Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

Indian (restaurant) Food

Bishop

I've certainly cut back on eating out but given that I was near 90% eating out, that isn't saying much.  That said, I do watch what I eat when eating out in terms of carbs, unknowns, and portion sizes, realizing that I can never be sure about what's in my food.

It's worked out fairly well in terms of my educated guessing and follow up testing, but one area I've not been able to jump back into was Indian restaurant food.  I LOVE Indian food and used to have it regularly, but don't know my way around the menu as well as I should and especially given the large number of dishes I've tried and loved, including street chaats and similar.

In the same way that I can and still do eat a TON of Chinese food almost every day - low to very low carb - no problem, despite the typical stigma associated with Chinese food and hidden carbs, I suspect there must be a way to navigate a far richer menu of low or lower carb Indian food in restaurants.  I just cannot think of any even after finding a few online tips like https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/library/articles/dining-out-indian-style and of course, recipes, but I'm talking more about what to do at restaurants vs. making stuff at home, in this case.

Any tips or guidelines well beyond the staying way from naan, rice dishes, all of the potato dishes, and so on?  It's certainly not the end of the world if I have to continue to cut back on Indian restaurant trips, but I suspect it's more of an ignorance things on my side.

Any Paleo or low carb Indian restaurants popping up in your 'hood?   =)   (The Whole Foods Paleo buffet is popular here and quite convenient.)

jwags

We are going out Indian tomorrow for my son's birthday. I do really well with the Baigan Bartha or any of the curry dishes. Many of their dishes are made withncoconut milk which is really good for my bgs. I try to stay away from the rice but I always cave on the Naan.

Moonpie

I look for a tandoori dish, that is more like a dry rubbed grilled or baked dish. It is good with the raita ( the cucumber salad).

Moonpie

as mentioned I normally stick to tandoor fish or chicken but we also share a veggie plate, one of my faves is the mushroom mutter. I do eat some naan or chapati, but as we only eat Indian, out, about once a year, I feel it is OK. ( we don't eat out often)

mbc1963

There's a fabulous Indian buffet near my house. I haven't been since I was diagnosed. For me, the best part of the buffet was lots of rice with little tastes of all the foods and sauces on it, plus LOTS of naan dipped in the sauces as well. And the rice pudding for dessert.

I have eaten out at "formal" Indian restaurants and did OK eating just chicken korma. I got some for takeout the other day and it didn't spike me. I think the sauce is largely cream and onions on that.

I do miss me some naan!!

xpDiabetes

I think you already noted the most important point. Keep away from Naan and Rice.  Primarily there is South Indian and North Indian foods.  Most of the breakfast items in South India are full of carbs. This includes the most famous Dosa and Idly.   For lunch and dinner,  the South Indian curries (or Vegetables) and other sauces are very difficult to consume directly without rice.   North Indian Vegetable preparations are compatible with Naan, Roti and to a lesser extent  with rice. I find it easy to eat the North Indian Vegetable preparations directly without using Naan or Roti or Rice.  I can eat as much vegetable as I can at either places without significant rise in BG.  But restaurant food is very greasy compare to how it is made at home. I usually stick to Paneer, Vegetable and Daal based items and just take one piece of Naan so that I don't look odd. :-)   But I wont eat the Naan anyway. This has been my experience so far. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.