Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nobody_special

Stress raising bg. What to do?

nobody_special

So without going into too much detail I recently found out my dad has only a few months to live. This came as a shock and I am having a real hard time with it. I am trying to help my mom through this as well. My numbers went from 120 and steady to 150-200 and jumping all over. My eating habits have not changes just my stress level. I am not sure what to do about it. My doc just wants to throw a bunch of meds down my throat and I don't want that. And it's not like I can just shut off the stress. Mom doesn't drive anymore and I have had to rush dad to the e.r. in the middle of the night a couple times in the last month. Then I have to miss work etc. So what can I do to help control my bg during these trying times?

predb4

three months on rhodiola homeopathic tablets taught me to control stress and anxiety well, it helped  me not to overeact to things and nowadays  I know better to say no to stress, be it in the form of people, unavoidable things etc...

you likely cannot change your father's situation, but if you can help by driving him and your mother to the hospital, help them with household chores and errands, just feel good about yourself for doing your best.  you can also help with planning; wills, funerals, financial situations and property, etc..If you start now it will save you stress in the future.

you can also seek some counseling to help you cope with the grief and prospect of death for a loved one.

Fraser

Because you start taking medications for your bs does not necessarily mean you will be on them for ever.

I have been off meds for four years, so I am not really into taking meds.

Reality is you bs are too high, more than high enough to do damage.

hopefully after the crises is over you can get back into control.

jwags

I would think you may want to discuss increasing your lantus during this hard time. The next few months need to be about your dad and making him comfortable. It is hard when we lose our parents. Both my parents died in the past 2 years. Even though they were elderly I wasn't emotionally ready to let them go.

GrammaBear

I would think you may want to discuss increasing your lantus during this hard time. The next few months need to be about your dad and making him comfortable. It is hard when we lose our parents. Both my parents died in the past 2 years. Even though they were elderly I wasn't emotionally ready to let them go.

I know it is hard to take care of yourself when others in your family need your help a lot.  Just because you may need more medicine or insulin during this stressful time does not mean it will be that way forever.  It is never, ever easy to lose a parent no matter what their age.  Please accept my empathy.  Will be thinking of you.

BookwormBetty

I'm sorry about your father. It's so hard losing a parent. I don't know if it's better or worse when it's unexpected (as when my father died) or anticipated, as in your case. It doesn't matter, really; it's just hard. Please take good care of yourself, even if you do have to increase your meds temporarily. One of my aunts died many years ago of what I've always assumed were issues related to diabetes, just a few years after her husband died of leukemia. He was sick for seven years and through that whole time, she focused on him and his needs to the exclusion of her own health needs. She didn't need to die in her 60s. I'm sure it sounds impossible right now, but please find some way to make regular time for yourself and to focus on your own health as well as on your father's needs.

dowling gram

There's not much you can do about the situation but you can help with your own stress by meditating. When you feel stressed out find a quiet place with a comfortable chair. Sit and try to relax your muscles. Empty your brain. If a stray thought creeps in push it away and tell yourself you are not going to think about that right now. Breathe deeply into the bottom of your lungs. Feel your stomach rise and fall. Concentrate on your breathing and listen to it going in and out. After about 10 minutes you'll feel calmer and more relaxed.

The more you can do for your parents now the better you'll feel after they are gone but don't ignore your own health. It is never easy losing a loved one.

danielneedscontrol

Yes, I agree with naturally upping your meds temporarily to balance the rising bg.  Having lost my grandfather who helped raise me was hard and the guilt of not being there when his sickness got worse had made everything worse for my bg when I was first diagnosed almost a decade ago.  I agree that the most sensible thing to do in this situation is to spend time with your father, make him a priority without any bias and keep in mind that you have to go on taking better care of health so you can move and live the life that your father would of wanted for you.

I also believe that coming to the forum and discussing or to outlet some of your concerns about your health and your current situation should alleviate some of the stress.  I hope you are well and my deepest sympathies and condolences to you and your family.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.