Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littlebuddha

how many type 2's use fast acting insulin?

littlebuddha

I have found Jenny Ruhl's site most helpful to me to understand Diabetes and help manage my type 2 diabetes...This is the first place i found online when i was newly diagnosed about a year and a half ago... and have also learned valuable information from this forum thankfully too... 

I am a patient at Kaiser. I have not found them to be helpful much. If i had listened to them I would be pretty bad off IMO. I have went to their education classes for diabetes...have a Dr. there who is suspposed to be specifically great for diabetics and even talked with their nutrition team several times. I'M SHOCKED HOW their information is pretty horrible according to what I have learned about managing this disease. 

They told me to eat 45-65 carbs per meal and still teach post meal BG at 180 is ok. In our classes they would hold up plastic pieces of bread, fruit or bowls of rice and even say drinking alcohol is fine [not sure about that one]? If i eat the amount of carbs i go well over 300 easy peasy... also it's disturbing the nutritionist told me diabetes unfortunately advances with age.... and that seems to be contrary to other info i read if one learns to keep their BG down? 

I have learned to test to my meter. It's pretty faithful too... if i eat ONE carb it raises my BG 5ml... so for the most part i cannot eat more than 8carbs per meal or I go eaisly over 140. 

I have brought my BG down from 6.7 to 5.2 when i found a Dr. who supports LCHF diets in Littleton CO. who tested my A1C. However last time Kaiser checked me it was 5.9. Can A1C machines vary from one Dr. to another?

MY MAIN QUESTION IS:

should i be on a fast acting insulin? maintaining only 8carbs per meal isn't exactly easy.... i definitely have my moments where i don't maintain this and cheat... every time i cheat i realize i'm advancing my disease and it scares the crap out of me. ;( i feel like i do not have any resources for good Doctors in Colorado. My doctor at Kaiser told me he does not put anyone on Insulin until they have very high BG numbers... well... the only reason i don't have those high numbers WAS NOT BECAUSE I LISTENED TO KAISER... it is because i have done my own research in places like this... books and continue to read Jenny Ruhl's site.... she mentions she started eating moderate carbs for 4yrs and used Prandin for a while... if i didn't eat only 8 carbs per meal i would have high BG readings... and they easily go over 300 if i eat more carbs.... 

So do some type 2's use a fast acting insulin as well as Metformin or alone? I'm not even sure at all.... but how can i find a doctor who will help me if Kaiser doesn't do a damn thing until my disease gets worse.... this seems like horrible care no? 

I'm confused and feeling I should be able to find a Doctor to support me... not kill me.... ;( 

BTW i take 4 metformin pills a day at 500mg. So i think i'm on the full dose... I notice it helps if i take it when i eat but for other meals it doesn't help keep my BG down unless i just took it. ;(

samuraiguy

I don't use insulin, but yes, apparently A1C tests can be different from lab to lab and even within the same lab because my last A1C came back as 5.7 even though my meter 30 day (including some cheat day readings over 130 mg/dl) said my A1C should be around 5.3--mind you my previous lab A1C was 5.3 just 6 months prior and I weighed more and cheated more before that one--and the LPN told me to not sweat it because they have to test themselves to make sure their A1C equipment is in range and she said hers fluctuated by .3 to .4 in just a week (so much for Federal standards as I go to a Tribal clinic where it sounds like they worry about the vast majority of patients who have trouble keeping their A1C's under 7, let alone under 5.7).

Hammer

I am a type 2 on both a basal insulin (Lantus), and a bolus insulin (Novolog).  If your BG levels are high, and you need to eat just 8 carbs a meal, then I would think that insulin is what you need.  What is your fasting BG levels?  Myself, I try to keep my fasting BG levels between 65-80.  My after meal spikes I try to keep under 120.  Using both types of insulin, I can achieve this, and my daily carb intake is less than 100, plus I exercise by pedaling my stationary exercise bike for 60 minutes every day.

When you have idiotic doctors and nutritionists telling you the things that you mentioned, in my opinion, all they are concerned with is saving money, since they are affiliated with Kaiser.  I don't trust Kaiser, and I never will.  See if there is an endocrinologist that is in the Kaiser system that you can see, and if there is, go see them.  If that person tells you the same thing that your other doctors have told you, then find an endo outside of Kaiser.  ANY doctor that tells you that a spike of 180 is okay, or that you don't need insulin is a moron.  It's not their life that is at stake, it's yours, so you need to find a doctor that KNOWS how to properly treat diabetes, and not some quacks who are just trying to save money.

jwags

I have an ENDO appointment today. My PCP refused to add any meds or insulin, so he referred me to an ENDO. I normally eat 8-15 carbs a meal and get pps under 140 or less. But you are right. Medicare only will,pay for 1 strip a day so I want to prove to my Endo I need more strips. Now I don't normally do this but for breakfast today I ate a slice of fresh baked organic oat bread with tons of real butter. At 1 hour I was 191. I hopped on the treadmill about an hour later and did 3 miles and brought it down to 140. So carbs do make bg management very difficult. I don't mind a LC diet but would like to eat an occassional plate of pasta at holidays. I am very thin, 114 pounds and just got dx'd with diabetic retinopathy. My A1 c is 6.6. I hope the Endo is open to insulin.

Bishop

I have an ENDO appointment today. My PCP refused to add any meds or insulin, so he referred me to an ENDO. I normally eat 8-15 carbs a meal and get pps under 140 or less. But you are right. Medicare only will,pay for 1 strip a day so I want to prove to my Endo I need more strips. Now I don't normally do this but for breakfast today I ate a slice of fresh baked organic oat bread with tons of real butter. At 1 hour I was 191. I hopped on the treadmill about an hour later and did 3 miles and brought it down to 140. So carbs do make bg management very difficult. I don't mind a LC diet but would like to eat an occassional plate of pasta at holidays. I am very thin, 114 pounds and just got dx'd with diabetic retinopathy. My A1 c is 6.6. I hope the Endo is open to insulin.

hi jwags,

i've been "following you" on this forum since i joined - not in a creepy way, just great to hear about your discipline with exercise/activity and WOE, along with keeping a healthy weight.  from everything i read and continue to learn/unlearn/learn/correct/learn, it does sound like you'd be a good candidate for insulin and i hope that works out exceedingly well for you.

when/if you have the time and energy, please keep us updated with this endo outcome, insulin, and results.

wishing you the best here, along with reversal of some of these complications.

littlebuddha

thanks for taking the time to respond. much appreciated to you all. 

i guess i will try to see another doctor and an endocrinologist at Kaiser. i'm pretty disappointed in their care for sure at this point. 

@Hammer my fasting BG is usually around 105 - 110... but if i'm eating super good / very little carbs what so ever for days... i think it goes down a bit to like 95

and FWIW.... i have been walking 5 miles a day / 2hrs and i have a good 50 pds to lose. part of me thinks i should wait to see if when i get to a better weight and if i still have to eat little carbs maybe then seek out insulin to help.... 

again... thanks to everyone for sharing and listening... ;)

Fraser

Just a note on Kaiser, what you saw is pretty much what most people are taught not just at Kaiser. Not that I approve of it.

Since I had a great education in DC before changing to Kaiser, I almost asked the educator if she had a clue what she was doing.

Unfortunately most patients just want eat what they want and just take pills to offset the damage. That is really primary car is taught.

I did ask to meet with an endo or at least talk to one on the phone. Since I had an A1c of 6 no meds. Phone call was good.

There is more care available, but you need t o ask for it. I ended up just telling my PC what I was doing etc and she said ok.

Of course I was more than two years into it and knew what I was doing

It is not just Kaiser it is the system. And good luck finding a private endo. There are just not enough of them.

So it will be up to you to do the research.

jims_forum

Hammer: excellent comments and thoughts. Been there as well!]

I am a type 2 on both a basal insulin (Lantus), and a bolus insulin (Novolog).  If your BG levels are high, and you need to eat just 8 carbs a meal, then I would think that insulin is what you need.  What is your fasting BG levels?  Myself, I try to keep my fasting BG levels between 65-80.  My after meal spikes I try to keep under 120.  Using both types of insulin, I can achieve this, and my daily carb intake is less than 100, plus I exercise by pedaling my stationary exercise bike for 60 minutes every day.

When you have idiotic doctors and nutritionists telling you the things that you mentioned, in my opinion, all they are concerned with is saving money, since they are affiliated with Kaiser.  I don't trust Kaiser, and I never will.  See if there is an endocrinologist that is in the Kaiser system that you can see, and if there is, go see them.  If that person tells you the same thing that your other doctors have told you, then find an endo outside of Kaiser.  ANY doctor that tells you that a spike of 180 is okay, or that you don't need insulin is a moron.  It's not their life that is at stake, it's yours, so you need to find a doctor that KNOWS how to properly treat diabetes, and not some quacks who are just trying to save money.

littlebuddha

@Fraser.... great point. and i understand. i was COMPLETELY ignorant before this though. 

has anyone shared this video on this forum? it's the best video about this subject. and i went through EXACTLY what she describes... 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.