Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4Dogs

Got my One Touch meter working with Windows 10

4Dogs

I have a One Touch Ultra 2, and the One Touch Software and cable.  I'm not sure that the specific versions matter.  After upgrading my computer to Windows 10, I could no longer poll my meter and download the data to send to my Doc.  I think many users have run into this same problem.

Here's the scoop.  If your setup is no longer working to download data, you probably have a problem with either the cable you're using to plug your meter into your computer, or the software drivers are wrong.

Answer #1) First off, let me tell you that I Googled One Touch Software on the Internet, and found a tech support phone number for them.  If you already have an existing cable and software, they'll send you a new one to replace it, that will work with Windows 10, and they told me it was free.  I don't know if it is in all cases.

Answer #2) While I was on the phone with the tech support person, he mentioned that some people had been able to get Windows 10 to work with the old cable.  Hmmm. I did a little checking, and this resolved the problem for me.  Note my existing (5 year old) cable is the kind with a mini plug (looks like a stereo headphone plug) on one end, then a "barrel" piece followed by a rectangular piece, and then another barrel piece, and finally the USB plug on the other end.  What I was able to do was to swap the drivers that came with the 2.3.3 version of the One Touch Software, with an "older" version, which resolved the problem, and now my meter downloads just fine again.

Note, you must have administrative rights to make this change.  You can implement this fix in Windows 10 by going to Control Panel and then right click (so you can choose to be the administrator) on Device Manager.  Find the entry for Ports.  In Ports you should find a "Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port" - probably with a yellow "warning" symbol next to it..  Choose the Driver tab.  Choose the Update Driver button. Say to "Browse my computer for driver software", and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  When you do, a window will open with some drivers listed. You can try each driver, but in my case, I needed to pick the OLDEST driver (dated 2010) for it to work.  Then highlight the driver and choose next.  The driver will install, and when you are shown the driver again, hopefully the warning symbol will be gone.  Save or Next your way back out to your computer desktop.  You should now be good to go and your One Touch Software meter downloads should work..  Good luck.

dowling gram

My meter is low tech and not a one touch. All I need is for my meter to be accurate and to tell me what my blood glucose is. I don't have to be connected to the internet at all. I haven't upgraded to windows 10 yet because I'm waiting until they get all the bugs out.

I can keep track of my readings with a notebook and pen. Low tech works good for me and causes no headaches. I guess that makes me an old duck who thinks computers are good for some things but not everything and I like it that way

4Dogs

Update:  Microsoft just came out with new very large patch for Windows 10.  With previous versions of Windows, a set of patches this large would have been called a service pack. Anyway, installing the patch "updated" my OneTouch driver, so that it didn't work again.  The solution is to re-install the "older" driver again as mentioned above.

Alternatively, the new Windows 10 driver works just fine with the "new" cable, also referenced above.

Jimmyk91

4 Dogs, You the man, and I thank you for this post. I hope to get a new cable but I did you Answer #2, and poof, I am back up and running. Gratefully yours, JimmK91

I have a One Touch Ultra 2, and the One Touch Software and cable.  I'm not sure that the specific versions matter.  After upgrading my computer to Windows 10, I could no longer poll my meter and download the data to send to my Doc.  I think many users have run into this same problem.

Here's the scoop.  If your setup is no longer working to download data, you probably have a problem with either the cable you're using to plug your meter into your computer, or the software drivers are wrong.

Answer #1) First off, let me tell you that I Googled One Touch Software on the Internet, and found a tech support phone number for them.  If you already have an existing cable and software, they'll send you a new one to replace it, that will work with Windows 10, and they told me it was free.  I don't know if it is in all cases.

Answer #2) While I was on the phone with the tech support person, he mentioned that some people had been able to get Windows 10 to work with the old cable.  Hmmm. I did a little checking, and this resolved the problem for me.  Note my existing (5 year old) cable is the kind with a mini plug (looks like a stereo headphone plug) on one end, then a "barrel" piece followed by a rectangular piece, and then another barrel piece, and finally the USB plug on the other end.  What I was able to do was to swap the drivers that came with the 2.3.3 version of the One Touch Software, with an "older" version, which resolved the problem, and now my meter downloads just fine again.

Note, you must have administrative rights to make this change.  You can implement this fix in Windows 10 by going to Control Panel and then right click (so you can choose to be the administrator) on Device Manager.  Find the entry for Ports.  In Ports you should find a "Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port" - probably with a yellow "warning" symbol next to it..  Choose the Driver tab.  Choose the Update Driver button. Say to "Browse my computer for driver software", and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".  When you do, a window will open with some drivers listed. You can try each driver, but in my case, I needed to pick the OLDEST driver (dated 2010) for it to work.  Then highlight the driver and choose next.  The driver will install, and when you are shown the driver again, hopefully the warning symbol will be gone.  Save or Next your way back out to your computer desktop.  You should now be good to go and your One Touch Software meter downloads should work..  Good luck.

predb4

My meter is low tech and not a one touch. All I need is for my meter to be accurate and to tell me what my blood glucose is. I don't have to be connected to the internet at all. I haven't upgraded to windows 10 yet because I'm waiting until they get all the bugs out.

I can keep track of my readings with a notebook and pen. Low tech works good for me and causes no headaches. I guess that makes me an old duck who thinks computers are good for some things but not everything and I like it that way

true dat, dowling gram. 

but some of these insurance plans require that patients download this stuff as part of covering treatment for us poor diabetics.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.