Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kalisiin

Healthy Out App

Kalisiin

You should download this app!  I found out about it in a Diabetes magazine, and it really helps.  It is available for iPhone and Android, and it is free.  Personally, I use Android, I wouldn't touch an i-product with a ten-meter cattle prod.

It will allow you to customize your dietary needs...and then it will search for dishes in your area that you can have, that meet your needs.  It will show you what you can have, where you can get it...and where that restaurant is...as well as give you contact info for the restaurant.

I found this VERY USEFUL last August, when I had to travel to Joliet, Illinois, for my aunt's funeral.  I was, of course, very out of my element, a long way from familiar places in North Carolina...and needed to know what I could eat and where to get it.  I survived the Chicago trip with no BG problems thanks to this app!

Kit

Tried it out real quick. So far it seems to delight in telling me how many places I can have steamed vegetables or garden salads. I despise steamed vegetables. :)

It seems to miss a lot of good places around here that have really good options. Have to see if there is a way to submit information.

Kalisiin

Tried it out real quick. So far it seems to delight in telling me how many places I can have steamed vegetables or garden salads. I despise steamed vegetables. :)

It seems to miss a lot of good places around here that have really good options. Have to see if there is a way to submit information.

Don't know if there is.  But I will tell you...the first set of options...select as few as possible, because the first set of options limits the return results.  The Dietary Desires setting is the one that really limits return results.  I set for Atkins, Glucose Control, High Protein, and Low Carb.

The next setting is Calories, I set it for 600

Next set of options is Cuisine.  I set alll of them except Vietnamese.

Next set of options is Ingredients.  I have all selected except Pasta, Tofu and Whole Grain.

Last set of options is Type of Dish.  I have all except Burrito & Bowls, Sushi, Wrap, and Pasta selected.

Now, the way it SEEMS to work is this:

The Dietary Desires...will cause it to return ONLY those that meet ALL CRITERIA entered.  Thus, limiting those choices to the absolute necessary will return more choices.

The other categories will return all that meet ANY of the criteria, it need not meet them ALL.  So the MORE of these you select, the more is reutrned.

The app will also give you the calorie/carb counts etc for the returned dishes.  In fact, it returns full nutritional info.

You can also search by a specific restaurant name if you want.  It is a very versatile app, but it takes a little practice to get it working right for you.

For example, in my area, with my choices, I get 18 hits.  Now, in a place like Joliet, Illinois, I was getting around 150.  I live in the middle of nowhere.

Kit

I'm in a major metropolitan area.  I stopped looking at the 100s.  Most of it is showing every Subway, Denny's, Quizno's, Apple Bees, and IHOP in every town within 30 miles of here.  Oh, and for some reason Teriyaki places as well (you guessed it, steamed veggies).

For some reason I can't seem to locate anything but chains (unless its Teriyaki).  No local places at all.

Interesting concept but I have hit a few fatal flaws.  Their opinion of low carb/atkins and my opinion differ greatly.  One was suggested that was 27g of carbs.  That's pretty close to my daily limit and 27g in one meal would spike me pretty badly.  Also, they seemed to severely lack a concept of the difference between there being something you can eat for a meal and "hey they have mushrooms.  Go for it".

comedy

I'm in a major metropolitan area.  I stopped looking at the 100s.  Most of it is showing every Subway, Denny's, Quizno's, Apple Bees, and IHOP in every town within 30 miles of here.  Oh, and for some reason Teriyaki places as well (you guessed it, steamed veggies).

For some reason I can't seem to locate anything but chains (unless its Teriyaki).  No local places at all.

Interesting concept but I have hit a few fatal flaws.  Their opinion of low carb/atkins and my opinion differ greatly.  One was suggested that was 27g of carbs.  That's pretty close to my daily limit and 27g in one meal would spike me pretty badly.  Also, they seemed to severely lack a concept of the difference between there being something you can eat for a meal and "hey they have mushrooms.  Go for it".

Thanks for the evaluation. I was prepared to ignore my dislike of being told I 'must' or 'should' do anything, and thus considered downloading it from the iTunes store. But I already know that I can get food at Subway and other fast food places plus pubs, anywhere in Australia, that will be cheap to buy and do me no harm. So it's a relief to know that I didn't need to go to the trouble.

But just out of interest, does it cover Brisbane, Australia? That's my nearest large city.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.