Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaurenJ

One Time Very High Glucose Overnight?

LaurenJ

Hi, I'm almost 15 weeks pregnant and have had good control. Tonight I just had my first really high bg level overnight! Before bed I was having low bg and accidentally over compensating on 2 snacks. One of those being a kashi bar and the other a small pack of organic fruit snacks. I went to bed... Woke up a few hours later to bg at 304!?!? I panicked and bolused. Woke up anorher 3 hours later to bg st 260. I feel horrible at this point. I bolused again, drank some water, and now waiting. I am so worried about my baby, I could just burst into tears! If I'm feeling sick, how is this affecting my baby? Has this happened to anyone of you before or any advice? What a nightmare.

JuliaDay2013

Scary! I was not diabetic during pregnancy as far as I know, but I understand your worries. No sugar allowed! Fruit snacks are just fruit juices and other carbs/sugars.

LaurenJ

Yes, I normally eat low carb and have had very good control so far. It was definitely the only time that has happened during my pregnancy but I'm still worried. I don't eat sugar or fruit snacks but I was suffering from a severe low at the time and it seemed like a good choice to quickly raise my low bg. 15 carbs worth of organic fruit snacks. Was very surprised how high my sugar went. Don't remember having a reading that high for so long with my daughter!

Uff Da

I know that the usual advice for a low from the professionals seems to "take 15 grams of fast-acting carbs."  That may make sense for a 260 pound individual whose blood sugar rises only three points per gram of carb.  But for lighter individuals and for those whose individual reactions to carbs is very different, it often leads to major highs.  

I've done tests and learned that for carbs like glucose tabs and milk, my blood sugar rises between eight and ten points per gram of carb. So if I had a low of 50, for example, and I took 15 grams of carb, my BG would end up somewhere between 170 and 200, assuming that I didn't have any insulin on board or food that hadn't yet digested.  So I've concluded that for me, unless my low is lower than 40 (or I have reason to believe I still have more insulin on board), usually a mere four grams carb will bring me to over 70. After that happens, I can eat more if necessary to bring my BG up to the point I want it until the next meal.

For your BG to go over 300 from a 15 gram snack, perhaps you had an after-meal low where your insulin took effect before enough food was digested to keep the BG above 70.  Then the food digesting brought the BG so high.  Or you might be an individual whose liver gets overactive after a low and you get a rebound high.  If that's the case, it is much more difficult to anticipate what will happen after a bad low.  I've never had a rebound high, so have never had to take that into consideration.

I hope you are feeling better by now.

LaurenJ

Thanks so much for the info & advice! I really need it. Lows have definitely been my most challenging obstacle when it comes to tight control. I can never seem to prevent a high afterward, but that was especially high. I think the problem was a combination of factors that you mentioned above! I'm back to near perfect bg again so feeling relieved! Baby is doing well. Got a fetal doppler which has helped put my mind at ease. Turned 15 weeks today! Yay!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.