Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mina1450

Low sugar levels after eating?

Mina1450

Hi, I am a mom of a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic son who is 5. I am confused as to why his sugar levels are consistently low after compensating for the carbs he eats. We were using the 30 ratio. But are now using 35 ratio to see if it helps. He also started off at 6 units of lantus and we r now down to one unit at night because his sugar levels were really low in the middle of the night after taking it. I am concerned he may have been misdiagnosed since his sugar levels are either normal or low after taking food insulin and lantus at night. Are there other tests to take to make a clear determination of type 1 diabetes? This up and down with his sugar can't be healthy for him.

NoraWI

It is very difficult to maintain steady blood sugar levels in a T1 child. Activity levels, food, possibly sporadically active pancreas and other factors contribute to the difficulty. What is the result of your child's A1c? You have to monitor your child's blood sugar very closely and adjust insulin accordingly. This is never a set it and forget it situation, even in adults.

Sobriquet

The start of insulin treatment creates what they call the "honeymoon" period- somehow the insulin kicks the pancreas into a kind of swan song, it produces insulin for a while, then stops completely. This may last for months- everyone is different.

This may be why you're reducing insulin doses at this stage.

Otherwise everything Nora said is totally true- it is not possible to have something "sorted"- the same insulin dose and the same food can produce totally different results on two different days.

My little sister was diagnosed at 5, and my poor mother tried everything to have her "cured"... Now, 30 years later, she says she wishes she had saved herself the energy, and instead focussed on developing a language with my sister to help her describe what she was feeling or what she needed.

I can't imagine how frustrating/ scary/ overwhelming it is for you - and your son... Sending you strong thoughts!

fanbrits johnson

It is very difficult to maintain steady blood sugar levels in a T1 child. I make my son exsercise a lot and dieting too ofc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.