Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seagal

Diatamaceous Earth

Seagal

I was recently told about this stuff and thought it might help some of those with digestive problems, joint & arthritis issues and more.  My long time friend said she has had many benefits, the main one help with her arthritis.

There is a food grade and an insect grade.  It sounded a bit strange at first, but after doing some reading, the benefits outweigh my "ick" factor.  I'm calling it "fossil flour" for the time being and after my first dose this morning, my energy shot up and I am impressed.  Taking it mainly for joint and arthritis, but any other benefits are welcome.

I got mine from Amazon.

I thought it might help Janet, as it is so beneficial for digestive issues.

You can read about it here: http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

(I think we used to use the commercial grade in our pool filter)  (Amazing how great it works on all pets)

janice21475

I feed it to my chickens once a month to worm them. It is very difficult to find 'food grade' around here. Most of what they call food grade is full of dark clay. Not at all tasty. I hope you get more positive results. Theoretically, it should work wonders for your knees. Hope you mileage is 'High Octane.'

funkynassau

It can be used for lots of things including killing bed bugs!  My son had bed bugs in his apt. and the management had done many treatments to get rid of them, all unsuccessful.  A friend who's a farmer gave me a sack of it as he uses it for his baby calves, and son used it around the perimeter of his apt. and all walls and it did seem to get rid of the critters.  I dont know that it's meant for human consumption.  My son did move to another apt. building. 

It's supposed to be good for tomato plants!

Seagal

Yes, it is excellent for insects, fleas, barnyards, pets, carpets, etc.

I am taking the Food Grade which is not combined with clay or anything other than 300 million year old diatoms.

Yes, we used it in our pool filter also, it was not food grade.

I may be sorry I brought this up, but for those who may have IBS or any digestive problems, arthritis, fatigue....well, you get the idea and can read the information or google it to get a different perspective than the link I provided.

NoraWI

I stopped using it to worm my critters because it is harmful if it is breathed in (aspirated). I do use it mixed with sand (silica) around the chicken coop to dry the chicken poop and keep down the smell.

stevenal

"Only a trace amount of the DE silica is absorbed into the blood stream..."

So you could get the same or better effect with a better bioavailable form in a capsule, and avoid drinking mud.

CandaceV

23 years ago, we spread it in our back yard with a fertilizer spreader and haven't seen a flea since.  During this time, we've had 7 dogs in that back yard and no fleas.  If you try this, be sure to wear eye protection and a mask, it's irritating.

Seagal

I stopped using it to worm my critters because it is harmful if it is breathed in (aspirated). I do use it mixed with sand (silica) around the chicken coop to dry the chicken poop and keep down the smell.

Yes, that is one of the issues, but it is no more of a problem than breathing in flour when making a recipe.  DE is silica and yes, it will help with smells and can be sprinkled on carpet to absorb odors.  It can also be used as an exfoliant on the face or toothpaste.

Seagal

"Only a trace amount of the DE silica is absorbed into the blood stream..."

So you could get the same or better effect with a better bioavailable form in a capsule, and avoid drinking mud.

"As you can see from the picture of Diatomaceous Earth - (magnified 7,000 times) - it looks like a cylinder full of holes - kind of like Rice Chex Cereal. This cylinder has a very strong negative charge. As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they may attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides, drug residues, E.coli, and heavy metals. These are trapped inside the cylinder and passed out of the body. In addition, any larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach or digestive tract are "cut up" and killed by the sharp edges of the Diatomaceous Earth. All of these activities result in a much healthier body with less sickness. We often hear the phrase "I just feel better" with our Diatomaceous Earth users. This better feeling comes from all the "junk" being removed from the body and by helping maintain a healthy immune system."

:D There is no mud in my serving, and it is going through my digestive tract.

georgepds
I use it to kill ants.

My understanding is it gets on their feet, and they clean it off with their mouths. Once into the digestive system it rips their little insides apart. The clay does nothing, the diatomaceous earth is the active agent.

Noting How it affects ants, I'd be really hesitant to swallow some

Seagal

George, like I mentioned in the OP, the ants are eating the insect grade.  The food grade (depending on where you buy it) does not have clay.

To all, I wanted to relay some information that helps with colon polyps, digestive problems, high bp, high lipids, joint pain, hair loss and all the other benefits that make it sound like snake oil :)   That is all....I was really enthused by my friends results and the ten or so people in her "crowd" that share in the ten pound bag she buys.