Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orlando

Statins, an excellent review of the subject.

stevenal

Thanks. Very interesting. I see Simvastatin in your signature. Any re-thinking this? I went off simvastin some time ago following some research and an adverse reaction.

Orlando

Thanks. Very interesting. I see Simvastatin in your signature. Any re-thinking this? I went off simvastin some time ago following some research and an adverse reaction.

I am always in two minds re the Simvastatin. Most of the literature against taking statins relates to people with with risk factors re CVD, but not yet having had a heart attack, by-pass surgery, heart failure etc. [i have done them all ] .Since going on the LCHF WOE my lipid panels are excellent. I take a very small dosage of Simvastation and dont suffer any side effects that I know of. I tried to totally eliminate the statins but then the LDL crept up again. I know that LDL is associated with heart disease and that association is not causation. I do the 10 mg dosage just to keep my figures stable and somehow keep my feet in both camps. Its generally accepted that statins ARE helpful for people who ALREADY have heart problems. If I was free froms CVD I would not take them.

ronmesnard

I tolerate statins well and my arteries are more clear than the general population my age.  One important thing I learned.  You should take them at night.  Small doses are more effective then.  They reduce the liver's production of cholesterol which only occurs while you sleep. 

Uff Da

Orlando, on your post I get the message "Sorry. Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here. Watch on Vimeo."

But then when I click on the "watch on Vimeo" it says "Private Video. To watch this video, please provide the correct password."

Do you have an alternative way for us to get to the video? 

Tjustice

I am new here but I can tell you that Statins are not for me.I was prescribed pravastatin when released from the hospital. I asked about the side effects and was given a few. I got home and a couple days later my vision was so blury.I was swollen, I itched everywhere my face was swollen, my eyes. It was awful. I felt so good in the hospital. I chucked it in the trash. My vision has never came back which went from barely needing reading glasses to 20/400 and a script for 500 dollar glasses. But the swelling and itching has finally gone away. Ugggg.I was 85 points over the norm and my heart is healthy. In hindsight they could have just told me diet changes that would have fixed my cholesterol.

BigMouithXXX

Pravastatin, is the best tolerated so statins are not for you.

Pills are far more reliable.  Most persons will not make serious life style changes but they will take a pill   Statins are not about your heart but about plaque.  Plaque is responsible for heart attacks and stroke.  Statins reduce plaque but more importantly it make the plaque harder to break off and kill you. 

notme

I cannot see the video so I cannot comment on it. I will tell you that statins are not for me either. I will never take them willingly. I took several different types of statins and all of them caused me great pain and pretty much ruined my quality of life. Some people seem to take statins with no problem.

I was able to lower my cholesterol from ridiculously high numbers to normal numbers by sticking to a low carb diet. I was tested for inflammation and there was none so my doctor allowed my to try and control my cholesterol issue on my own. My doctor has greatly softened on the statin bandwagon.

Listen to your doctor but also listen to your body. The American diet, in my eyes, is the cause of high cholesterol. Statins were the answer from the pharmaceutical companies. I reject the answer.

We can try and convince people about statins but, taking a drug to fix a problem prophylacticly is a tough, individual decision.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.