Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barry6547

Hunger

Barry6547

Being Pre-D, I try to keep my intake of carbs low, which = high fat as well.  A typical breakfast might be eggs and bacon or eggs and sausage... that's pretty much the breakfast fare.  My low carb lunches may be:  hamburger steak or grilled chicken breast, a basic lettuce salad, and two vegetable servings such as mustard greens and cabbage, or turnip greens and broccoli.  The above listed meals keep my bg levels below 100 or at the most a couple of points above.  The problem is that 2 hours later I'm hungry.  So this presents two issues:  Why am I hungry only two hours after meals and what snacks might satiate the hunger, keeping in mind that with the low carb meals mentioned my postprandials are fine?  

Any suggestions on what I might change in my meals to keep the bg numbers low, but also satisfy the hunger for longer than a couple of hours?  And what snacks might really be filling while not increasing bg levels?

Moonpie

Cheese sticks, celery are my faves. Looks like you might want to add some fat to lunch. ( maybe an avocado, or some cheese on your protein)

Barry6547

I agree that adding cheese might make a difference but consumption of cheese and other dairy products on a regular basis tends to cause intestinal upset.  Celery alone might not be enough to calm the hunger unless I added something with some fat to it.

kooka

Are you putting butter on your veggies? Grilled chicken has little fat. Fat will keep you full. If you have some coconut oil eat a spoonful when you feel hungry. I had a scrambled egg, three pieces of bacon, 2 cups of coffee w/ heavy cream and a cup of tea this morning. I forgot about lunch because I never got hungry.

kayell

"Why am I hungry only two hours after meals?"

You need to eat more fat. You cut calories when you lowered carbs. You need to make up those calories somewhere. You can only eat a certain amount of protein, so the answer is more fat. Fatty meats, fatty fish, cheese, avocados, olive, olive oil, nuts...

What snacks might satiate the hunger, keeping in mind that with the low carb meals mentioned my postprandials are fine?

Nuts, meat, low carb veg with guacamole....

Any suggestions on what I might change in my meals to keep the bg numbers low, but also satisfy the hunger for longer than a couple of hours?  And what snacks might really be filling while not increasing bg levels?

Add some fat. Bacon or cheese or olive oil on the veg, fatty cuts of meat (skip the chicken breasts and have a steak or some salmon). 

Barry6547

I tend to eat too many nuts...the wrong kind obviously as they are cashews mainly...but have been trying to eat more walnuts and almonds....

This may seem obscene...but dealing with the hunger after my evening meal finds my flirting with what are called low carb tortillas....the packaging

indicates 19 carbs and 15 grams dietary fat...so they are calling that a 4 gram carb tortilla....I stick one in the oven with olive oil spread across it...and

bake for about 6 minutes.  I haven't check my bg since eating those...but they taste so good...that I have to fight not eating several more!  Another 

act of desperation for dealing with hunger after my evening meal is to pop open a can of vienna sausages....

So, looks like I should be on the search for fat to add to all my meals......

Seagal

yes, more fat.  Add some pork rinds to the salad (croutons), use for a snack with some siracha sauce or something similar.

I haven't had it in a long time, but take a handful of pork rinds, sprinkle with siracha and some cheese and nuke.  It is very satisfying and seems rather sinful, but is low in carbs.  Sometimes I had a spoon of minced jalapenos or bit of olives.  Sort of like a pork rind pizza ;)

kooka

Two many nuts will cause you intestinal  distress because of the fiber. Try flax meal sprinkled on your veggies, salads etc. It's pure fiber and will help you feel full too.

jwags

I would add foods with significant fiber. I make cookies and bsrs using flaxseed ,almond and coconut flour. the fiber swells in your gut to keep you satisfied.

Barry6547

Seagal, the pork rinds you are referring to are the crispy ones in the bag on the potato chip aisle?  I can eat a whole bag of those!  I remember when growing up we had

the real thing...the real pork rinds....but haven't had such in a long time.....

Moonpie

Seagal, the pork rinds you are referring to are the crispy ones in the bag on the potato chip aisle?  I can eat a whole bag of those!  I remember when growing up we had

the real thing...the real pork rinds....but haven't had such in a long time.....

You might want to check out some of the Latin delis, there is a place here, in San Francisco that does them fresh once a week. Surely Florida must have such a place.

dowling gram

Add flax meal to your salad or sprinkled on the meat or vegetables or make a flax and almond flour muffin in a mug. I also make flax and almond flour ginger cookies that I eat for snacks. Both recipes as well as others using flax are in our recipe section.

Flax has almost as much fiber as it has carbs and lots of calories and good fat. Because it has so much fiber and fat it keeps you full longer. Just make sure you don't eat more than 1/4 cup per day or that fiber will keep you running to the bathroom.

comedy

You can make your own pork rinds. Buy a raw one from your butcher, cook it for a bit until it's soft, then cut it up with kitchen scissors and finish the cooking. This recipe is one I've found to work perfectly: 

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/05/26/how-to-make-crackling/

Note that 'crackling' is what you lot call pork rinds. :)

Jody

I don't snack between meals and am never hungry.   I eat a handful of nuts with lunch and often dinner, too.  I do not shy away from cheese and I also have been making almond flour crackers.  I eat dessert (low carb) with lunch and dinner - just makes me feel like I 'hit the spot' after the meal.  I also use PGX fiber granules - more to try to lower blood sugar but supposedly helps keep you full longer.  But mainly, I would try adding more fat, like others say. 

I love Peanut butter, Fraser.  Eat it every day at breakfast.  High in Omega 6 (not good) but the kind I buy actually has a lot of the peanut oil replaced with palm oil (Skippy Natural) ... so I've wondered if that's actually an improvement - palm oil being saturated fat.  I don't know.  I really don't care ... peanut butter is worth many sins!! :)

comedy

When buying peanut butter, check the ingredients to make sure it's only got peanuts in it. Most of the commercial brands have added sugar.

And if you like almonds, getting some natural almond butter would be better than peanut butter. Once again, look at the ingredients to make sure there is nothing added. Or you could make your own in the blender, of course.

Barry6547

Regarding peanut butter, I have always been told that I should eat tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts and macadamias...and that peanuts are carby...but that's what's in peanut butter...and believe me, I love the Publix brand natural peanut butter....when I open a new jar, it takes a few minutes to stir in the oil which is on the top....and then spread a generous amount of the peanut butter on 1/2 whole grain crisp bread or whole grain cracker...which are supposedly 3 or 4 carbs....two tablespoons of the peanut butter = 16 grams fat, 6 grams carbs and 2 grams fiber....I just don't know if I could be satisfied with two TBS of the peanut butter.  

I was incorrect at the top of this post about the whole grain tortillas....they are 19 grams carbs...and 15 grams fiber (not fat).  It sounds like I need to come up with a plan to get more fat with my meals...and find foods that will cause my bg to spike if I am having a snack.....

I appreciate all the feedback ....and will try to make changes...it's just been so frustrating eating a good meal (but not enough fat, and maybe fiber) and then later eating something else to satisfy the following hunger...knowing that my choices have compromised my bg...  

Fraser

so behind the post, my family's favorite was a BLT on toast. with peanut butter. I have yet to be able to do anything with bread.

; - ). The rest sounds good.

ronmesnard

Barry you may be similar to me.  Low carb keeps me hungry.  Nuts, etc only help some.  I either just go hungry and I lose a pound or two a week or I up my carbs.  I usually eat a moderate to low carb.  When I do I pick heavy starch with low GI.  These are slow release carbs.  They usually are loaded with fiber.  Some complex sugars such as cellulose are never digested.  Other complex sugars and resistant starch are digested in the lower gut by microbes.  This fiber does not contribute to your BG because the by products are methane and small chain fatty acids (SCFAs). These SCFAs are beneficial for gut health and metabolism.  A side benefit is at least some of the bacteria that do this produce proteins that help diabetics.   My suggestions are basmati rice grown in the punjab.  This is the coldest region that rice can grow.  This rice has more resistant starch than the same rice grown in warmer regions.  This rice with the most resistant starch is fluffy when properly cooked.  Indians prize fluffy rice which is good for us.  This rice is more expensive and is labeled in a way to indicate where it was grown.  The other is pasta with while fiber.  Barila keeps cutting down the resistant starch in their white fiber pasta to the point I can't eat it much any more and I have to be careful with portion sizes when I do.  They have a wheat  that produces a 40% resistant starch which is even more than the best rice.  They started cutting it back to 20% which is worse that the best rice and I have seen them cut the fiber even more.  

I would take care eating these foods.  Start with small portion sizes and test at 1, 2 and 4 hrs after your meal.  If your 4 hr is high, continue to test until it comes down.  Other safer foods are beans and the cabbage family.  They are less satisfying than the heavier starch.  All feed those good bacteria.  I find these foods satisfy and keep me less hungry longer.  Think of them as slow release carbs. You want to size your proportions so the BG high doesn't reach 140.  

kayell

If you try this ^^^ be SURE to test, test, test. Rice and even beans ALWAYS make my bg numbers skyrocket. And my hunger level too. We're all different, but please be cautious with any proposed carb rich solution.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.