Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Bedtime toddy

JanetP

Due to ongoing problems with liver dumps and poor sleep I have been experimenting with a nightly bedtime toddy.  2 ounces of whiskey over ice with diet coke or ginger ale.  I would go for wine, but am allergic to the sulfites in it.  I have never been much of a drinker.

I have been sleeping like a log and don't seem to be having liver dumps, morning sugars are slightly better.  However my appetite has gone through the roof!  I am starving all the time.  Before the whiskey I was rarely hungry and had to struggle to remind myself to eat.  Now I am a bottomless pit.  Previously I wasn't interested in food for hours after getting up.  Now a meal that would last for hours has me looking around for more to eat after about 3 hours.

Daytime random blood sugar checks are okay, usually in the 80's or 90's, rarely above 100 unless it is within a couple of hours after a meal and then not above 120.  Just did a home A1C and it was 5.6

What do you guys think?

Ela

Weren't you complaining that you can't keep your weight on?  Or I'm mixing you up with somebody else?

In any case - yes, alcohol is appetite stimulating.  That's a known fact.  Why do you think they bring you the drink at the restaurant first? ;)

macksvicky

It looks like it doing a great job for your numbers and for sleeping. As long as you're eating good low carb healthy food, as active as you are, it may not affect your weight :) 

Ela

If I'm having a toddy in the evening, it better be hot! I can even sleep well with Nyquil:)

Recipe please?

Another thing I forgot to mention - alcohol DOES lower BG, it's also a known fact (personally checked ;) ). 

There are theories why it happens and most common one is that liver recognizes alcohol as a poison (seriously? :o  :blink:  ;) ) and deals with it first, forgetting to go it's usual rounds and make sugar dumps.  The other theory, that maybe actually just an additional factor, that alcohol stimulates insulin production.  Don't know if that's the case, but I think it kind of also explains why it makes you hungry and then gain weight even though your BG are excellent.

Which also kind of proves that weight have little to do with BG control.

jwags

Alcohol lowers bg because it shuts down the liver. The liver has to work overtime to clear the toxins from your body. So it doesn't do its normal function of adding glucose.

JanetP

Thanks for the information, peeps.  I am not gaining weight.  Am still losing, however the rate has slowed down considerably after the first big weight loss.  I am not deliberately trying to lose weight.  It is just happening as I have gotten carbs under better control.  And carb cravings have increased since adding alcohol to the diet.  Instead of being content with tea for a few hours before eating, I am now turning the kitchen upside down looking for carbs the first thing in the morning and, of course, there are very few in the house.  I suppose that is a result of the liver not releasing glucose.

adiantum

I'm frightened to make nightcaps  a regular occurrence in case I become addicted.

Theres a woman nearby that does some strange things  &  the morning  the garbage bins are collected , hers can be heard  in the next street.

She once told me that at first alcohol helped  her to sleep but now she only gets 3 hours

Hammer

If you drink beer, well, beer bloats you and does have some nutritional value, so drinking beer doesn't make you hungry.  Drinking whiskey, well, whiskey has no nutritional value, and does in fact, make you hungry.  I drink Seagram's 7 mixed with Sprite Zero (formerly Diet Sprite), and it does make me hungry.  Drinking whiskey makes me sleepy and helps me to sleep at night, as well as keeps me regular.  When I stopped drinking whiskey, I became constipated and had trouble sleeping, so I went back to drinking whiskey and everything went back to normal.  The downside is that my liver enzymes are elevated, so when I go in for blood work in two weeks, if my liver enzymes have increased, then I'll have no choice but to stop drinking.

And yes, when you drink alcohol, your liver sees it as a toxin and stops doing everything in order to rid the body of the toxin, so it doesn't release glucose like it normally would.  This is the reason that they tell you that you shouldn't drink alcohol if you are on insulin, as it may cause your BG levels to drop too low.....you inject insulin to cover the carbs you ate, but if you drank alcohol with the meal, your liver wouldn't release glucose, so the insulin wouldn't have any glucose from the meal to work on, so you'd go low.  For me, alcohol doesn't seem to have any effect on my BG levels, and I use insulin.

Ela

Janet, just eat some almond flour cookies, fat bombs or SF chocolate or something and you'll be fine and your body will get trained that it's not carbs it's craving but just food ;)

xpDiabetes

JanetP,

While the choice is yours, my personal opinion is .. alcohol does not have any medicinal value.  In moderation it does not impact your health much, but if at all, it only has negative impact on health and nothing positive. Diabetes makes your body more susceptible other complications which may be helped further by alcohol consumption.   I did a lot of google research last month on this and finally stopped drinking and literally started refusing drinks from friends, who know that I drink.  The best way to lower your bg is to up the exercise levels.   Twice in the last six months, I ate sweets and got scared and immediately went running for 20 mins.. very surprised to see that my bg is under 110 after running.  

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/alcohol,_tobacco,_&_other_drugs/alcohol/alcohol_&_your_body.php

http://www.mydr.com.au/gastrointestinal-health/liver-and-alcohol-breakdown

This article/paper has specific information on alcohol consumption by diabetics. 

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/211.pdf

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/collegestudents/anatomy/body_nonflash.aspx

You mentioned that you are taking very small quantity.. it may not have significant impact, but I don't read that it helps the pancreas.

kooka

When I used to drink whiskey I was never hungry. Now I prefer wine but hate dry wine and the red and rose has sugar so that is out too. My brother, who is a type two, has had a hot toddy everynight for many years. Says it helps him sleep. It must not hurt him to much since he is now 94 years old.

JanetP

Thanks for the info, xp.  I am usually not a drinker and have just been experimenting since others here have reported success using alcohol at bedtime.  I tried last night and the stuff I have been drinking tasted so terrible I poured it out.  Had my usual horrible night with the 3am liver dump, sweats, very little sleep and a higher fasting sugar than it has been with alcohol.

I have tried fat and protein snacks at bedtime with no results, increasing exercise requires much more time and effort than I can put in daily, I am already fairly active and the most recent effect on my blood sugar was only after a solid 8-hour day of yardwork with shovel and rake.  I can't do that or it's equivalent every day and walking a couple of miles does not budge my sugar at all.  I can go through an hour of a strenuous yoga class and my sugar will not change.

Sleeping pills, sedatives, antidepressants, and herbal remedies, have not been effective.  The lack of sound sleep is affecting my daily functioning and I am desperate at this point.

xpDiabetes

I don't know the reason why you are not getting sleep.  Is it stress or some other medical issue is not clear.  I went though a phase of my life when I was of the opinion (in a nut shell) that the world is moving forward, while I am sleeping.  So, I had hard time sleeping. I visited a doctor and he gave me some spiritual advise and prescribed Restyl (if I remember correctly 25mg for 30 days).  After that treatment, and a slight change in mindset of taking things easy helped me.   Due to the nature of my work, my sleep pattern cannot be guaranteed (I am in Information Technology). So, instead of being on the high alert all the time, I publish my phone number to all my colleagues and ask them to call if needed.  So, I will sleep. If they call I will wake up. See if something of that sort works for you.  

You also mentioned anti depressants. Too much sleep and lack of sleep, both of them don't help depression. (personal experience). If you have depression issues, instead of using medication, I suggest you become more and more social and start enjoying humorous stuff like "Everybody Loves Raymond" or any other comedy shows of that sort. If you cannot do it yourself, you should associate with people who enjoy humor and surprisingly you will start enjoying it ATLEAST partially.  

There is a saying "Shared grief is half the sorrow, but happiness when shared, is doubled" and that is really true. So, staying in public places and in company of friends reduces the time you spend depressed and that helps you get out of it quicker.  That is better than sitting in a room with sitcoms.  If  you BG is not getting controlled, why not invest more time and energy on other issues and see if resolving them helps your BG levels as well ?

JanetP

Have given up on the bedtime toddy experiment.  It worked for a couple of days, then quit working.  Sleep study scheduled for Thursday night.

JanetP

Come to find out, one of the meds that I have been taking at bedtime because it makes me so dopey during the day interferes with the sleep cycle.  I have stopped taking it and will discuss it with my doc when I see him next week. Let's just add another one to the list of things I am hypersensitive to.  :(

I think I may also try Java's trick of going to bed with a higher blood sugar than usual and see if that helps.  It is the 3:00 am liver dumps that are getting to me.  Once I wake up I don't go back to sleep.

Kit

That's what was happening to me.  I thought I was going crazy.  (Mr Fuzzy yells that I was already there.)

The bedtime snack has helped me a lot.  Not perfect, but I normally wake up with lower numbers and if I do wake up, its not as bad and I can usually get back to sleep.

BTW - In overnight testing I have found that I do NOT go low.  I will stay pretty steady for most of the night.  but come around 3am I will jump up pretty rapidly and then slowly work my way back down.  That bed time snack doesn't really raise my levels all that much, but it does help that spike from happening.  I usually do something with just a few grams of carbs (like 3) and around 8-10g of protein.  Fat level doesn't appear to make a difference.

JanetP

When I have checked my sugars at the wake-up times they have always been within the usual range and the morning ones not much different.

adiantum

i dont know how you  guys manage to test during the night.

I go into a deep  sleep just a few minutes of going to bed & mostly stay that way for 8 or 9 hours.

If I have to  wake for the bathroom I'm like a zombie  & return to sleep in no time.

I'd never be alert enough to test

Kit

Sometimes I have set my alarm for every 2 hours so I can test.  Don't always manage to get up for it, but I usually get a few in during the course of the night.  :)

On the night's I get woken up around 3am, well there's no zombieness to it.  I am wide awake and my body thinks its time to start my day.  Getting back to sleep at this point is next to impossible.  I stay in bed, but its just out of pure stubbornness.  :)

Weird thing is, none of this happened until I started taking my evening dose of Metformin.  I still got liver dumps prior to then, but they didn't wake me up.

JanetP

Kit, that sounds exactly like what I go through and it is making me miserable.  Do you take both doses of Metformin at once now?  How is your timing different with the doses now?

Java

sorry the toddy isn't workin and the meds were messin things up too  :(

the past 3 nights i've made sure i was around 100 when goin to bed and i still wake during the night a few times to potty but i've NO night sweats so that's been good

i don't test during the night either ~ i've thought about it and brought my kit upstairs with me but then i'm all like, nah, i'm too tired and really don't care to do it

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.