowball."

meyery2k

History - Very well done.  Whether you are preD or not, you have certainly turned things around.  I see so many anecdotes where people cut the carbs back or out and good health results seem to just sort of follow.  I am happy to see that you are one of these anecdotes.

I have been diagnosed as a full blown T2.  Following the advice found here, I have it under very good control.  My numbers are very similar to what you observe.  I lost 90+ pounds of weight in less than 1 year (5'11 from 311 to 215).  I now walk, run, cycle, and swim.  The weight loss did take some work on my part but not nearly as much as I feared it would.  Really the change in diet seemed to be the catalyst for everything else.

My BP was insane 1 year ago.  It was in the "I should send you to the ER range".  My resting heart rate was 120.  My poor heart was working itself to death while I was literally just sitting there.

Now my BP is very well controlled (I still take medicine) and my resting heart rate is usually right around 50.

It is people like you that inspire and encourage people like me.  Thank you for sharing your progress. ~ Mike

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.