Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kalisiin

Oh, My...A Low-Carb BOARD - I Am Gonna Like It Here!!

Kalisiin

Just discovered this.  As an ardent low-carber, I love that there is a board here for this!

I limit myslef to 80-100 grams of carb a day, and try to get NONE of those carbs from junk sources.  I am even happier when I manage a day below 50, but I don't always do it.

Low carb is the one thing that has totally worked for me in diabtetes..and in weight loss!  I have lost over 100 pounds in eight months following low-carb!

dowling gram

congratulations!!

Low carb works for us here too. It's the only way for a diabetic to control their blood glucose and avoid diabetic complications.

My carb intake is 60 grams a day.That's the number that keeps me in the range I want to be with a good A1C number. I wouldn't attempt to eat less carbs because it is better to keep your BG stable than to go low and high.

Can you give us an example of what you eat on a typical day and what your testing numbers are?

Kalisiin

congratulations!!

Low carb works for us here too. It's the only way for a diabetic to control their blood glucose and avoid diabetic complications.

My carb intake is 60 grams a day.That's the number that keeps me in the range I want to be with a good A1C number. I wouldn't attempt to eat less carbs because it is better to keep your BG stable than to go low and high.

Can you give us an example of what you eat on a typical day and what your testing numbers are?

Because I keep a food log that goes all the way back to July, I could give you an exact menu, if you wish.

I could also give you the daily test numbers.

Not sure how much detail you actually want...do you want just the calorie/carb counts or a detailed menu?

JanetP

Yahoo!  So glad you have been snooping around.  I try to stay below 100 gms a day, too, lower if I can manage it.  And there are people here who are much tighter with theirs.

Now if I can just get my butt out the door to start walking again.. . . .

Sure, post your information.  The more detailed the better.  Good for you to keep records.  I did for the first year or so, now I just wing it.

Kalisiin

Yahoo!  So glad you have been snooping around.  I try to stay below 100 gms a day, too, lower if I can manage it.  And there are people here who are much tighter with theirs.

Now if I can just get my butt out the door to start walking again.. . . .

Sure, post your information.  The more detailed the better.  Good for you to keep records.  I did for the first year or so, now I just wing it.

I do not think I will ever "wing it" - too much is at stake for that!

Yesterday, I had 1747 Calories. c/p/f ratio 20/23/57.

89 grams of carb 103 grams of protein, 112 grams of fat.

Here is my menu:

Breakfast 292 cal 13g 24g 16g

Morning Coffee- w/Atkins Vanilla (approx) - 32 cal 0g 3g 2g
Pumpkin Seeds, No Shell, 1 oz, Whole Foods -180 cal 4g 9g 14g
Yogurt, Greek, Dannon -Straw-Cheez/Vanilla -5.3 oz -80 cal 9g 12g 0g

Lunch 627 cal 31g 43g 35g
Apple, with Skin, raw -95 cal 25g 0g 0g
Light Meat, roasted, meat & skin Turkey (Generic) -184 cal 0g 32g 4g
Cheddar Cheese (Sharp) Food Lion, 28 grams -138 cal 1g 9g 11g
Pecans, Whole Foods - 1 oz - 210 cal 5g 2g 20g

Dinner 828 cal 45g 36g 61g
Sunflower Kernels, David, Roasted & Salted, 1 oz -48 cal 1g 2g 4g
Olive Oils (Generic) -119 cal 0g 0g 13g
Yankee Clipper Clam Chowder, with Bacon Soups & Chilis (Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes) -310 cal 21g 14g 20g
Cheddar Cheese, 2 ounces - 220 cal 2g 14g 18g
Mousse, Raspberry, Sugar-Free Desserts (Souplantation & Sweet Tomatoes) -80 cal 8g 2g 6g
Lettuce, iceberg, raw, edible portion 9 oz - 36 cal 9g 3g 0g
Carrots  1/4 oz -15 cal 4g 1g 0g

And this is on the high side of normal for carbs, low for protein, but fairly typical.  /I try for a 20/35/45 ratio, normally.

And here were my BG readings yesterday (bear in mind I ONLY test pre-prandial, as I am trying to establish a baseline) I am trying to establish a baseline with as few variables as possible, so that I have something to work from to test new things.

89 mg/dL
Pre-Breakfast

81 mg/dL
Pre-Lunch

84 mg/dL
Pre-Dinner

88 mg/dL
Night

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.