Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JanetP

Living with the D. How do you juggle things?

Seagal

I have taken cheese sticks, almond flour crackers, containers of nuts, jerky, and jello shots all through security.  This has all been Southwest or Allegiant, not American, United or one of the others.  Coming home one time, the jello had to be discarded as it was warm & soupy, TSA didn't like it and for some reason, the vodka in it was quite strong after getting warm :) .

Kit

Actually, its not the airline, its the airport in regards to security, what they will let pass, and what they won't.

On my recent trip, SeaTac airport let me walk right through security.  Didn't have to take anything out of my bags, just walked through as if I was going through the old metal detectors.

When I went through Lovefield airport, I had to remove everything out of my bags, wallet, etc, remove my shoes, stand up with my hands against the wall while they did the x-ray machine thing, etc.

I had no problems bringing a bag of nuts and a few things of string cheese with me at SeaTac.  I didn't have anything on me in Lovefield.

Moonpie

Preparation helps me alot. I try to have some basic veggies prepped & ready to go, either to make a salad or a stir fry. If all I have to do is open a bag of shredded cabbage & some pre chopped  garlic, I know I can make a quick stir fry. So at least once a week, we will chop up some cabbage, carrots, onions, peppers etc & store in a tupperware. Once a month we chop up 4 or 5 heads of garlic, & I store those in oil, in the fridge. If you have a problem chopping, those bags of coleslaw mix are great. Or bags of spinach.

Kalisiin

Preparation helps me alot. I try to have some basic veggies prepped & ready to go, either to make a salad or a stir fry. If all I have to do is open a bag of shredded cabbage & some pre chopped  garlic, I know I can make a quick stir fry. So at least once a week, we will chop up some cabbage, carrots, onions, peppers etc & store in a tupperware. Once a month we chop up 4 or 5 heads of garlic, & I store those in oil, in the fridge. If you have a problem chopping, those bags of coleslaw mix are great. Or bags of spinach.

Careful with those bags of pre-chopped coleslaw mix...sometimes they hide extra carbs in them.

Me, I am very big into nuts and seeds, so I have several tuppers full of different kinds of nuts and seeds. 

Moonpie

They may have some carbs in them, I never looked at the  label,  but some people find it hard to chop, so I think a bag of pre shredded cabbage is a better option for them, than no veg at all. We just get heads of cabbage, but we can chop, some people with arthritis or other wrist or hand problems, need to take short cuts, even if it means a few more carbs (imo)

gabrielo

I've had to make a  number of adaptations to live with diabetes.

For example, this morning I woke up with a 117, somewhat higher than I like.

Before eating breakfast, I  went out for a two mile walk in order to lower the glucose level a bit.

kooka

Not an issue after 10 years. Stay on the WOE, take the meds and go on with the rest of life making sure not to sweat the small stuff and staying peaceful and hopeful some day they will find a way to make a more accurate meter. LOL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.